New Delhi, March 9: The second leg of budget Session resumed on Thursday after a recess of 1 month.
As opposition members across party lines accused the government of inaction and failure in taking care of its diaspora, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh assured the members that the government is taking the issue very seriously and also promised that a statement would be made in Parliament in the coming week.
Beside, the rukus over Kansas Killing after opposition tried to corner government on a number of issues.
The house also took up for discussion Maternity Benefits Bill to increase maternity leave of women to 26 weeks from the present 12 weeks. The bill is already passed by Rajaya Sabha and once passed by Lok Sabha it would come as a big relief for working women, particularly in organised sector.
Congress leader Shashi Tharoor and AIADMK leader M Thambiduraion also took up the issue of killing of an Indian fisherman by Sri Lankan Navy.
- AIADMK leader M Thambiduraion also said, “It’s high time India should intervene and protect Indians, and see to it that such incidents don’t repeat.”
- Rajnath informed the house that NIA will probe Lucknow Terror Operation.
- He ensured the government will take adequate steps to ensure that Indians in USA feel secure. Government will make a detailed statement soon assures HM Rajnath Singh.
- Congress leader Mallikarjun Kharge said such incidents (on attacks on Indians in USA) have increased after the new US President has taken charge.
- He added, Prime Minister Modi tweets on every other issue, why doesn’t he talk on this issue? Why silent? He should make statement today.
- Addressing Lok Sabha, Rajnath Singh said the house empathizes with the father of Saifulla and so do I.
- Rajnath Singh in Lok Sabha: Incidents regarding Indians in the USA are taken by government very seriously. The statement on behalf of Government of India to be given in the Parliament next week.
- Opposition questioned government over hate crime against Indians in US and Lucknow Terror attack. Home Minister Rajnath Singh replies.
- Chaos in Lok Sabha was seen as Sumitra Mahajan opened Question Hour.
- Budget session began. Rajya Sabha chairman Hamid Ansari and Lok Sabha speaker Sumitra Mahajan read out obituary references.
Rajya Sabha adjourned till 11 am tomorrow.
- Home Minister said, “Want to assure the house, that the government has taken up incidents against Indians in the US very seriously and the government will give a statement on it next week.”
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrives in Lok Sabha and leaves after 5 minutes.
- Outside the parliament, PM said he hopes a breakthrough in GST is achieved and he hopes for a peaceful budget session.Read More: Watch: Modi: Hopes to see the breakthrough on GST
- Trinamool Congress leaders protested against the attack on Indians in the US in front of Mahatma Gandhi statue in the Parliament.
Earlier a ministry official had said, “Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh will make a statement on Thursday in Parliament on the killing of a suspected IS terrorist in a Lucknow gunfight and train blast in Madhya Pradesh.”
Earlier Congress had announced that it will raise a number of issues in the parliament. It has given adjournment motion notice in Lok Sabha on ‘hatred generating for Indians in USA.‘ Earlier, Congress leader Om Prakash Mishra said it will raise a number of issues including national security, enforcement of Adhar Cards and Kashmir unrest, to name a few.