Connect with us

India

NDTV denies reports of takeover by SpiceJet’s Ajay Singh

Published

on

Prannoy Roy

New Delhi, Sep 22, 2017: A senior official at NDTV has denied reports that Ajay Singh, the co-founder and owner of SpiceJet was picked up a majority stake in the news channel. The company is likely to issue a formal statement by Friday evening.

Earlier today, it was learnt that Ajay Singh, the co-founder and owner of SpiceJet will takeover NDTV as he bought 40% stake in the news channel while 20% will be held by the promoters Prannoy Roy and his wife Radhika Roy.

However, a senior official later told The Hindu: “Not even a single sentence of these reports is true.”

In June, the CBI had conducted raids on the Delhi and Dehradun homes of Prannoy Roy, the founder and executive co-chairperson of NDTV. An FIR had been filed and according to it, NDTV defaulted on a loan amount of Rs. 42 crore taken from ICICI Bank through a subsidiary RRPR Holdings Pvt Ltd, as per sources.

Read More: CBI raids NDTV founder Prannoy’s houses, sparks outrage

In a statement, the news channel had termed the searches as a “witch hunt by multiple agencies” and had said that they will not succumb to these attempts to blatantly undermine democracy and free speech in India.

Ajay Singh acquired SpiceJet in 2015 and has revived the airline. He was the man responsible for naming BJP’s 2014 campaign slogan “abki baar Modi sarkar” and was part of the core advertising team.

In 1996, he was asked to serve on the Board of Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) and is known to have played a major hand in its turnaround. DTC’s fleet rose from 300 to 6,000 within two and a half years while he was at the helm.

Wefornews Bureau

India

Fresh snowfall, landslides shut Jammu-Srinagar highway

Published

on

jammu srinagar highway
ANI File Photo

Jammu, Feb 21: Fresh snowfall in the Bannihal sector and multiple landslides in the Ramsoo-Ramban sector blocked the Jammu-Srinagar highway, prompting halt of all traffic on Thursday on the strategic route.

“Over a foot of fresh snow has accumulated on the highway in Bannihal sector. There have been multiple landslides triggered by heavy rain at places in the Ramsoo-Ramban sector, as well,” a traffic department official said.

It is raining heavily along the 300-km stretch at various places both in the Kashmir Valley and the Jammu division.

“No vehicular traffic will be allowed on the highway today. Snow and landslide clearance operation will be started immediately after the weather improves,” the Traffic Department said.

The official said stranded vehicles along the highway were all parked at safe places.

The highway is regarded as the jugular vein of the landlocked valley as all essential supplies are routed to Kashmir through this road. Each time the highway gets blocked, shortages of essential supplies hit the valley.

From February 6 to 12 the highway had remained shut causing acute crisis in the valley.

IANS

Continue Reading

India

Pulwama fallout: Security of 18 separatists, 155 politicians in J&K withdrawn

Published

on

Jammu kashmir Mirwaiz Umer Farooq
The security cover of four senior separatist leaders -- Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, Shabir Shah, Professor Abdul Gani Bhat and Bilal Lone were already withdrawn on Monday. (Photo Credit- Reuters)

Jammu, Feb 21: The Jammu and Kashmir administration on Wednesday withdrew security of 18 separatists and 155 political persons in the aftermath of the Pulwama attack on February 14 in which over 40 CRPF troopers were killed.

An order issued by the Home Department late on Wednesday said security cover of separatists and some mainstream politicians was also being withdrawn/downgraded apart from those that were initially withdrawn on February 18.

As per the new order, the new list includes names from the National Conference, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Bharatiya Janata Party and the Congress.

Some of them are Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chief Yasin Malik, former IAS officer Shah Faesal and PDP leader Waheed Para.

“Over 1,000 personal security guards and 100 vehicles provided to the secured persons are being withdrawn,” officials said here.

The security cover of four senior separatist leaders — Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, Shabir Shah, Professor Abdul Gani Bhat and Bilal Lone were already withdrawn on Monday.

The decision to cut down heavily on separatist leaders’ cover was taken in the aftermath of the Pulwama attack when an explosive-packed SUV rammed into a bus of a Central Reserve Police Force convoy on the Jammu-Srinagar highway killing 40 paramilitary troopers on the spot in the worst-ever terror attack in the state since militancy struck there in 1989.

IANS

Continue Reading

India

Women, children used to ferry Pulwama explosive: Intelligence sources

Published

on

CRPF troopers killed in suicide attack in Pulwama

New Delhi, Feb 20 (IANS) Women and children helped terrorists to ferry the deadly explosive RDX grade 5 (for military use) and ammonium nitrate from transit point Tral in Pulwama district in south Kashmir in carrying out a suicide attack on a CRPF convoy on February 14, intelligence sources told IANS.

More than 40 Central Reserve Police Force troopers were killed when a local suicide bomber, Aadil Dar, rammed his SUV into a bus carrying the troopers from Jammu to Srinagar.

The sources said the trigger for the explosive was manufactured locally and that ammonium nitrate was used as an oxidizer in the RDX explosive.

The attack took place on Jammu-Srinagar highway near Latoomode in Pulwama around 3.33 p.m. on February 14, stunning the over 2,500 troopers who were part of the convoy.

The military grade RDX was procured from across the border and the device was assembled around 10 km from the blast site, the sources said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular