Connect with us

India

PM Modi’s visit to Arunachal Pradesh would aggravate border dispute: China

Published

on

PM Modi
PM Modi, Image : ANI

Beijing, Feb 9: China on Saturday opposed Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Arunachal Pradesh and said such actions would “escalate” and “complicate” border dispute.

Modi on Saturday inaugurated several developmental projects during his one-day visit to Arunachal Pradesh, which China claims as its own and dubs South Tibet.

“China’s position on the Sino-Indian border issue is consistent and clear. The Chinese government has never recognised the so-called Arunachal Pradesh and resolutely opposes the activities of Indian leaders to the eastern section of the Sino-Indian border,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying said here.

Beijing said such actions would also hurt the progress made by both sides, especially after the pathbreaking meet between Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping in Wuhan last year.

“China urges the Indian side to bear in mind the common interests of the two countries, respect the interests and concerns of the Chinese side, cherish the momentum of improvement in bilateral relations and refrain from any action that may lead to the escalation of disputes or complicate the boundary question,” she added.

Beijing resents and slams visits by Indian leaders and foreign dignitaries to Arunachal Pradesh, a state in India’s northeast at the heart of Sino-Indian border dispute.

In 2017, Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama’s visit to Arunachal Pradesh infuriated China, prompting it to rename some towns in the Indian state.

China and India, who fought a brief but bloody war in 1962, have a 3,444-km long boundary dispute.

The two sides, which have seen several skirmishes since then, almost came to blows in 2017 over building of a road by the Chinese at Doklam, an area claimed by Bhutan and close to an arterial Indian highway.

However, New Delhi and Beijing have tried to repair the damage and the ties have been on the upswing after Modi and Xi had an icebreaking meet last year.

Both the leaders pledged to keep the border quiet and peaceful.

IANS

India

Pulwama fallout: Security of 18 separatists, 155 politicians in J&K withdrawn

Published

on

Jammu kashmir Mirwaiz Umer Farooq
The security cover of four senior separatist leaders -- Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, Shabir Shah, Professor Abdul Gani Bhat and Bilal Lone were already withdrawn on Monday. (Photo Credit- Reuters)

Jammu, Feb 21: The Jammu and Kashmir administration on Wednesday withdrew security of 18 separatists and 155 political persons in the aftermath of the Pulwama attack on February 14 in which over 40 CRPF troopers were killed.

An order issued by the Home Department late on Wednesday said security cover of separatists and some mainstream politicians was also being withdrawn/downgraded apart from those that were initially withdrawn on February 18.

As per the new order, the new list includes names from the National Conference, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Bharatiya Janata Party and the Congress.

Some of them are Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chief Yasin Malik, former IAS officer Shah Faesal and PDP leader Waheed Para.

“Over 1,000 personal security guards and 100 vehicles provided to the secured persons are being withdrawn,” officials said here.

The security cover of four senior separatist leaders — Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, Shabir Shah, Professor Abdul Gani Bhat and Bilal Lone were already withdrawn on Monday.

The decision to cut down heavily on separatist leaders’ cover was taken in the aftermath of the Pulwama attack when an explosive-packed SUV rammed into a bus of a Central Reserve Police Force convoy on the Jammu-Srinagar highway killing 40 paramilitary troopers on the spot in the worst-ever terror attack in the state since militancy struck there in 1989.

IANS

Continue Reading

India

Women, children used to ferry Pulwama explosive: Intelligence sources

Published

on

CRPF troopers killed in suicide attack in Pulwama

New Delhi, Feb 20 (IANS) Women and children helped terrorists to ferry the deadly explosive RDX grade 5 (for military use) and ammonium nitrate from transit point Tral in Pulwama district in south Kashmir in carrying out a suicide attack on a CRPF convoy on February 14, intelligence sources told IANS.

More than 40 Central Reserve Police Force troopers were killed when a local suicide bomber, Aadil Dar, rammed his SUV into a bus carrying the troopers from Jammu to Srinagar.

The sources said the trigger for the explosive was manufactured locally and that ammonium nitrate was used as an oxidizer in the RDX explosive.

The attack took place on Jammu-Srinagar highway near Latoomode in Pulwama around 3.33 p.m. on February 14, stunning the over 2,500 troopers who were part of the convoy.

The military grade RDX was procured from across the border and the device was assembled around 10 km from the blast site, the sources said.

Continue Reading

India

Farmers Nashik-Mumbai Protest March begins for loan waiver, minimum support price

Published

on

Mumbai, Feb 20 : Members of All India Kisan Sabha have started their march from Nashik to Mumbai against the Modi government and the state government for not fulfilling various demands of farmers and tribals of the state.

Accusing the government of not fulfilling the promises made to them last year,the AIKS said, “A year has passed, but the government has not executed the promises it made. There is dissent among the farmers.”
“Hence, a long march will be taken out again against this betrayal by the Centre and state government,” it said.

The farmers demands include immediate drought relief, loan waiver , MSP at one and a half the full cost of production.

The farmers will reach Mumbai on February 27, the AIKS said in a statement after its meeting.
The meeting of ALL India Kisan Sabha and Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has failed,”That meeting was inconclusive. Till now, only half of the farm loan waiver disbursements have taken place. The government had announced a package of Rs 34,000 crore. Only Rs 17,000 crore has been disbursed. Where is the rest of the money? Our farmers haven’t received it. The chief minister gave us evasive answers, saying some terms and conditions will have to be changed. That will take time. Also, barely any step has been taken to control drought. Maharashtra has been hit by a severe drought. Farmers have to sell their cattle and move out of their homes for jobs. We also demand completion of infrastructure projects,”Farmer leader Ashok Dhavale, who represents the All India Kisan Sabha, said the government was brazenly repressing the leaders.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular