Connect with us

World

Pakistan Army warns US against ‘unilateral action’

Published

on

Pakistan Army
Representative image

Islamabad, Dec 29: The Pakistan Army has warned the US against “unilateral action”, saying that despite its desire for cooperation on Afghanistan, there could be no compromise on national respect and sovereignty, the media reported on Friday.

“The armed forces are working with friends and want to continue doing so, but there can be no compromise on our national honour. We do not want a conflict with our friends, but will ensure the security of Pakistan,” military spokesman Major General Asif Gha­foor said on Thursday, recalling that Islamabad was being threatened with “unilateral action” by Washington.

This is perhaps the strongest-ever reaction from Islamabad since US functionaries and statements recently began alluding to the possibility of unilateral action, amidst an ongoing row over alleged terrorist sanctuaries, reports Dawn news.

Earlier this month, CIA Director Mike Pompeo warned the US would do everything it could to ensure the elimination of “terrorist safe havens” in Pakistan.

The spokesman maintained that Pakistan would have to stand united in the face of possible unilateral action, saying such challenges could only be tackled through unity.

“Let it be known to all misadventure seekers and probably naïve thinkers that notwithstanding any temporary domestic differences, when it comes to security of our beloved Pakistan, we are all one,” he added.

Ghafoor said the “unfounded” US and Afghan narrative had lately acquired a “threatening” tone.

He also listed Pakistan’s expectations from the US: ending coercion, engagement based on trust and cooperation, repatriation of Afghan refugees from Pakistan, checking the Indian role in Afghanistan, and getting New Delhi to stop ceasefire violations along the Line of Control (LoC).

IANS

World

White House agrees to temporarily reinstate Acosta’s press pass

Published

on

White-House

Washington, Nov 17 : The US White House has said it will “temporarily reinstate” CNN reporter Jim Acosta’s press pass in response to Federal Judge Timothy Kelly’s order, while insisting that “there must be decorum at the White House.”

The judge granted CNN’s request on Friday morning for a temporary restraining order which will allow Acosta to get access to the White House again at least for now, but didn’t rule on CNN’s lawsuit against US President Donald Trump and several top White House aides over the dispute.

“In response to the court, we will temporarily reinstate the reporter’s hard pass,” said White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders in a statement, Xinhua reported.

White House “will also further develop rules and processes to ensure fair and orderly press conferences in the future,” said Sanders.

She added that the federal judge “made clear that there is no absolute First Amendment right to access the White House.”

CNN on Tuesday sued the administration over the suspension of Acosta’s press pass to the White House following his heated exchange with the president last week, claiming the decision violated the reporter’s First and Fifth Amendment rights to free speech and due process.

The judge said the White House did not provide Acosta with the due process required to legally revoke his press pass, adding that he believes CNN and Acosta are likely to prevail in the case overall, according to a CNN report.

It is thought that based on the judge’s explanation, the White House could seek to revoke Acosta’s press pass again if it provided that due process.

The Justice Department on Wednesday argued in a legal filing that the president and White House possess “broad discretion to regulate access to the White House for journalists

Continue Reading

India

India, Britain share assessment of global terror threats

Published

on

terrorism

New Delhi, Nov 16: Ahead of the 10th anniversary of the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks, India and Britain on Friday shared their assessment of terror threats across the world, including cross-border terrorism in the Afghanistan-Pakistan region during the 12th Meeting of India-UK Joint Working Group on Counter-Terrorism here.

“Both sides condemned terrorism in all its forms and manifestations,” a statement issued by the External Affairs Ministry said.

“They shared assessment on the prevailing terrorist threats globally and in their region including cross-border terrorism in the Af-Pak region,” it stated.

The meeting came ahead of the 10th anniversary of the four-day cross-border terror attack in Mumbai that started on November 26, 2008, and left over 160 people dead and over 300 injured.

The attack was carried out by the Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba.

In Friday’s meeting, both sides exchanged views on current counter-terrorism challenges, including countering radicalisation and violent extremism, combating financing of terrorism and preventing use of internet for terrorist purposes and agreed to strengthen cooperation in dealing with these challenges.

“The two sides also deliberated upon measures to deepen counter-terrorism cooperation through regular exchange of information, mutual capacity building efforts, sharing of best practices and mutual legal assistance,” the Ministry statement said.

“Cooperation in multilateral fora such as United Nations and Financial Action Task Force was also discussed,” it added.

During the meeting, the Indian side was led by Mahaveer Singhvi, Joint Secretary (Counter-Terrorism) in the External Affairs Ministry, while the British delegation was led by Jane Marriot, Director of the Joint International Counter-Terrorism Unit.

Continue Reading

World

Sri Lanka MPs hurl chilli powder and chairs in parliament over divisive no-confidence vote

Published

on

Colombo, Nov 16 :Sri Lanka’s parliament has been disrupted for a second day as lawmakers came to blows in an extraordinary commotion that lasted around half an hour. One MP threw a dustbin at Speaker Karu Jayasuriya. Legislators allied to the disputed prime minister, Mahinda Rajapaksa, hurling chairs at police officers and allegedly throwing chilli powder at opposing MPs.

It was the latest violent incident in the crisis that erupted three weeks ago, when the president, Maithripala Sirisena, suddenly announced he had sacked the prime minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and installed Rajapaksa in his place.

Brewing tensions in Sri Lanka’s Parliament over a no-confidence motion against the country’s newly appointed prime minister boiled over to an all-out brawl between lawmakers on Friday.

Mahinda Rajapaksa faced an immediate backlash in the chamber and lost a no-confidence motion against him which has served to further stoke divisions between lawmakers.

122 of the 225 legislators in the Sri Lankan chamber signed the no-confidence motion which must now be presented for ratification by the President.

“I urge all parliamentarians to uphold principles of democracy,” Sirisena said on twitter when ugly scenes broke out in the chamber. “I will not prorogue the Parliament under any circumstances,” he added.

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular