No plan for women in army combat role, Parrikar tells Rajya Sabha | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs No plan for women in army combat role, Parrikar tells Rajya Sabha – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us
women in army women in army

India

No plan for women in army combat role, Parrikar tells Rajya Sabha

Published

on

New Delhi, July 26 : There are no plans to induct women for combat roles in the Indian Army, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar informed the Rajya Sabha on Tuesday.

“Presently, there is no proposal to raise a women’s combat unit in the army,” Parrikar said in his written reply.

He said there is no ‘gender discrimination’ in the army.

“There is no gender discrimination in the armed forces as the working conditions, promotion prospects, pay and allowances and service conditions of women officers are same as those of the male officers,” he said.

Last week, in a written reply in the Lok Sabha to a question of inducting women in combat roles in the armed forces, Parrikar had mentioned the induction of three women Short Service Commission Officers as fighter pilots in the Indian Air Force.

He reiterated that it was an “experimental entry scheme”, and will be valid for “five years from the date of issue of government of India letter dated December 2, 2015”.

“Further possibilities are being examined,” the minister said.

President Pranab Mukherjee, in his speech to the joint sitting of Parliament’s two houses at the beginning of the 2016 budget session, said the government will soon be allowing women in combat streams in all three armed forces.

“My government has approved the induction of women as short service commission officers and as fighter pilots in the Indian Air Force. In the future, my government will induct women in all the fighter streams of our armed forces,” President Mukherjee had said.

At present, the army has 1,514 women officers, the navy has 439, and the air force has 1,584 women officers. The number totals 3,537.

Business

RBI allows settlement files of payment systems on all days of year

Published

on

Shaktikanta Das

Mumbai: The RBI has proposed to allow settlement files of payment systems viz., AePS, IMPS, NETC, NFS, RuPay, UPI to be posted to the apex bank on all days of the year.

The measure will reduce build-up of settlement and default risks and enable better management of funds by member banks.

It will also enhance overall efficiency of the payments ecosystem.

Presently, the facility of posting settlement files of payment systems, operated by authorised payment system operators, to the Reserve Bank is available only on RTGS working days.

With round the clock availability of eKuber (core banking system of RBI) and RTGS (to be operationalised soon), it is proposed to allow settlement files of payment systems on all days of the year, the RBI said in a statement.

Instructions in this regard will be issued by the pax bank shortly.

Continue Reading

India

Malegaon Blast Case: MP Pragya Thakur Fails To Appear In NIA Court

The court has directed all the accused, including Pragya Thakur, to be present before it on December 19.

Published

on

Pragya Singh Thakur

A special NIA court here on Thursday said the trial in 2008 Malegaon blast case will resume from Friday and directed all the seven accused to remain present in the court on December 19.

Special NIA court judge P R Sitre had earlier directed all the accused in the case, including BJP MP Pragya Singh Thakur and Lieutenant Colonel Prasad Purohit, to remain present in the court on Thursday.

However, Pragya Thakur, Ramesh Upadhayay, Sudhakar Diwedi and Sudhakar Chaturvedi did not appear in the court.

Thakur had appeared before the court in June last year after it ordered the seven accused to remain present once a week. She later sought exemption from appearance on various occasions since then.

Lt Col Purohit, Sameer Kulkarni and Ajay Rahikar were present before the judge on Thursday.

The lawyers of the other four accused told the court that their clients were absent due to the Covid-19 situation.

The court then directed all the accused to be present before it on December 19.

It said the trial in the case, which is being probed by the National Investigation Agency (NIA), will resume from Friday.

Six people were killed and over 100 others injured when an explosive device strapped on a motorcycle went off near a mosque in Malegaon, a town about 200 km from Mumbai in north Maharashtra, on September 29, 2008.

The court had framed terror charges against Purohit, Thakur and five other accused in October 2018.

The trial in the case could not proceed since March this year as the normal functioning of the courts was hampered due to the Covid-19 situation.

Responding to a plea seeking day-to-day trial in the case, the probe agency had earlier told the court that it was making all efforts to expedite the case.

Continue Reading

India

Varavara Rao To Stay At Private Hospital Till December 14: Bombay High Court

The 81-year-old activist was admitted to Nanavati hospital on November 18.

Published

on

By

Varavara Rao

The Bombay High Court on Thursday said the condition of poet-activist Varavara Rao, arrested in the Elgar Parishad-Maoist links case, had improved but he will continue to remain at a private hospital till December 14.

A division bench of Justices SS Shinde and MS Karnik perused a medical report submitted by the Nanavati hospital here where Rao was admitted on November 18.

“There is some slight improvement. He shall continue to remain admitted there till December 14,” the court said.

The HC will hear the petition filed by Rao seeking bail on medical grounds and another filed by his wife Hemalata seeking that he be shifted to Nanavati hospital from jail for medical treatment on December 14.

On November 18, the High Court had noted that Rao was 81 years old, suffered from neurological ailments and also needed post-Covid-19 care after recovering from the viral infection.

A person was on death bed and in such circumstances, the state government cannot say that he should be treated in the jail, the Court had said.

Following the court’s observations, the Maharashtra government had on November 18 agreed to shift Rao from Taloja prison in Navi Mumbai to the Nanavati hospital and also to bear the expenses of his treatment.

The HC on Thursday said that the lawyers of the petitioners as well as the National Investigation Agency (NIA) — which is probing the case — shall go through the medical report, and posted the matter for further hearing on December 14.

Rao had been in and out of the state-run JJ hospital in the city and the Taloja prison hospital since his arrest in June 2018.

On July 16 this year, he tested positive for coronavirus and was shifted to the Nanavati hospital. He was discharged on July 30 and sent back to the prison.

His and his wife’s petitions claimed that he was suffering from several ailments.

Rao and a few other left-leaning activists were arrested for alleged links with Naxals following the Elgar Parishad conclave in Pune on December 31, 2017.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular

Corona Virus (COVID-19) Live Data

COVID-19 affects different people in different ways. Most infected people will develop mild to moderate illness and recover without hospitalization.