New Delhi, Aug 3 : As the controversy over a new citizen’s list that excludes 40 lakh people from Assam refuses to die down, Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Friday assured that no Indian citizen will be left out as it is only a draft list.
“There would be no discrimination or unnecessary harassment in the entire updation process of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) .The process fair and transparent. We are doing everything according to the guidelines laid down by the Supreme Court. Every step is being followed,” Singh said in a statement in the Rajya Sabha.
“I assure everyone that no Indian citizen will be left out. There is absolutely no need to worry.” He assured that there would be no coercive action against those who had been left out of the National Register of Citizens for Assam.
Responding to a Short Duration Discussion over the issue in the Rajya Sabha which saw disruptions and adjournments of the proceedings in the last few days, the Minister said that the government was committed to complete the procedure in a time bound manner.
“I am reiterating that it is not the final NRC. It is just a draft NRC. Adequate opportunity will be provided to everyone for the claims and objections. Despite it, if anybody’s name remains out of the list, he can approach the Foreigners Tribunal,” Rajnath Singh said.
He said that the draft NRC has been published in accordance with the provisions of the Assam Accord of 1985 when Rajiv Gandhi was the Prime Minister.
The decision to update it was taken by former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in 2005.
The Minister also hit out at some political parties, saying they are trying to create an atmosphere of fear among the people.
“It is unfortunate that some persons with vested interest are running a propaganda on social media so that the issue can be internationalised and communal harmony be affected,” he said.