Connect with us

India

MeToo fire reaches corporate world, police; one more charge against Akbar

Speaking to Times Now channel, Thakur said Puri asked for an undue sexual favour to get a FIR registered against the culprits involved in the land grabbing case.

Published

on

MJ Akbar

New Delhi, Oct 12 : After ravaging the media and film industry, the #MeToo campaign on Friday hit the corporate world with Tata Motors sending one of its senior executives on leave following allegations of inappropriate behaviour with employees even as another woman journalist, this time from the US, accused M.J. Akbar of sexual misconduct when he was Editor of The Asian Age newspaper.

In another development, a woman Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) in Jammu and Kashmir on Friday came out with charges of harassment for sexual favours against one of her seniors, an Additional Director General who has retired earlier this year.

Tata Motors sent its Corporate Communications chief Suresh Rangarajan on leave. In a series of tweets, Tata Motors said the allegations against its executive were being investigated and an appropriate action would be taken after the inquiry.

“In light of the inquiry by ICC (Internal Complaints Committee), Suresh Rangarajan has been asked to proceed on leave in order to allow for an objective inquiry to be completed as swiftly as possible,” it said.

“At Tata Motors, we have always striven to ensure a respectful and safe workplace for everyone. Any allegations are investigated and appropriate action is taken immediately. This matter has already been taken up for investigation by the ICC. Any such behaviour is against the Tata code of conduct,” it said.

On Thursday, a journalist posted screenshots on her Twitter account of allegations against the Tata executive.

On Friday, yet another woman journalist came out with her MeToo story against Akbar, who is now Minister of State for External Affairs.

Majlie de Puy Kamp, currently working with the CNN, told online news portal HuffPost India that Akbar forcibly kissed her on the last day of her internship at The Asian Age office in 2007.

Akbar has already been accused of sexual assault by other women journalists when he was editor in various publications.

Also, Jammu and Kashmir DSP Shashi Thakur levelled allegations of sexual harassment at the hands of former Additional Director General of Police Alok Puri in 2015.

Thakur said on social media the she raised her voice against the land mafia in the state but she “had to face sexual harassment in the hands of the then Director Vigilance Alok Puri.

“Despite complaints against him that I filed, no one took action against him. Waiting for Justice,” Thakur said.

Speaking to Times Now channel, Thakur said Puri asked for an undue sexual favour to get a FIR registered against the culprits involved in the land grabbing case.

Puri dismissed the allegation as “nonsense”.

Meanwhile, Satadru Ojha, Editor, Calcutta Times, against whom sexual harassment allegations have been levelled by three woman journalist colleagues, “has been relieved of his current duties and relocated to a different role and city to facilitate an unbiased investigation”.

The MeToo movement in India was ignited by Bollywood actress Tanushree Dutta who levelled allegations against actor Nana Patekar, who had denied the charges. Since then, a string of women have come out with their odeal both in Bollywood and against M.J. Akbar.

India

Sabarimala issue: ‘Will you take sanitary napkins to friend’s home,’ asks Smriti Irani

Published

on

smriti-irani-wefornews-min

Mumbai, Oct 23: Union Minister Smriti Irani on Tuesday waded into the Sabarimala issue by asking if it was proper for anybody to desecrate a place of worship to justify the right to pray.

“It is plain common sense… Will you take sanitary napkins soaked in menstrual blood to a friend’s home? You will not. Do you think it is respectful to do the same when you enter the house of God?” Irani asked, speaking at an event..

Seeking to point out the difference, Irani said: “Everyone has the right to pray, but not to desecrate,” referring to a statement she had made recently after some woman threatened to enter the Sabarimala temple in Kerala with blood-soaked sanitary napkins.

Irani’s remarks came at a Young Thinkers’ Conference organized by the British Deputy High Commission and think-tank, Observer Research Foundation (ORF).

She made it clear that these were her personal views and as a cabinet minister, she would not comment on the Supreme Court’s recent verdict opening the Sabarimala Temple precincts to women of all ages.

After the Supreme Court ruling, the temple opened its doors on October 17, but shut down on Monday (Oct 22) following widespread protests and not permitting a single woman to enter the premises in the “banned” age group.

Prior to the apex court verdict, women in the menstruating age were only permitted till the base camp near the Pamba river, while men were allowed to continue the five-km long trek to the temple.

Drawing parallels, the Hindu-born Irani referred to her own marriage with a Parsi community man, (Zubin).

“I am a Hindu married to a Parsi, but I have ensured both my children practise Zorastrianism. Both have performed their Navjot ceremony. When I took by infant son to a fire temple (Agiary) in Andheri, I had to hand him to my husband. I was asked to go away from there,” she recounted.

Since then, Irani said as she is not allowed to accompany her husband and kids to any fire temple, she waits for them outside or in the car.

On the prospects of the Bharatiya Janata Party pushing the religious agenda in the 2019 elections, the minister said she “does not support populist rhetoric”.

“However, if there are schemes by implementation of which a majority of the population can benefit, it should not be targeted or sidelined or even demonized in any manner because it helps those who cannot help themselves,” Irani said.

She also discussed the achievements of the BJP government on various issues like the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana, implementing difficult measures including the GST and Insolvency Code.

IANS

Continue Reading

India

Women approach Kerala High Court seeking police protection to visit Sabarimala Temple

Published

on

Sabarimala Temple

Sabarimala, Oct 23: Four women including two lawyers on Tuesday approached the Kerala High Court seeking police protection to visit Sabarimala Temple.

They claimed that the Supreme Court had given women permission to enter the Lord Ayyappa temple.

The brief pilgrimage season in Sabarimala failed to make history as women aged between 10-50 age were kept away by protests against their entry despite the top court order of allowing women of all ages to pray at the Lord Ayyaappa temple.

The doors of the famous temple closed at 10 p.m. on Monday, a day that witnessed five women making an unsuccessful effort to pray at the hill temple.

Since the beginning, Kerala was on the edge, after the temple opened for its customary monthly pujas for the first time after the September 28 the Supreme Court verdict which overturned a centuries-old practice that prohibited women of menstrual age from entering the famous temple.

WeForNews 

Continue Reading

India

SC wants response from Centre, Assam on Hajela not favouring allowing five left-out documents for inclusion in NRC

Published

on

Supreme Court of India

New Delhi, Oct 23: The Supreme Court on Tuesday sought response from the Centre and Assam government on the report by the State NRC coordinator Prateek Hajela not favouring permitting 40 lakh-odd left out to rely on five documents including ration card to assert their claim for inclusion in National Register of Citizens.

Seeking response from Centre, Assam and other stakeholders, the bench of Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi and Justice Rohinton Fali Nariman declined, for now, the Centre’s plea for extending time for filing claims for inclusion in NRC as since September 25 when the process started, only one lakh people filed the claims.

The top court on September 19 had ordered the commencement of submission of claims and objections on inclusion of names in Assam’s National Register of Citizens (NRC) draft from September 25.

The court had ordered that the start of filing of claims and objections backed by 10 identity documents would last for 60 days from the date of commencement.

However, it kept out five identity documents that included extract of NRC of 1951; extract/certified copy of electoral rolls up to midnight of March 24, 1971; refugee registration certificate issued up to March 24, 1971; and ration cards issued by competent authority with official seal and signature up to March 24, 1971 (midnight).

The court had sought the views of Hajela on permitting their use as favoured by the Centre by in its September 17 affidavit and Assam.

Seeking response from the stakeholders on Hajela objecting to allowing the use of five identity documents for claiming inclusion in NRC, the court said, “He may be right or wrong.”

He has told the court that relying on five documents would create problems.

Hajela submitted two reports– one confidential in a sealed cover and the other in which he expressed his misgivings on permitting five identity document to rely upon for claiming inclusion in NRC.

IANS

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular