Mumbai, Aug 301, 2017: Heavy rains lashed Mumbai, Thane, Palghar, Raigad and other parts of Maharashtra on Tuesday claiming the lives of two more people in Vikhroli house collapse incidents, taking toll to three.
The four days of consecutive rainfall, severely affected normal life and paralysed the lifelines — local train and bus services — in the state capital and leading the state government and civic authorities to sound a high alert.
Several millions of commuters and students were stranded all over Mumbai after getting caught in the sudden heavy downpour which started 11 a.m. onwards.
The situation was compounded with snags in mobile services and power being switched off as a precautionary measure by Reliance Energy in many parts of the suburbs.
Reliance Energy had deployed pumps to remove flood waters from sub-stations, 250 field teams and boats were on standby for emergencies and restored supplies later as water levels receded.
In a humanitarian gesture, many temples, gurudwaras, mosques, madrassas, dargahs, churches, sanatorium and rest houses were thrown open to the masses all over the city and its outskirts to feed and house the stranded.
- Operations are normal at Mumbai Airport as of now: Airport PRO
- The India Meteorological Department (IMD) forecast “heavy to very heavy rains” in entire coastal Konkan region of Maharashtra, including Mumbai, on Wednesday.
- Mumbai attempted to limp back to normalcy after Tuesday’s deluge with the suburban trains on the Western Railway resuming operations, the Central Railway mainline and Harbour Line which re-started services continued to be erratic.
- The Navy has opened community kitchens and food counters at various locations in the megapolis to provide relief to commuters stranded in torrential rainfall.
- The state government has declared a holiday for all schools and colleges in Mumbai on Wednesday and advised people to step out only if absolutely necessary.
- Mumbai-Pune Expressway still closed; no outside vehicles allowed inside city.
- Dabbawalas won’t operate today as they were not able to collect back lunch boxes which they delivered yesterday.
- All the trains between Pune and Mumbai Up/Down for today morning scheduled are been cancelled.