PM Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of the New Parliament building on December 10 with a ‘bhoomi pujan’ for the project which is to be completed by 2022. The event has been attended by many leaders from various political parties, cabinet ministers, and ambassadors of various countries. Union Home Minister Amit Shah and Defence Minister Rajnath Singh also present at the event.
The new Parliament building, which will be constructed by 2022, will be spread across 64,500 sq meters. According to the government, the new building will replace the existing 93 years old Parliament house.
Here are the key features of the new parliament building you need to know:
- Tata Projects Limited will construct the new Parliament House which has been designed by HCP Design, Planning and Management Private Limited.
- The Centre said that the new Parliament House will be in sync with the sensibilities and aspirations of a new India and will be equipped with modern technologies.
- The total cost of the new Parliament building is estimated at Rs 971 crore.
- The new Parliament complex will have four floors — lower ground, upper ground, first and second floors.
- The building will have six entrances: one for the President and Prime Minister; one for the Speaker of the Lok Sabha, Chairperson of the Rajya Sabha, and MPs; a ceremonial entrance in general; another entrance for MPs; and two public entrances.
- The dimensions of the Lok Sabha in the new building will be thrice as big as the present one. The size of the Rajya Sabha will also be bigger than the current Rajya Sabha.
- Lok Sabha chamber will have 888 seats and it will cover an area of 1,145 square metre.