Connect with us

Cities

Najeeb Disappearance case: Patiala Court reserves order on conducting lie-detector test

Published

on

najeeb-ahmed-JNU

New Delhi, Nov 15: The Patiala House Court on Wednesday has reserved order on CBI plea seeking to conduct a lie-detector test of 9 suspected JNU students in the Najeeb Ahmed Disappearance case.

Last month, the court heard the agency’s plea seeking the students’ consent for undergoing the polygraph test and asked the nine to file their replies by November 10.

Earlier on Tuesday, the Delhi High Court fixed December 21 as the next date in the case, after the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) sought more time to complete its investigation.

In a status report submitted before the High court, CBI cited that the probe was underway and asked for more time to complete it. It has reportedly told the court that the autorickshaw driver, who the Delhi Police claimed to have dropped Ahmed at Jamia Millia Islamia University, has retracted his statement.

The case pertains to the disappearance of Najeeb Ahmed, a student of Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) who had gone missing from his hostel on October 16, 2016.

On October 15, 2016, Najeeb Ahmed was spotted getting into an autorickshaw on the campus after an alleged brawl between him and members of the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) at Delhi’s Mahi-Mandavi Hostel on the night of October 14.

In May, the Delhi High Court transferred the investigation into the case from the police to the CBI, after Najeeb’s mother, Fatima Nafees, approached it following the police’s failure to trace him.

The CBI registered a First Information Report (FIR) in June and started the investigation.

On June 29, it also declared a reward of Rs 10 lakh for information about the whereabouts of Najeeb. Ahmed has not been seen since, and more than a year later, the authorities are yet to find him.

Wefornews Bureau

Cities

Sudden rains bring brief respite to Kolkata

Published

on

Chandigarh-rain

Kolkata, June 20: A sudden spell of afternoon rains brought relief in boiling Kolkata and parts of south Bengal region on Wednesday but the monsoon will only progress in the next two to three days, a Met official said here.

“This was a local thunderstorm resulting from the scorching heat and the moisture present, very similar to pre-monsoon rains. This has no relation with monsoon… We feel it is likely that monsoon progress will re-start after Friday,” said A.K. Sen, a scientist of the Regional Meteorological Centre, Kolkata.

He also said Wednesday’s rainfall occurred in isolated places of Kolkata, North 24 Parganas and South 24 Parganas and also in Midnapore district.

“Overall prediction of monsoon looks promising as India will get almost 97 per cent rainfall and the eastern region may get 95 per cent in a four-month period of monsoon,” added Sen.

The temperature shot up to 40 degrees Celsius, inconveniencing those on the roads and even those who preferred to remain indoors due to the high humidity over the past few days. The heat wave has claimed at least four lives in the state.

The rain brought temporary relief and would also bring down the temperature gradually.

According to the Met department, the maximum recorded temperature has reached around 39.6 degrees Celsius which is almost 7 degrees above normal. The minimum temperature was around 29.6 degrees, 4 degrees above normal.

The relative humidity recorded in the last 24 hours was 64 per cent in the morning and 73 per cent on Tuesday evening, causing immense problems.

Heavy rains (7-11 cm) with lightning are likely at one or two places over Darjeeling, Jalpaiguri, Coochbehar, Kalimpong, Alipurduar, Malda, North and South Dinajpur districts of Sub Himalayan West Bengal on Friday, the weatherman said.

IANS

Continue Reading

Cities

Police files FIR in Charbagh Hotel fire

Published

on

Charbagh Fire

Lucknow, June 20: An FIR has been filed against the owners and workers of SSJ International and Virat Hotels, in connection with the hotel fire accident in Lucknow’s busy Charbagh area, which killed six people.

Uttar Pradesh Police has lodged the case under Sections 285,337,338 and 304 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), ANI reported.

According to police, the investigation is underway.

More than 50 people were rescued from the hotel and injured admitted to the hospital.

“Four people have died and more than 50 people were rescued from the building. Cause of fire still to be ascertained,” Lucknow Inspector General (I.G.) of Police, S Pandey told media on Tuesday.

WeForNews 

Continue Reading

Cities

Food poisoning kills 4, at least 70 hospitalised in Maharashtra

Published

on

Bhandara food
After the dinner, many people complained of stomach aches, suddenly started vomiting incessantly and were rushed to nearby private clinics and hospitals. (Representative Photo)

Raigad (Maharashtra), June 19: At least four people were killed due to suspected food-poisoning after a house-warming dinner here, news agency IANS quoted police official as saying on Tuesday.

The incident occurred at the new home of Subhash Mane, who had organised a vaastu-shanti pooja in Mahad village, followed by the celebratory dinner on Monday night, a Raigad Police spokesman said.

After the dinner, many people complained of stomach aches, suddenly started vomiting incessantly and were rushed to nearby private clinics and hospitals, the report said.

Mahad village in Khalapur is around 75 kms from Mumbai.

Of the 70 others still admitted to the hospital, the condition of at least five is described as critical, IANS quoted the spokesperson as saying.

Meanwhile, the  case has been registered as further investigations are underway.

IANS

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular