N. Korea tests super-large multiple rocket launcher | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs N. Korea tests super-large multiple rocket launcher – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

World

N. Korea tests super-large multiple rocket launcher

Published

on

NORTH KOREA-WEFORNEWS-min

Seoul, Sep 11 North Korea said Wednesday it has test-fired a super-large multiple rocket launcher similar to the one tried out by the regime in August.

In a statement, the state news agency KCNA described the rocket launcher as “super large” and said that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un was present at the launch, reported Efe news. The test-fire was done on Tuesday.

However, it did not declare the test a success, prompting analysts to speculate that the weapon did not work properly.

Images released by KCNA show Kim overseeing the launch, accompanied by his sister and top aide Kim Yo-jong, and what appears to be a system with four 600-mm launch tubes mounted on a mobile platform.

In addition, the photos reveal that North Korea was able to test three rockets even though South Korean and the US military authorities only detected the launch of two.

South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff had said on Tuesday that North Korea fired two unidentified short-range projectiles towards the Sea of Japan — known as the East Sea in the two Koreas — from Kaechon city in South Pyongan province, located some 75 km north of the capital, Pyongyang.

The total distance covered by the two projectiles was around 330 km. They reached an altitude of about 50 to 60 km.

Given this and the fact that KCNA has not highlighted the success of the test as it has done on other occasions, it is believed that North Korea did conduct the launch of a third missile but that it was unsuccessful, reported Efe news.

This is the 10th test conducted by North Korea this year after a 17-month hiatus by the Kim Jong-un regime during negotiations with the US.

.

World

Historic UK Parliament suspension ruling on Tuesday

Published

on

London, Sep 24 The UK Supreme Court will on Tuesday make a historic ruling on whether Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s decision to suspend Parliament for five weeks was lawful.

If the judgement, due at 10.30 a.m. local time, goes against Johnson, Parliament could be reconvened immediately, the BBC reported.

The Supreme Court will first determine whether prorogation is a matter for the courts – and, if so, whether the decision of Johnson to prorogue Parliament was lawful.

The government has said that it would “abide by the ruling” of the Supreme Court.

But Johnson, who is currently in New York for the 74th session of the UN General Assembly, has refused to rule out seeking to prorogue Parliament for a second time if the ruling goes against him.

Asked whether he would resign if the Supreme Court ruled against him, Johnson told the BBC: “I’m going to wait and see what the judgement is,” adding that the government “fully respects the law and fully respects the judiciary”.

Parliament is currently due to return on October 14, with the UK scheduled to leave the European Union (EU) on October 31.

The three-day hearing at the Supreme Court dealt with two appeals – one from campaigner and businesswoman Gina Miller, the second from the government.

Miller was appealing against the English High Court’s decision that the prorogation was “purely political” and not a matter for the courts, while the government was appealing against the ruling by Scotland’s Court of Session that the prorogation was “unlawful” and had been used to “stymie” Parliament.

The challenge in the Scottish Court was brought by a cross-party group of MPs and peers led by the Scottish National Party’s (SNP) Joanna Cherry.

Continue Reading

World

US-North Korea working-level n-talks in 2-3 weeks: Seoul

Published

on

Trump-Kim meeting at DMZ

Seoul, Sep 24 The US and North Korea are expected to resume working-level nuclear talks within the next two or three weeks, South Korea’s intelligence agency said on Tuesday.

If the two sides can reach an agreement at the upcoming talks, US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un could hold their third summit this year, the National Intelligence Service (NIS) said.

The NIS held a closed-door briefing to the chiefs of political parties sitting on the parliamentary intelligence committee, reports Yonhap News Agency reported.

Trump and Kim agreed to hold working-level nuclear talks during their surprise meeting at the inter-Korean border village in June. The meeting came after their second summit in Vietnam in February fell through without a deal.

Since then, progress for working-level negotiations has stalled. But as Trump signaled a push for a “new method” in dialogue with Pyongyang, Kim Myong-gil, the North’s new nuclear envoy, welcomed it last week.

During their summit in New York on Monday, South Korean President Moon Jae-in and Trump agreed to expedite the peace process on the Korean Peninsula on the basis of last year’s Singapore summit deal between Washington and Pyongyang.

At the meeting, Trump hinted of the possibility of meeting Kim by the end of the year, although he underlined that he was in no hurry.

“Kim Myong-gil will be the chief at the working-level talks and the North’s vice foreign minister Choe Son-hui will spearhead the whole negotiation process,” the NIS said on Tuesday.

The NIS added that, depending on the outcome of nuclear negotiations with the US, the North’s leader could visit South Korea in November to attend a special summit between the South and members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), Yonhap News Agency reported.

Continue Reading

World

PM Modi to meet President Trump in New York today

Published

on

Donald Trump and PM Modi at G7 summit

New York, Sep 24: Prime Minister Narendra Modi will hold a bilateral meeting with US President Donald Trump on the sidelines of the 74th session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in New York on Tuesday afternoon.

“PM Modi will meet President Trump at 12:15 p.m. (local time) tomorrow,” External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said during a press briefing in New York.

On being asked about Donald Trump’s mediation offer on the issue of Kashmir, The Foreign Ministry said that there can be no third party mediation – is known.

Foreign Ministry spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said: “You are aware of our position. We have mentioned about this in the past. But my request is, just hold on. Hold on for the meeting tomorrow. It’s not very far.”

Trump met Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan and said that he is willing to mediate to resolve Kashmir issue.

On Sunday, US President had shared the same dais with the Indian Prime Minister to address nearly 50,000 Indian-Americans and Hindu-Americans ‘Howdy, Mody!’ event in Houston.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular