Over 10,000 Indian workers facing 'food crisis' in Saudi Arabia , Sushma extends help | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Over 10,000 Indian workers facing ‘food crisis’ in Saudi Arabia , Sushma extends help – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

India

Over 10,000 Indian workers facing ‘food crisis’ in Saudi Arabia , Sushma extends help

Published

on

In what has come as a shocking development, over 10,000 Indian workers in Saudi Arabia are facing a “food crisis”, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said on Saturday.

“The number of Indian workers facing food crisis in Saudi Arabia is over Ten Thousand,” Sushma Swaraj said in a tweet.

“It is not 800 as is being reported,” she said.

Appealing to the over three million-strong expatriate Indian population in the Gulf kingdom to “help your brothers and sisters”, she said: “There is nothing mightier than the collective will of Indian nation.”

Earlier on Saturday, she said that a large number of Indians have lost their jobs in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.

“The employers have not paid wages, closed down their factories,” she said, adding that Minister of State for External Affairs V.K. Singh would be going to Saudi Arabia to sort out the issue.

She stated this in response to a tweet from a man who said that over 800 jobless Indians have been starving for three days in Jeddah.

“We have asked the Indian Embassy in Saudi Arabia to serve you food in Jeddah,” Sushma Swaraj said.

“My colleague @Gen_VKSingh is reaching Saudi Arabia to sort out all such matters,” she stated.

She said that while the situation in Kuwait was manageable, matters were much worse in Saudi Arabia.

Minister of State for External Affairs M.J. Akbar would be taking up the issue with the Saudi and Kuwaiti authorities, she said.

“I assure you that no Indian worker rendered unemployed in Saudi Arabia will go without food,” Sushma Swaraj said in another tweet.

“I am monitoring this on hourly basis,” she added.

Following this, the man who had tweeted about the situation in Jeddah, again tweeted pictures of Indians queuing up for food.

Meanwhile, an Indian community member who has been actively involved in the food distribution work told IANS over phone from Jeddah that there are at least seven distribution camps around that Saudi city.

“We have provided food to four camps around Jeddah in the last three days and the remaining three camps will be covered in a day or two,” he said.

He said that in the last three days, Indian consulate officials and community members in Jeddah have provided 15,475 kg of foodstuffs besides cooking ingredients and 1,850 readymade food packets.

Food was distributed among about 3,000 Indian workers on Saturday, it is learnt.

These workers have been laid off by Saudi Oger, a leading Saudi construction company.

The community worker said that there has been a slowdown in the Saudi construction industry because of the fall in global crude oil prices.

“Not only Saudi Arabia, it has been happening in all Gulf countries,” he said.

While Saudi Arabia has over three million expatriate Indians, there are over 800,000 of them in Kuwait. Most of them are blue collars.

India

Credit to armed forces for Chinese army retreat behind LAC: Congress

“The Prime Minister should himself come forward and tell what is the truth though in the all-party meeting, he had said that no Indian territory has been occupied,” he said

Published

on

By

India China Ladakh Border

New Delhi, July 6 : In wake of reports that Chinese Army has retreated two km behind the Line of Actual Control (LAC), the Congress, which has been questioning the Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Chinese transgressions, on Monday credited the armed forces for the development.

“We know that the PLA can”t withstand the Indian forces, so they have retreated but the Prime Minister has to reply to tough questions,” part spokesperson Pawan Khera said at a press conference here on Monday.

The Prime Minister should himself come forward and tell what is the truth though in the all-party meeting, he had said that no Indian territory has been occupied, he said.

“We demand that Prime Minister should tell the facts to the nation,” Khera said, assuring that his party will not raise questions if Modi says that his earlier statement in the all-party meeting was not correct.

On reports that National Security Advisor Ajit Doval spoke to Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi after which Chinese forces withdrew, Khera said that this government has to decide that it needs ministers who should do their jobs.

“What is the Foreign Minister doing?” he asked.

Taking potshots at the Modi government, Khera said there is no system in the government as sometimes businessmen talk (in case of Pakistan) and sometimes foundations talk (in case of China).

“Why did the Prime Minister visit China without agenda?” asked Khera.

Indian and Chinese troops have retreated two kilometres behind the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the Galwan Valley, where 20 Indian and unknown number of Chinese soldiers were killed in a violent face-off on June 15.

Top official sources told IANS that both sides retreated two km simultaneously on Sunday, following several rounds of talks which had begun after the clash on June 15. The disengagement between Indian and the People”s Liberation Army (PLA) happened as per the agreed terms in the Corps Commander”s meeting.

Continue Reading

India

JP Nadda a poorer version of malicious BJP spokespersons: Congress

Attacking the BJP president, Surjewala raised question about deduction of Rs 11,000 crore ”dearness pay” of the armed forces.

Published

on

J P Nadda

New Delhi, July 6 : After Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) chief J.P. Nadda attacked former Congress president Rahul Gandhi for not attending the parliamentary committee on defence’s meeting, the Congress, here on Monday, launched a counter-attack and said the BJP chief had become a “poorer version” of malicious BJP spokespersons.

Hitting out Nadda, Congress chief spokesperson Randeep Singh Surjewala said, “Daily insidious comments are making you look like a poorer version of malicious BJP spokespersons.”

“Had the BJP and the Narendra Modi government spent its energy in fighting China and supporting our armed forces, you wouldn”t need to lie on the Chinese transgressions to mislead the nation,” he said.

Attacking the BJP president, Surjewala raised question about deduction of Rs 11,000 crore ”dearness pay” of the armed forces.

“Didn”t the estimates committee of Parliament, headed by former BJP chief M.M. Joshi, submit a report saying the defence expenditure was the lowest in 56 years — since 1962,” Surjewala remarked.

“Didn”t the standing committee on defence, headed by Gen B.C. Khanduri, say 68 per cent of our equipment is vintage and there are insufficient resources for construction of strategic roads on the China border,” he said.

When it sought the Prime Minister”s Office”s intervention for adequate allocation in the defence budget, the PMO chose not to act, Surjewala added.

The Congress also raised the issue of shelving of the plan to carve out 90,000-strong “Mountain Strike Corps” to counter the Chinese build-up on borders.

Surjewala said China had committed 2,264 transgressions on our territory since 2015 under the Modi government and asked why didn”t the BJP government act upon this Chinese design.

“There are reports that Chinese troops are retreating, but the Prime Minister said no one ever occupied our territory. Did he then mislead the nation,” the Congress leader said.

Continue Reading

Cities

Delhi’s remote teaching-learning initiative receives overwhelming response

Around 23,000 students watched the live lessons on YouTube. Till the writing of this report, the videos have been accessed by more than 1.35 lakh people on YouTube.

Published

on

By

Manish Sisodia

New Delhi, July 6 : Delhis Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia on Monday congratulated the teachers and parents on the successful launch of Delhi governments remote teaching-learning initiative.

On July 2, the initiative was announced in the wake of the closure of schools till July 31. The Directorate of Education has devised an alternate plan to reduce the academic loss of students in classes KG to XII of all government and aided schools of Delhi.

On the first day of the programme, students from KG to Class XIII received their first worksheet. It contains engaging and syllabus agnostic activities to promote reading, writing, basic numeracy and happiness among children.

Similarly, students in Class IX and X received worksheets for Hindi, Science and Mathematics. Henceforth, they will receive 2-3 worksheets daily.

Around 4.15 lakh students have accessed the worksheets on the first day, said the government in a statement. All the worksheets were shared with the students by the class teachers through a WhatsApp group created at the class level.

The students will now be working on the worksheets and share them with their teachers in the respective groups.

“For those students who do not have access to WhatsApp, the teachers will get the printouts of the worksheets and hand them over to their parents on a weekly basis,” the city government stated.

Sisodia said, “Our teachers have worked very hard in creating and distributing the worksheets so that the learning does not stop for the school students.”

For the Class XII students, shortlisted teachers of Delhi government schools took online classes in English and History.

The classes were streamed live on YouTube and students were asking their doubts through comments, which were solved by the teachers.

Around 23,000 students watched the live lessons on YouTube. Till the writing of this report, the videos have been accessed by more than 1.35 lakh people on YouTube.

Sisodia said that it is very important to engage creatively with the students on digital platforms and the teachers have created a very engaging content.

“This has raised the confidence of the teachers who are working hard to reach out to every child,” he said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular