PNB fraud: Choksi denies any truth in allegations | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs PNB fraud: Choksi denies any truth in allegations – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

India

PNB fraud: Choksi denies any truth in allegations

Published

on

Mehul Choksi

New Delhi, July 27: Fugitive diamond jeweller Mehul Choksi, who is wanted by Indian investigative agencies in the Rs 13,500 crore Punjab National Bank (PNB) fraud case, has denied “any truth in the allegations”.

In a statement issued to a Caribbean newspaper ‘Antigua Observer’, Choksi through his attorney David Dorsett said: “I can say categorically, that there is no truth in those allegations.”

On or about July 24, the Citizenship by Investment Unit (CIU) issued a press statement in response to an online story from an Indian media outlet reporting on certain allegations made against Choksi by the Indian authorities and the media.

According to this CIU statement on Wednesday, Choksi was granted citizenship by registration in November 2017 and he swore the Oath of Allegiance in Antigua on January 15, 2018.

The CIU also said that Choksi’s application was granted “after robust due diligence and international investigation by reputable agencies, including the International Criminal Police Organization (Interpol) and the CARICOM Implementing Agency for Crime and Security (IMPACS)”.

The CIU also said that “the 2017 investigation revealed no derogatory information about Choksi”.

The owner of the Gitanjali group firms further said that in January 2018, “I had need to visit the US to receive medical treatment. Having received treatment I am still in a state convalescence.”

“That being the case, I have decided to reside in Antigua and Barbuda, the country of my citizenship, and to abide by the laws of the country,” he said.

His remarks came three days after the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) said it had written to the Antiguan authorities seeking details of Choksi’s whereabouts in connection with the PNB fraud case.

On Tuesday it was revealed that Choksi had moved to Antigua from the US several weeks ago using an Antiguan passport.

The revelation came from Antiguan authorities in response to a CBI diffusion notice circulated to foreign countries through Interpol.

The CBI came to know of it last week and shared the information with the Enforcement Directorate (ED). Both the CBI and the ED have been probing the multi-crore fraud allegedly committed between 2011-2017 by Choksi and his nephew Nirav Modi.

Choksi also said that “I can, however, state that I lawfully applied to be registered as a citizen of Antigua and Barbuda under the Citizenship by Investment Program.

“During the course of my application I did all that was lawfully required of me to do,” he claimed, adding, “My application for citizenship was in due course approved.”

Choksi also claimed that his application was motivated by his desire to expand his business interest in the Caribbean and to obtain visa free travel access to 130 countries.

“That remains my reason for choosing to become a citizen of Antigua and Barbuda,” he said.

The red corner notice (RCN) request from the CBI to the Interpol against Choksi is still pending.

Earlier in July, the Interpol issued the RCN against fugitive diamond jeweller Nirav Modi, his brother, a Belgian national, Nishal Modi and an executive of his firm Subhash Parab.

IANS

India

Espionage case: Court reserves order on journalist’s bail plea

Published

on

By

Judiciary Court

New Delhi, Sep 28 (IANS) A Delhi court on Monday reserved its order after hearing the arguments on the bail application filed by freelance journalist Rajeev Sharma in the Chinese espionage case.

On September 14, the Delhi Police’s Special Cell had arrested the 61-year-old journalist for allegedly working for Chinese intelligence. During search of a house, a laptop, some confidential documents related to Indian defence and incriminating papers were seized.

Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Pawan Singh Rajawat heard the contentions put forth by the Delhi Police and Sharma’s counsel for one and a half hours and reserved the matter for order, said senior advocate Adish C. Aggarwala, representing the accused.

In the bail application moved by advocate Amish Aggarwala and Adish Aggarwala, Sharma claimed innocence, asserting that he did not commit any crime and has been framed in a false case. “The applicant has not committed any offence,” his plea added.

In the written submission before the court on Monday, Sharma’s counsel said that he has been illegally detained, and the police have deliberately made vague accusations about his confessional statements.

“It is undisputed by the prosecution that the applicant has clear antecedents, and there is no possibility of him fleeing justice, influencing witnesses or tampering with evidence,” the written submission further stated.

Pursuant to Sharma’s arrest, Chinese woman Qing Shi and her Nepalese partner Sher Singh alias Raj Bohra were also arrested as they were found supplying Sharma with huge amounts of money, routed through hawala channels, for conveying sensitive information to Chinese intelligence.

According to the police, an input was received from an intelligence agency that Sharma had links with a foreign intelligence officer and has been receiving funds from his handler, through illegal means and Western Union money transfer, for conveying sensitive information about national security and foreign relations.

A case under Section 3 (possession of any sketch, plan, model, article, note, document or information, which relates to munitions of war), 4 (Communications with foreign agents) and 5 (Wrongful communication of information) of the Official Secrets Act was registered on September 13 and Sharma arrested the next day.

On interrogation, Rajeev Sharma allegedly disclosed his involvement in the procurement of secret and sensitive information and conveying the same to his Chinese handlers Michael and George, based in Kunming, China, through different digital channels. He further is said to have disclosed that he was about to send these recovered secret documents to his handlers.

–IANS

Continue Reading

India

Jharkhand Education Minister tests Covid positive

Published

on

By

Corona-Virus

Jharkhand Education Minister Jaggarnath Mahto has tested coronavirus positive on Monday.

He has been admitted at Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS), Ranchi for treatment. Initially he was suffering from breathing problem. He was admitted in Intensive care Unit (ICU) for treatment and later shifted to the COVID ward.

“The minister’s condition is stable. He has been put on high flow of oxygen support system. We are watching his condition. After improvement in health condition his CT scan will be done,” said Dr Nisith Ekka, posted in Covid task department of RIMS.

Two years ago the Education Minister had suffered a heart attack. His angioplasty was done in 2018.

In the last 24 hours, 974 fresh cases of coronavirus have emerged across the state taking the overall tally of Covid-19 patients in Jharkhand to 79,909 while 9 deaths have pushed the overall death count to 679 in the state. The mortality rate among the patients currently stands at 0.84 per cent.

As per the information provided by the health department the number of active cases in the state was 12,433 while number of cured and discharged cases stood at 66,797.

Despite the rampant rise in coronavirus cases across the state the recovery rate of Covid-19 patients has improved significantly and has once again gone above 80 per cent to currently stand at 83.40 per cent in Jharkhand.

So far in the state, 20,71,991 samples have been collected out of which 20,59,696 have been tested and 19,79,787 have turned out to be negative.

Source: IANS

Continue Reading

India

Pak continues unprovoked LoC ceasefire violation in Rajouri

Published

on

By

Jammu and Kashmir Shopian Indian Army

Pakistan resorted to unprovoked firing and shelling on Indian positions today on the Line of Control in J&K’s Rajouri district.

“At about 3.50 p.m. today, Pakistan initiated unprovoked ceasefire violation by firing with small arms and shelling with mortars along the LoC in Nowshera sector of Rajouri district.

“The Indian Army is retaliating befittingly,” said Colonel Devender Anand, defence ministry spokesman.

Since the beginning of this year, Pakistan has been violating with impunity the bilateral ceasefire agreement signed by the two countries in 1999.

24 civilians have been killed and over 100 injured in over 3,186 ceasefire violations by Pakistan on the LoC since January 2020.

Cross-border shelling has brought insurmountable suffering in the lives of thousands of people living in villages close to the LoC whose lives, cattle and agricultural fields stand at great peril when shells start raining from across the LoC.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular

Corona Virus (COVID-19) Live Data

COVID-19 affects different people in different ways. Most infected people will develop mild to moderate illness and recover without hospitalization.