Mumbai cases cross 51K, Maha Covid death toll 2,286 | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Mumbai cases cross 51K, Maha Covid death toll 2,286 – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

Cities

Mumbai cases cross 51K, Maha Covid death toll 2,286

The state’s containment zones decreased from 3,169 to 3,157 on Sunday and 18,490 health teams have carried out a survey of a population of around 70.1 lakhs in the state.

Published

on

Coronavirus outbreak

Mumbai, May 31 : The Mumbai region Covid-19 cases shot above the 51,000-mark on Sunday even as the state death toll reached 2,286, with 89 fatalities – down by 27 from the highest 116 deaths recorded on May 29 – health officials said.

Sunday’s toll includes a whopping 70 deaths in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region alone – the worst-hit in the country, besides 2,487 new positive cases recorded in the state.

This comes to roughly one death every 16 minutes, and an average 104 new cases notched every hour, in the state.

Maharashtra has been recording 75-plus fatalities and new patients over 2,000 daily for the past six consecutive days, with the last highest figure of 3,041 infections on May 24.

With 89 fatalities, the state death toll has touched 2,286 while the total number of Coronavirus patients increased from Saturday’s 65,168 to 67,655 on Sunday.

The health department said of the total number of cases declared till date, 36,031 were active, an increase of 1,150 over Saturday’s 34,881.

The state has notched a recovery rate of 43.35 per cent and a mortality (death) rate of 3.37 per cent, with the patient doubling time improving to 17.5 days over last week’s 11.3 days, against the national average of 15.7 days.

Of the total 89 fatalities on Sunday, 52 were recorded in Mumbai alone, taking the city deaths up from Saturday’s 1,227 to 1,279 now, while the number of Covid-19 positive patients here shot up by 1,244 cases to touch 39,686 now.

Besides Mumbai’s 52 deaths, there were 18 fatalities in Thane (Navi Mumbai, Thane, Kalyan-Dombivali), 9 in Pune, 6 in Nashik (Malegaon), 2 Solapur, and one each in Osmanabad and Yavatmal.

The victims comprised 46 men and 43 women, and nearly 63 per cent of them suffered from other serious ailments such as diabetes, hypertension, heart problems and asthma.

On the positive side, a total of 1,248 fully cured patients returned home on Sunday, taking the number of those discharged from 28,081 to 29,329.

Maharashtra announced a gradual easing of the lockdown from June 1 under #MissionBeginAgain, with specified activities permitted in phases, Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray said in an address to the state on Sunday.

Spelling out cheers for Bollywood, film shootings of all types have been permitted with a set of guidelines, while doorstep delivery of newspapers will also start shortly.

The MMR continued to cause grave concerns with 1,548 Covid-19 deaths and positive cases shooting past the 50K mark to touch 51,397.

Though trailing a distant second after Mumbai, Pune Division fatalities touched 415, besides 9,339 patients.

The next major area of concern is Nashik Division with 163 deaths and 2,046 positive cases, followed by Aurangabad Division with 66 fatalities and 1,838 cases, and finally Akola Division with 48 deaths and 1,010 cases.

There’s Latur Division with 10 deaths and 356 cases, Kolhapur Division with 10 deaths and 866 patients, and finally Nagpur Division with 11 deaths and 744 cases.

Meanwhile, the number of people sent to home-quarantine increased from Saturday’s 551,660 to 558,100 on Sunday, and those in institutional quarantine decreased by 940 to 34,480.

In yet another relieving news, there are as many as 72,704 beds available for quarantine in the state.

The state’s containment zones decreased from 3,169 to 3,157 on Sunday and 18,490 health teams have carried out a survey of a population of around 70.1 lakhs in the state.

(Quaid Najmi can be contacted at [email protected])

Cities

Maharashtra Guv Koshyari tests negative for Covid; says ‘hale and hearty’

“Reports appearing in a section of the media regarding my health are baseless. I am hale and hearty,” said Koshyari.

Published

on

By

Bhagat Singh Koshyari

Mumbai, July 12 — Maharashtra Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari on Sunday said that the has tested negative for COVID-19 and was “perfectly alright”.

“I am perfectly alright and not in isolation now. I underwent relevant tests, the results of which came out to be negative. There are no symptoms of CCOVID-19 either,” assured Koshyari.

However, the Governor said that considering the Covid situation elsewhere, he continued to discharge all his official duties strictly adhering to protocols like social distancing, sanitizing and wearing masks.

“Reports appearing in a section of the media regarding my health are baseless. I am hale and hearty,” said Koshyari.

Earlier, an official of Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) said that a few persons in the Raj Bhavan complex have tested positive for coronavirus, and they are likely to undergo a fresh round of tests by the civic authorities soon.

Continue Reading

Cities

Ashram owner held for sexually abusing minors

Medical examination confirmed four of them had been sexually assaulted.

Published

on

By

Ashram owner Sexually Abuse

Muzaffarnagar (UP), July 12 : Children at an ashram in Shukratal, in Muzaffarnagar district, have said that the ashram owner, known as ‘Maharaj’, would force them to drink alcohol saying it was a “Coronavirus medicine”.

The owner of Godiya Math Ashram, Swami Bhakti Bhushan a.k.a Maharaj, was arrested, late on Thursday night after a complaint was filed by child helpline against him.

Ten young boys, who were allegedly sexually harassed, thrashed and forced to work as labourers, were also rescued from the ashram, three days go.

An FIR was also lodged on Thursday against the ashram owner under IPC section 377 (unnatural offences) and under various sections of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.

The children rescued from Godiya Math Ashram were aged between seven and 16 and hail from the states of Tripura, Mizoram and Assam. The children were rescued by a team of state child care helpline and police on Tuesday after a tip-off.

The children had been sent to the ashram by trusting parents with limited means, in hope of giving them a good education.

“Maharaj would make us drink ‘Corona virus medicine’. Then he would get naked and lie down, show us dirty films and do bad things to us,” a 10-year-old from Mizoram said in a statement to the Child Welfare Committee.

The boy was among 10 rescued earlier this week after a tip-off from a whistle-blower who had been evicted for objecting to the sexual abuse.

Medical examination confirmed four of them had been sexually assaulted.

Muzaffarnagar SSP Abhishek Yadav said: “The ‘Maharaj’ is a resident of Sisauli village. He set up the ashram 12 years ago. He has no prior record. Locals said he had amassed donations in his previous stint as a godman in Chandigarh, which he used to set up his ashram here. The children had been engaged in the construction of the grand two storeyed ashram building.”

The Maharaj, meanwhile, told local reporters that the allegations were fake and part of a conspiracy by locals who were angry that a large piece of land had been donated to the ashram.

He said, “We have CCTV cameras on the premises that can be scanned. The children had been living here for a long time but now locals have told them to say all this as some people are creating trouble after the ashram was donated a piece of land.”

Continue Reading

Cities

Uttar Pradesh: Three siblings, upset after mother’s death, commit suicide

Published

on

By

suicide

Lakhimpur (Uttar Pradesh), July 12 : Unable to reconcile to the demise of their mother, three siblings — two men and one woman — ended their lives in a suicide pact.

The incident happened on Saturday.

The bodies of the three were found hanging in the dining room when the police broke open the door. Their father had found the door locked when he came home and then informed the police.

One of them was a former school teacher and another an ex-employee of a private company.

The siblings had quit their jobs after their mother’s death.

According to police, a suicide note found on the bodies said the siblings were “unable to bear the loss of their mother”. The two brothers, including one who was disabled, and their sister allegedly took their own lives when their father — a retired engineer of the agriculture department — was not at home.

The father, Aditya Prakash Awasthi, 60, told police his wife had died of illness in September last year. Since then, his three children Preeti, 25, Gagan, 35 and Pawan, 30, were disturbed.

While Pawan had been employed in a private company in Lucknow, Preeti was working as a school teacher.

“They quit their jobs after my wife passed away. I apparently could not fill the void left by her death as all my children were very close to her,” said Awasthi.

SHO Kotwali police station Ajay Mishra said that neighbours told police that the siblings had stopped socializing after their mother passed away and kept to themselves. “It appears to be a case of suicide and a suicide note was also found. Bodies have been sent for autopsy,” he said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular