Musharraf resigns as All Pakistan Muslim League chairman | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Musharraf resigns as All Pakistan Muslim League chairman – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

World

Musharraf resigns as All Pakistan Muslim League chairman

Published

on

Musharraf

Islamabad, June 22 :Former President Pervez Musharraf on Friday resigned from the chairmanship of the All Pakistan Muslim League (APML), the party’s new chairman Mohammad Amjad said.

The former military ruler sent his resignation to the Election Commission as it was no longer possible for him to run the party from abroad, said Amjad.

Earlier this week, the poll body rejected Musharraf’s nomination papers for NA-1 Chitral, after the Supreme Court withdrew its conditional approval for him to file nomination papers for the upcoming general election after he failed to appear before the court.

Amjad, previously the general secretary of the party, has been elevated to the position of chairman. He will now be directing all party affairs and deciding APML’s role in the elections, the Pakistani media reported.

According to Geo News, the party sent a formal request to the Election Commission notifying about the change in its chairmanship. Musharraf, despite his resignation, will remain the supremo of APML, the report said.

Musharraf founded APML in 2010. Despite the party announcing boycott of the 2013 election just days before the balloting, two of its candidates still contested and won two seats from Chitral.

The retired general was barred from contesting the 2013 election due to cases registered against him.

Disaster

Australians refusing COVID-19 tests could face fines: PM

“And so I thank the New South Wales and Victorian governments for doing that heavy-lifting on behalf of all other states and territories.

Published

on

By

Scott Morrison

Canberra, July 1 : Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison warned on Wednesday that people could be fined if they refuse to be tested for coronavirus.

He said that the “stick will have to be put about” in order to contain new COVID-19 outbreaks, reports Xinhua news agency.

It comes after the announcement on Tuesday that from 11.59 p.m. Wednesday night, 10 areas linked to new outbreaks in Victoria state will go into local lockdown amid a spike in cases.

These “hot zones” will be required to return to Stage 3 Stay at Home restrictions – until at least July 29.

In making the announcement, Premier of Victoria Daniel Andrews revealed that more than a thousand people, when asked, refused to be tested.

“We”re doing this in an Australian way. We”re looking to do it through incentive, through the use of carrot, not stick. But occasionally the stick will have to be put about, whether it”s fines or other sanctions that are in place to ensure that we keep everybody safe,” Morrison told TV program Today on Wednesday.

He said that the uptick in cases in Victoria, which has confirmed more cases of COVID-19 than the rest of the country combined recently, was not “surprising” because Melbourne, along with Sydney, has taken the most recently returned travellers.

“Both of those states have been running those quarantines, they”ve been paying for them themselves, and that means their risks have been greater,” he said.

“And so I thank the New South Wales and Victorian governments for doing that heavy-lifting on behalf of all other states and territories.

“We always knew there would be outbreaks. The issue is not whether they occur, but how you deal with them, and we are dealing with it in concert with the Victorian government.”

Australia has so far reported 7,920 COVID-19 cases, with 104 deaths.

Continue Reading

World

Thai cafe sues US govt for spreading COVID-19

cafe had closed and lost considerable incomes during the last three months due to lockdown measures against the pandemic in the province.

Published

on

By

Coronavirus Take precautions

Bangkok, July 1 : A cafe in Thailand”s Chiang Mai province has filed a damage lawsuit against the US government for allegedly spreading the COVID-19 pandemic, it was reported on Wednesday.

Sawet Wianthong, the owner of Ooh Cafe at DK Park food centre, filed the case in court on June 26 seeking 450,000 baht ($14,572) in damage compensation, plus a 7.5 per cent interest per annum, for which he held the US government accountable, reports Xinhua news agency.

He said his cafe had closed and lost considerable incomes during the last three months due to lockdown measures against the pandemic in the province.

Thailand has imposed anti-pandemic measures under a health emergency rule nationwide.

The country has so far reported 3,173 COVID-19 cases, with 58 deaths.

Continue Reading

Disaster

Trump again slams China over COVID-19 pandemic

Published

on

By

Donald Trump

Washington, July 1 : US President Donald Trump has once again slammed China over the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic which America is struggling to contain amid a sudden surge in the number of new confirmed cases across several states.

Taking to Twitter on Tuesday night, Trump said: “As I watch the Pandemic spread its ugly face all across the world, including the tremendous damage it has done to the USA, I become more and more angry at China. People can see it, and I can feel it.”

Trump”s tweet came amid the escalated tension between Washington and Beijing since the last few months and also on the same day when China announced retaliation against the US after it announced revokation of Hong Kong”s special status, reports Efe news.

Washington revoked Hong Kong”s special status amid the threat of the dual-use technologies falling into the hands of the Chinese Army.

Moreover, less than two weeks ago, Trump signed a legislation favour of the Uyghur rights which seeks sanctions against the Chinese officials alleged of torturing the group and other Muslim minorities in the Xinjiang province.

These measures come amid the continuous tensions between the two countries due to trade dispute and coronavirus crisis, for which Trump blamed China and even renamed the virus as “Chinese Virus,” and “Kung Flu”.

As of Wednesday morning, The US accounted for the world”s highest number of infections and fatalities with 2,629,372 and 127,322, respectively, according to the Johns Hopkins University.

Furthermore, the pandemic has created economic strain on the country and its management.

According to surveys, the pandemic has reduced Trump”s re-election possibilities.

A poll published on June 26 indicated that Trump”s approval ratings were at their worst level (40 per cent) following protests against police brutality in the US and amid a surge in coronavirus infections in the country.

A record 58 per cent of voters disapprove of the job Trump”s doing at the White House, according to a new survey conducted by the Marist Institute for Public Opinion together with the National Public Radio and PBS NewsHour.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular