WeForNews | Latest News, Breaking News, News Updates Personal data of top celebrities including Priyanka Chopra hacked | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

Entertainment

Personal data of top celebrities including Priyanka Chopra hacked

In recent months, however, the cybercriminals have doubled down on their leverage.

Published

on

Priyanka chopra

Los Angeles, May 12 : A large media and entertainment law firm in the US representing top-notch celebrities like Priyanka Chopra, Lady Gaga, Madonna, Nicki Minaj, Bruce Springsteen and more has experienced a major data breach where hackers got access to personal data of these celebrities.

The trove of data stolen from the New York-based firm by hackers “a total of 756GB” includes contracts, nondisclosure agreements, phone numbers and email addresses, and “personal correspondence “, reports Variety.

The law firm Grubman Shire Meiselas & Sacks, or gsmlaw.com for short, experienced a ransomware attack that apparently involved the appropriately named REvil malware.

Other celebrities whose sensitive personal data has been hacked are Christina Aguilera, Mariah Carey, Jessica Simpson, Naomi Campbell, Robert De Niro, Sofia Vergara, Spike Lee, the Osbournes (Ozzy, Sharon and Kelly), and several more.

Representatives for the law firm did not issue a comment and their website gsmlaw.com was effectively offline, displaying only its logo.

In addition, top companies on the firm”s client list include Discovery, EMI Music Group, Facebook, HBO, Imax, MTV, NBA Entertainment, Playboy Enterprises, Samsung Electronics, Sony Corp. Spotify, Tribeca Film Festival, Universal Music Group and Vice Media Group, among others.

According to global cybersecurity firm Sophos, rather than simply knocking the law firm out of action temporarily, the ransomware crooks have stolen personal data from a laundry list of celebrity clients.

In such ransomware attacks, said Sophos, cybercriminals use the threat of releasing the stolen data as leverage to extort payment.

REVil, also known as Sodin or Sodinokibi, isn”t just operating on the old-school ransomware model of “scramble your files and offer to sell you back the decryption key”.

The latest trend in ransomware attacks is to use a double-barrelled weapon that gives victims two reasons to pay up.

According to Sophos, the original criminal plot behind ransomware was that if you didn”t have reliable backups that you could restore quickly, then you might have little choice but to pay up to decrypt all your scrambled files and get your business moving again.

In recent months, however, the cybercriminals have doubled down on their leverage.

Before scrambling all your files as a way of grabbing your attention, the crooks quietly upload huge troves of so-called acetrophy data” that they use to blackmail anyone who is hesitant to pay up.

In other words, the financial extortion is no longer just a “kidnap ransom” to get your files back, but also a blackmail demand to stop the crooks leaking your data – or, worse still, your customers” data – to the world.

“Indeed, the REvil crew has already followed through on its threats to embarrass victims who don”t pay,” Sophos said in a statement on Tuesday.

Given that ransomware crooks are no longer just keeping you away from your data but also threatening to put the rest of the world in touch with it, prevention is very much better than cure, said Sophos.

Less star-studded but no less worrying is a simultaneous report that global mailing equipment company Pitney Bowes has experienced an attack by the Maze ransomware.

According to Sophos, Maze is another cybercrime gang that goes in for huge ransoms and threatens to expose stolen data, infamously demanding about $6,000,000 last year from cable and wire manufacturer Southwire.

Southwire hit back by filing a so-called John Doe (the name used in the USA where defendants haven”t yet been identified) civil lawsuit against the as-yet-unknown criminals behind Maze.

–IANS

Entertainment

Kangana Ranaut talks about a ‘mistake’ Sushant Singh Rajput made

Published

on

By

kangana ranaut

Bollywood actress Kangana Ranaut on Friday opened up on what she feels is a mistake committed by late actor Sushant Singh Rajput.

Reacting to a tweet by a news portal appreciating her performance in last year’s sports drama Panga, the actress tweeted saying she needs no validation of polls and juries anymore.

In this cointext, the actress claimed that Sushant Singh Rajput made the mistake of letting others decide who he was.

“I need no validation of polls or juries anymore, when we give them power over us then only mafia gives them price tag, Sushant made this mistake he let them decide who he was, remember if you don’t know who you are the world will tell you,
I know who I am so thanks but no thanks,” Kangana tweeted.

In a separate tweet, the actress mentioned: “…when people or system fail you it becomes all the more important to be kind to yourself, most people hate themselves because others fail to love them, never make that mistake. Know your worth.”

Sushant was found dead in his Mumbai apartment on June 14 last year. His death is still being investigated.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Ekta Kapoor remembers Manav of ‘Pavitra Rishta’ on Sushant’s birth anniversary

Published

on

By

Producer Ekta Kapoor remembered late Bollywood actor Sushant Singh Rajput on his 35th birth anniversary on Thursday.

Ekta shared a video on Instagram, which is made of a collage of several scenes from her daily soap Pavitra Rishta, which had made Sushant an overnight sensation.

In the video shared by Ekta Kapoor, the words “Remembering our Manav, now and forever” appear on screen towards the end.

“Sushi forever ! Shining bright like a star! Love n light wherever u r! Happie birth on earth day!” Ekta captioned her video.

Sushant began his career as a television actor before venturing into Bollywood. Ekta had launched Sushant as an actor in the Balaji daily soap Kis Desh Mein Hai Meraa Dil. He later became popular as Manav Deshmukh in the Balaji soap, Pavitra Rishta, before venturing into Bollywood.

Pavitra Rishta also featured Sushant Singh Rajput’s ex-girlfriend, actress Ankita Lokhande, opposite him.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Sidharth Malhotra begins shoot for ‘Thank God’

Sidharth took to Twitter to share the announcement. “Excited for this new journey. #ThankGod for it. Shoot begins today,” he wrote along with photos of the team, including director Indra Kumar.

Published

on

By

Sidharth Malhotra

 Actor Sidharth Malhotra has started shooting for his upcoming film Thank God here on Thursday.

Sidharth took to Twitter to share the announcement. “Excited for this new journey. #ThankGod for it. Shoot begins today,” he wrote along with photos of the team, including director Indra Kumar.

Thank God, which also stars Ajay Devgn and Rakul Preet Singh, is pitched as a slice of life comedy with a message.

Ajay is expected to join the team later though he tweeted: “Lights. Camera. Action. The shoot for #ThankGod begins today in Mumbai!”

Rakul is also missing in the mahurat shot photo. Still, she tweeted: “#ThankGod shoot begins today !! Super thrilled to bring to all of you this slice of life comedy. Trust me we will have you in splits.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular