Pakistan-India bilateral ties have been reduced to a low level after the Pathankot terror attack and the present scenario has a chilling resemblance to post-Mumbai.
Acknowledging for the first time , Nawaz Sharif government said that that the terror attack slowed down the talks process between India and Pakistan.
India has given “specific and actionable information” to Pakistan soon after the Pathankot attack reportedly carried out by Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorists on the intervening night of January 1 and 2 that killed seven Indian soldiers.
An editorial on Pakistan-India talks in the Daily Times on Saturday said “if the latest statements of the Pakistan foreign office and the Indian foreign ministry are perused, what one finds is an all too familiar ring to these utterings”.
Pakistan “has thrown the ball back into India’s court as far as settling mutually convenient dates for the foreign secretaries talks originally scheduled for January 15 but postponed due to the Pathankot attack,” said the daily.
It observed that both sides had been careful to underline that the talks had only been postponed, not cancelled.
“Yet here we are, more than a month down the road since then, and all we are hearing from the Pakistani side as well as the Indian foreign ministry spokesman is that ‘mutually convenient’ dates are not yet in hand…”
The editorial noted that despite Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s reiterations of resolve to counter terrorism and the detention of Maulana Masood Azhar of the Jaish-e-Mohammad, accused of masterminding the Pathankot attack, “immense uncertainty looms over the (preliminary) meeting of the foreign secretaries in order to pave the way for the Bilateral Comprehensive Dialogue to follow”.
India has blamed Jaish-e-Mohammad chief Maulana Masood Azhar for orchestrating the Pathankot attack.