London, May 30: The Manchester Victoria railway station reopened on Tuesday more than a week after a suicide bomb attack at the city’s arena.
The station, attached to the Manchester Arena, was shut after the May 22 bombing at the Ariana Grande concert, which left 22 people dead, reports the BBC.
British Transport Police said its officers would be on patrol at the station on Tuesday.
Deputy Chief Constable Adrian Hanstock of British Transport Police (BTP) said his thoughts remained with those affected by the tragic attack.
“Since this event, Manchester Victoria station has remained closed and behind the scenes great effort has been made in order get Manchester moving again,” the BBC quoted Hanstock as saying.
“I am sure that today’s (Tuesday) announcement that the station will reopen will be greatly welcomed by the community of Manchester.”
Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham and Transport Secretary Chris Grayling were among those to lay wreaths at the station as it reopened.
The station reopening comes as the investigation into the attack continues.
On Monday, police released a new image showing bomber Salman Abedi on the day of the attack with a blue suitcase, reports the BBC.
Officers are appealing for people who might have seen him carrying it in the Wilmslow Road area or the city centre between May 18 and 22.
New CCTV footage has emerged that appears to show Abedi shopping at a convenience store.
A total of 16 people have been arrested in connection with the investigation. Two have been released and 14 remain in custody.
On Monday night at 10.30 p.m., exactly a week after the attack, a moment of silence was held in Manchester’s St Ann’s Square after even more tributes had been laid for the victims.