Maharashtra Covid-19 deaths zoom to 105 on Wednesday, cases cross 55K | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Maharashtra Covid-19 deaths zoom to 105 on Wednesday, cases cross 55K – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

Cities

Maharashtra Covid-19 deaths zoom to 105 on Wednesday, cases cross 55K

Meanwhile, the number of people sent to home-quarantine increased from 485,623 to 499,387 — a jump of 13,764 — and those in institutional quarantine went up from 33,545 to 35,107, a spurt of 1,562.

Published

on

Coronavirus India PTI

Mumbai, May 27 : Maharashtra on Wednesday notched a new high of 105 Covid-19 deaths, from Tuesday’s previous high of 97 fatalities, with the number of cases shooting above 55,000, health officials said here.

The figures include a whopping 64 deaths in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region alone, besides 2,190 new cases recorded across the state.

This comes to roughly one death every 14 minutes, and an average 91 new cases recorded every hour, in the state.

Maharashtra has been recording 90-plus fatalities and over 2,000 new patients for the past two days consecutively, with the last highest figure of infections being 3,041 cases on May 24.

With 105 fatalities, the state death toll has touched 1,897 and the total number of coronavirus patients increased from 54,758 to 56,948 now.

The Health Department said the state now had 37,125 active cases — swelling by 1,947 over Tuesday’s 35,178.

However, the doubling rate has improved from last week’s 11.5 days to 14.7 days now with a 31.5 percent recovery rate.

Of the total 105 fatalities today, 32 were recorded in Mumbai alone, taking the city deaths up from to 1,097 now, while the number of Covid-19 positive patients here shot up by 1,044 cases to touch 34,018.

Mumbai’s congested Dharavi slum continued to be a major red-hotspot with 18 new cases, taking the total number of infectees to 1,639 and figure of deaths climbing to 61.

Of Mumbai’s 32 deaths, besides one from Gujarat, there were 23 fatalities in Thane (Thane City, Navi Mumbai), 10 in Jalgaon, nine in Pune, eight in Raigad, six in Akola, four in Aurangabad, three each in Nashik and Solapur, two in Satara, and one each in Nagpur, Nandurbar and Palghar.

They comprised 72 men and 33 women, and nearly 63 per cent of them suffered from other serious ailments such as diabetes, hypertension, heart problems and asthma.

On the positive side, 964 fully cured patients returned home on Wednesday, taking the number of those discharged to 17,918.

Maharashtra Police recorded one more death of a policeman, taking the total toll to 21, besides the total infectees increased by 75 to touch 1,964, comprising 233 officers and 1,741 personnel.

The MMR continued to cause grave concerns with 1,290 Covid-19 deaths and positive cases shooting to 43,466.

Though trailing a distant second after Mumbai, Pune Division fatalities touched 350, besides 7,688 patients.

The next major area of concern is Nashik Division with 121 deaths and 1,765 positive cases, followed by Aurangabad Division with 58 fatalities and 1,572 cases, and finally Akola Division with 40 deaths and 857 cases.

Latur Division has eight deaths and 284 cases, Kolhapur Division seven deaths and 651 patients, and finally Nagpur Division with 10 deaths and 612 cases.

Meanwhile, the number of people sent to home-quarantine increased to 582,701 with a high jump of 15,079, and those in institutional quarantine went up to 37,761, a spurt of 2,561.

The state’s containment zones increased from 2,562 to 2,684 on Wednesday and 17,119 health teams have carried out a survey of a population of around 68 lakhs in the state.

(Quaid Najmi can be contacted at [email protected])

Cities

Scribe suffering from Covid jumps off 4th floor of AIIMS, condition critical

The doctors at AIIMS claimed that the journalist was having hallucinations for the past one week. They also claimed that he was in depression.

Published

on

By

Coronavirus News

New Delhi, July 6 : A 37-year-old journalist, who had tested positive for Covid-19 a few days ago, jumped from the fourth floor of the AIIMS trauma centre where he was receiving treatment, doctors said on Monday. His condition is stated to be critical.

The police said that the journalist has been admitted to the ICU in critical condition. The doctors said that he has received multiple fractures. The incident occurred at around 2 p.m.

“The 37-year-old man was admitted to the Covid-19 ward in the Taruma Centre on the fourth floor on June 24,” DCP (South West) Devender Arya said.

The journalist was kept in the isolation room of the Covid-19 ward on the fourth floor of the trauma centre building. The hospital staff informed that an iron grill that covered the window of the toilet was found removed. “We assume that he jumped off the window after removing its grill,” said a hospital staff.

The doctors at AIIMS claimed that the journalist was having hallucinations for the past one week. They also claimed that he was in depression.

Continue Reading

Cities

In video, Vikas Dubey discloses his political links

In the video that is now being shared on the social media, Vikas claims that former UP Assembly speaker Hari Krishna Srivastava was his political guru and had initiated him into politics

Published

on

Vikas Dubey.

An undated video interview of gangster Vikas Dubey gives an insight into his political clout.

In the video that is now being shared on the social media, Vikas claims that former UP Assembly speaker Hari Krishna Srivastava was his political guru and had initiated him into politics. Srivastava was Speaker in 1990-91 during the Mulayam Singh government.

In the video, Vikas is heard saying that he has no relations with crime and criminals and the cases against him were a result of his growing popularity which made his rivals jealous.

In another video that has been accessed by the STF which is investigating the killing of eight policemen by Vikas Dubey on Friday, Vikas is seen talking about his links with BJP MLAs Abhijeet Sanga and Bhagwati Sagar.

He said that the two leaders had helped him when he faced police action in 2017.

Abhijeet Sanga has vehemently denied having any links with the gangster. “My constituency is Bithoor in Kanpur and people from adjoining village come to me for help. In fact, several times I have recommended action in cases where Vikas Dubey was supporting the other parties,” he said.

Sanga further aid that it was typical of Dubey to align himself with political leaders belonging to the ruling parties.

Bhagwati Sagar, BJP MLA from Bilhaur, meanwhile, said that he had not pleaded in any case against Dubey. He said that this was an attempt to malign his image.

Both the MLAs said that Dubey video should be investigated.

Continue Reading

Cities

Dubey case: Borders sealed, abandoned cars queer pitch

Published

on

Vikas Dubey.

Lucknow, July 6 : Even as gangster Vikas Dubey continues to elude the state police, the Uttar Pradesh police has stepped up its efforts to nab the man who is the main accused in the killing of eight police personnel in Kanpur on Friday.

While vigil has been stepped up on the borders of the state to prevent the gangster from moving out, a series of abandoned cars-probably used as getaway vehicles by Dubey, have queered the pitch for investigators.

The Uttar Pradesh police have alerted their counterparts in adjoining states since it is believed that the gangster could be in hiding anywhere there.

Posters of Vikas Dubey have been put up in all adjoining district and along the UP-Nepal borders.

According to official sources, the Pilibhit police has sounded a high alert on the Indo-Nepal border in a bid to foil the gangster”s possible attempt to escape to Nepal through the perforated border with the district.

Pilibhit superintendent of police Jai Prakash Yadav said that besides sealing the borders, the police are carrying out intensive search of vehicles and individuals.

The Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB), too, has alerted its personnel guarding the border.

Deputy commandant, 49th Battalion, Raman Singh said, “For the identification of Dubey, we have circulated his photographs among our personnel.”

“Police are keeping a tight vigil on all suspected persons and vehicles. Police and the SSB are keeping a vigil on all activities on the border, though most of the border stretch is not conducive for travel at present due to Sharda river being in spate,” said Singh.

The state government, on Monday, suspended inspector Kunwar Pal and constables K.K. Sharma and Rajiv after the call details revealed that the three were in touch with Vikas Dubey.

The state police, meanwhile, found an abandoned dark grey Ford EcoSport car on the highway near Aurraiyya on Sunday with an ignition key in place and ownership papers in the dashboard. The police suspect that the car may have been used by the gangster to get away after committing the crime on Friday.

The police have also found three black luxury cars abandoned in Kakadeo police circle in Kanpur.

The cars, apparently new, did not have registration number plates on them. The vehicles have been seized by the police.

An investigation has revealed that the cars were purchased by a local businessman Jai Bajpai but registered under different names.

The Audi car seized was registered in the name of Pramod Vishwakarma, a Bhartiya Yuva Janata Morcha (BYJM) leader, a Fortuner was in the name of one Rahul Singh and the third vehicle was in the name of one Kapil Singh.

Bajpai has been detained and is being interrogated. He could not explain why he had purchased the vehicles in the name of others.

A photograph of the businessman with Vikas Dubey at a birthday party has gone viral on the social media. Bajpai said that after the photograph wet viral, he became apprehensive and parked the cars at a lonely spot. Bajpai, police sources said, was close to Annu Awasthi, a social media star.

Earlier, on Friday evening, a white Bolero had been found abandoned in Etawah and it was also presumed that the vehicle was used by criminals to flee.

Another Ford car was recovered near Aurraiyya-Dibiyapur bypass. Documents recovered from the car, bearing a Lucknow registration number, shows it belonged to one Amit Dubey.

Three identity cards, a wallet, ID of an elite Lucknow school and an expensive footwear were found in the car, which are now being scanned by the forensics team along with finger print experts.

The vehicle, which is 59-months-old, is without an insurance cover or pollution certificate.

“The words, ”Pravakta Hindu Organization” are scribbled on the rear mirror,” said a police official.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular