Plea against magisterial order in Nirbhaya case dismissed | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Plea against magisterial order in Nirbhaya case dismissed – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

India

Plea against magisterial order in Nirbhaya case dismissed

Published

on

Judiciary Court

New Delhi: A Delhi sessions court on Monday dismissed the application challenging recent magisterial order that rejected the plea questioning the credibility of the sole witness in the Nirbhaya gangrape and fatal assault case, claiming he was tutored and his statement was not credible.

Additional Sessions Judge A.K. Jain pronounced the order on the plea filed on Thursday by Heera Lal Gupta, father of Nirbhaya death-row convict Pawan Gupta.

On January 6, Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Sudhir Kumar Sirohi had dismissed the application of the convict’s father questioning the credibility of the sole eyewitness in the case.

The complaint cited some recent media reports that alleged the witness charged money to appear for interviews on news channels, advocate A.P. Singh said.

The eyewitness, a friend of 23-year-old victim, was accompanying her in the bus when the incident took place. He had also sustained injuries.

“This calls for an independent investigation into the perjury that appears to have been committed by him (witness), as being the sole witness his testimony has strongly influenced the outcome of the case leading to death penalty,” the complaint said.

While citing the media reports, the advocate said, “On the basis of said facts and circumstances, it’s clear his testimony was false and fabricated. This goes to the root of his testimony. If established, it would show that the testimony is false.”

The victim was gangraped and tortured on December 16, 2012, which led to her death. All the six accused were arrested and charged with sexual assault and murder. One of the accused, a minor, appeared before a juvenile justice court, while another committed suicide in Tihar Jail.

Four convicts were sentenced to death by a trial court in September 2013. The verdict was confirmed by the Delhi High Court in March 2014 and upheld by the Supreme Court in May 2017, which also dismissed their review petition in July 2018.

Cities

Police fire to disperse crowd after protesters target riot vehicle

Rioters used stones, sticks and country-made firearms as pro- and anti-CAA demonstrators clashed.

Published

on

By

Jaffrabad CAA Clash

New Delhi, Feb 25 : Police on Tuesday fired in the air after the anti-Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) protesters pelted stones on police vehicles in northeast Delhi.

The situation in the area remained tense since morning as number of shops were gutted in the fire Monday’s violence.

The firing by the police started after the anti-CAA protesters pelted stones on Vajra riot vehicles.

The police first fired tear gas shells to disperse the heavy crowd protesting near the Jaffrabad metro station.

But when they saw that the situation was going out of control they opened fire in the air.

The police had already made adequate security arrangements in the area following Monday’s violence with the paramilitary and Rapid action Force (RAF).

The police chased the protesters away from the Jaffrabad metro premises.

Around 70-80 rounds of bullets were fired by the police to disperse the heavy crowd.

On Monday, there were reports of violence and arson from the areas as Delhi Police confirmed that seven people, including a police head constable, had died in the rioting that has continued sporadically across several localities since Saturday.

Rioters used stones, sticks and country-made firearms as pro- and anti-CAA demonstrators clashed.

The number of injured persons is also piling up at the GTB hospital in northeast Delhi.

Continue Reading

Cities

Over 15 people sustain bullets wounds in pro- and anti-CAA violence

“we have received a total of 93 injured persons and there are five deaths as of now. Fresh data will be released by tonight.” Said Dr Kalra GTB

Published

on

By

CAA Violence

New Delhi, Feb 25 : Casualties were piling up at Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital amid violent clashes between pro- and anti-CAA protesters in northeast Delhi.

One of the doctors at the hospital who treated the injured told IANS that more than 15 people have sustained bullet injuries.

GTB Hospital has confirmed five deaths till Tuesday. Speaking with IANS, Dr Rajesh Kalra, Additional Medical Superintendent of the hospital said “we have received a total of 93 injured persons and there are five deaths as of now. Fresh data will be released by tonight.”

Dr Kalra also said “mostly they are blunt trauma injuries and firearm injuries. One is a petrol victim also. Most minor injuries but 2 to 3 persons were operated on Monday and few more to be operated today.”

Continue Reading

India

Yusuf Chopan grants bail in Pulwama attack conspiracy case

Published

on

By

CRPF troopers killed in suicide attack in Pulwama

New Delhi, Feb 25 : A Delhi court has granted bail to an accused in the Pulwama attack conspiracy case after the National Investigating Agency (NIA) failed to file the chargesheet within the prescribed period.

Special NIA Judge Parveen Singh, in an order pronounced on February 18, observed that accused Yusuf Chopan is entitled to statutory bail.

The bail was granted after Chopan’s counsel apprised the court that his client is in custody since the last 180 days and the time for filing chargesheet has elapsed.

The accused has been asked to furnish a personal bond of Rs 50,000 with one surety of like amount. Inter alia, he has also been directed to join the investigation as and when called.

He has been directed not to commit any similar offence, tamper with evidence, make any inducement, threat or promise to any person acquainted with the facts of the case.

Forty CRPF personnel, travelling in a convoy on the Jammu-Srinagar highway in Pulwama district, were killed on February 14 last year when a suicide bomber rammed a car loaded with explosives into a CRPF bus in Awantipora’s Goripura.

Following the attack, banned terror outfit Jaish-e-Mohammed claimed responsibility and even released a video of the purported attacker.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular