Caracas: Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has said that arrest warrants had been issued against those involved in an allegedly foiled extremist conspiratorial attack against his troops, which he accused opposition leaders and the US of spearheading.
Maduro spoke at the National Assembly on Sunday and said the operation, which he claimed was uncovered on Saturday and planned by leaders Juan Guaido and Leopoldo Lopez as well as the US, was aimed at attacking military outposts countrywide and averted by his intelligence team, reports Efe news.
“On Friday evening, judicial and prosecutorial orders were issued to capture those involved in this bloody conspiracy,” Maduro said.
“Leopoldo Lopez, a fascist, psychopathic monster, who in 20 years has been behind all coup attempts and violent acts. He carries violence in his blood. He is a mental patient of violence… And also a thief.”
The alleged conspiracy was announced by Jorge Rodriguez, Communications Minister, who reported security agencies had dismantled an extremist plan headed by Lopez, Guaido and the Colombian Government headed by Ivan Duque.
Fearing arrest, Lopez has since May sought refuge at the Spanish Ambassador’s residence in Caracas
According to Rodriguez, the operation’s participants intended to attack two military headquarters and carry out violent actions in six states.
Maduro said the alleged attacks were going to take place “in several cities in the country to cause a military and public bloodbath, as well as to shadow and shower Christmas and the festivities of the Venezuela’s people this 2019 in blood”.
He said that they managed to detect and stop the plan “thanks to civil, police and military cooperation”.
Maduro also said the Foreign Ministry received a call on December 13 from James Story, the Charge d’Affaires for the Venezuela Affairs Unit at the US Virtual Embassy, whom the President has accused of being the “conspiracy officer”.