This is Day 2 of US President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump’s first official visit to India. While addressing top business leaders at a special session in the US Embassy, Trump said that Washington is working out a trade deal with Delhi.
During a press briefing, Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla said that the issue of CAA did not come up during discussions between the two leaders. He also said that India has raised the issue of H1-B visa with the US and highlighted the contribution of Indian professionals in the IT sector.
Earlier in the day, Trump and PM Modi held bilateral discussions at the Hyderabad House. After the discussion, Trump announced that the two countries have finalised defence deals worth $3 billion and asserted that their focus was on having a comprehensive trade deal.
Meanwhile, Melania Trump visited a Delhi government school.
The US President is expected to hold a CEO roundtable later in the day before President Ram Nath Kovind hosts a state banquet for Trump.
- US President Donald Trump: India is going to be a tremendous player over the next period of 50 years, or 100 years. India has a lot of potential. India has got a phenomenal future.
- US President Donald Trump: We discussed about Muslims and Christians and we talked about religious liberty. PM Modi told me that they are working very closely with the Muslim community.
- US President Donald Trump: When we look at all the things that we have seen today, I just think India is an inredible country. This is a diplomacy of great friendship and respect. I respect your Prime Minister, and it’s going to work out very well.
- US President Donald Trump: We know the problems (about the trade deal). Previous administration had no clue. We can do that. Everybody said we won’t be able to do a deal with China, but we did a deal with China. We are working it out.
- US President Donald Trump: We talked a lot about Pakistan. I have a very good relationship with Pakistan PM (Imran) Khan. India is a brave nation, and I said I will help because my relationship with both the leaders is good. Anything I can do to mediate, I will do. There are two sides to every story, and they are working on it. PM Modi is a very religious and calm man, but he is a very strong person. He is very tough. He has got that foremost in his mind, terrorism and he will take care of it.
- US President Donald Trump on clashes in New Delhi and CAA: We did talk about religious freedom, and PM Modi wants people to have religiuous freedom… India has really worked hard on religious freedom. We talked about it for a long time. I didn’t discuss Delhi violence with him, that’s up to India.
- US President Donald Trump: I don’t think anybody has done more than I have (about radical Islamic terrorism)… Suleimani is gone, he is no longer putting roadside bombs. He was the king of that.
- US President Donald Trump: India would like to see it (Afghanistan peace deal) happen. I spoke to PM Modi today and he would like to see it happen. We are close. Everybody is happy about it, even people who are normally against me.
- US President Donald Trump: It was a fantastic two days. We had a great time, we had great meetings. This is a tremendous country.