PM Modi chairs high level meeting on Uri attack | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs PM Modi chairs high level meeting on Uri attack – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

India

PM Modi chairs high level meeting on Uri attack

Published

on

Narendra Modi

New Delhi, Sep 19, 2016: In the backdrop of the terror attack on Jammu and Kashmir’s Uri, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday chaired a high-level meeting to review the situation in the state and other parts of the country.

According to official sources, the meeting was attended by Home Minister Rajnath Singh, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, Defence Minster Manohar Parrikar, National Security Adviser Ajit Doval, Army Chief Gen. Dalbir Singh Suhag and other senior officials in the PMO, Defence Ministry and the Home Ministry.

The meeting assessed the ground situation in bordering areas in states like Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab and Gujarat.

At the meeting, the Prime Minister was also briefed about the use of “incendiary” ammunition by the terrorists, though such ammunition can be found only with army establishments, a source said.

Former Army Chief Gen. Bikram Singh had said on Sunday that the presence of “incendiary” ammunition “only supports the point that it (the attack) was backed and sponsored by the Pakistani establishment”.

The meeting was held shortly after the Home Minister reviewed the situation along the border and the Line of Control (LoC).

At a review meeting presided by Rajnath Singh earlier, the Home Ministry officials were directed to also coordinate with states like Punjab and Gujarat.

In Punjab, the bordering districts of Pathankot and Gurdaspur have been put on high alert.

India has put the blame on Pakistan for the Sunday morning attack as the weapons recovered had Pakistan’s stamps. While, the Prime Minister asserted that the perpetrators will not go unpunished.

Wefornews Bureau

Health

WHO Acknowledges Success of Dharavi Model in Arresting Covid-19 Spread

“Across all walks of life, we are all being tested to the limit,” Tedros said, “from countries where there is exponential growth, to places that are loosening restrictions and now starting to see cases rise.

Published

on

By

dharavi mumbai

The World Health Organization (WHO) on Friday acknowledged the success of the steps followed in Mumbai’s Dharavi to contain the coronavirus, saying community engagement and testing is key to breaking the chain of transmission of the disease.

Dharavi, one of the largest slums in Asia, on Friday reported 12 new cases, taking its tally to 2,359. Dharavi currently has 166 active cases and 1,952 patients have been discharged from hospitals following recovery so far.

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the examples of Italy, Spain, South Korea and India’s biggest slum showed that however bad a outbreak was, the virus could still be reined in through aggressive action.

“In the last six weeks cases have more than doubled,” Tedros told a virtual press conference in Geneva.

However, “there are many examples from around the world that have shown that even if the outbreak is very intense, it can still be brought back under control,” said Tedros.

“And some of these examples are Italy, Spain and South Korea, and even in Dharavi — a densely packed area in the megacity of Mumbai — a strong focus on community engagement and the basics of testing, tracing, isolating and treating all those that are sick is key to breaking the chains of transmission and suppressing the virus.”

The novel coronavirus has killed at least 555,000 people worldwide since the outbreak emerged in China last December, according to a tally from official sources compiled by AFP on Friday.

Nearly 12.3 million cases have been registered in 196 countries and territories.

“Across all walks of life, we are all being tested to the limit,” Tedros said, “from countries where there is exponential growth, to places that are loosening restrictions and now starting to see cases rise.

“Only aggressive action combined with national unity and global solidarity can turn this pandemic around.”

Continue Reading

India

Supreme Court notice to Centre, Assam on plea opposing delimitation

The petitioner has urged the apex court to defer the delimitation exercise until the Covid-19 pandemic is over.

Published

on

By

Delimitation Act 2002 in North East

New Delhi July 10 : The Supreme Court on Friday sought a response from Centre and Assam government on a plea by the state”s AIUDF party, seeking to defer the delimitation of Assembly and Parliamentary constituencies in the state.

A bench, headed by Chief Justice S.A. Bobde and comprising Justices R. Subhash Reddy and A.S. Bopanna, after brief hearing, issued notice.

“The decision to conduct the pending process of delimitation of Assembly and Parliamentary constituencies, is not only an arbitrary and hasty decision, but stands contrary to the very idea behind conducting delimitation inasmuch as the present delimitation exercise is sought to be conducted on the basis of Census 2001, while Census 2011 has already been conducted and Census 2021 is underway,” said the plea filed by the All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF).

The petition sought quashing of February 28 order which rescinded the February 8, 2008 notification that had deferred the process of delimitation in Assam. The petitioner has urged the apex court to defer the delimitation exercise until the Covid-19 pandemic is over.

The plea contended that the NRC for Assam is yet to be completed and the delimitation process was earlier deferred in 2008 on the grounds that the 2001 census was outdated. The process of delimitation in Assam, in 2008, had invoked strong opposition in the state, with apprehensions of breakdown of public order.

“Because this exercise has a direct impact on all the citizens of the state of Assam and if an election is held based on a flawed delimitation, it would be very difficult to reverse the damage that it will cause. Because there is no reason for the urgency shown on behalf of the respondents, that although the next census is due, the respondents prefer not to wait for the fresh data but instead insist on relying upon outdated data for delimitation,” said the plea.

The petitioners argued that delimitation is a complex procedure which impacts citizens rights to vote for their preferred candidates for a long time and unless the data is up to date, delimitation of constituencies and redrawing them will cause a large number of voters to be left out. “Delimitation proposed to be carried will change the constituencies and will have an impact on the voting rights and preferences of large number of voters and have great impact on candidates,” said the plea

Continue Reading

Health

AIIMS JPNATC MS replaced after report on journo’s death filed

The journalist worked for a Hindi daily and lived with his wife and two children in northeast Delhi”s Bhajanpura.

Published

on

By

Harsh Vardhan

New Delhi, July 11 : Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Harsh Vardhan ordered immediate replacement of Medical Superintendent of AIIMS Jai Prakash Narayan Apex Trauma Centre (JPNATC) after a 4-member inquiry committee constituted to examine the suicide of journalist Tarun Sisodiya submitted its reported.

The report submitted by the committee on Friday said that no malafide intent was found in the death of the journalist.

“Directed that an expert committee be constituted to suggest suitable changes in administration, for AIIMS as well as JPNATC. The report, along with its recommendations, shall be submitted before me by July 27, 2020,” Harsh Vardhan tweeted.

“The committee did not find any malafide intent in the death of Mr Sisodiya. It also did not find any lapses in the treatment protocol of #Covid19,” he said.

Earlier, a 37-year-old journalist undergoing treatment for COVID-19 at the AIIMS Trauma Centre in Delhi since June 24 died after allegedly jumping off the fourth floor of the hospital building on July 6.

The journalist worked for a Hindi daily and lived with his wife and two children in northeast Delhi”s Bhajanpura.

Following the incident, Union Health Minister then asked the AIIMS Director to set a panel to probe the matter.

He was making significant recovery from COVID symptoms. He earlier underwent a surgery for frontal lobe meningioma (a type of brain tumour) at the G B Pant hospital in March 2020.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular