New Delhi, May 12, 2017: After Delhi High Court cleared decks for income tax assessment into National Herald case, Congress leader and lawyer Abhishek Manu Singhvi said that media is misrepresenting facts and added that we are proud to be associated with National Herald.
Addressing a press briefing, Singhvi said: “The amount of misinformation going on with regards to Young Indian Ltd and National Herald, makes me wonder does the government have anything better to do in this country than to circulate unsigned notes which are actually campaigns of misinformation and distortion”.
Singhvi said that the Young Indian Company has been given full liberty to object to the reopen of the case.
“We will now await the assessing officer’s decision in accordance with law and, in those proceedings, will be raising all the objections that we have raised today in the writ petition, that the IT department had absolutely no reason to believe in reopening the assessment,” said Singhvi.
He said all jurisdictional questions raised in the writ petition were kept alive and allowed to be raised by the party before the assessing officer.
Earlier in the day, in a huge setback for Congress president Sonia Gandhi and vice-president Rahul Gandhi, the Delhi HC declined to stay the income tax proceedings against Young India Ltd in the case.
A bench of Justices S Muralidhar and Chander Shekhar asked the company to approach the Income Tax assessing officer, after which the firm withdrew its petition.
The court then dismissed the plea as it was withdrawn. Young India had approached the high court seeking a direction to stay the IT proceedings and quashing of notices against it with regard to the National Herald misappropriation of assets case.