Cities

Lucknow: Fire breaks out at King George’s Medical University trauma centre, Yogi Adityanath orders probe

lucknow fire

Lucknow, July 16: A fire broke out at a drug store in King George’s Medical University’s (KGMU) Trauma Centre in Lucknow on Saturday evening. There was no casualty. The fire was spotted around 7 pm on the second-floor drug store inside the “disaster/encephalitis ward”.

lucknow fire

According to chief medical superintendent, KGMU, Prof SN Shankhwar, the fire broke out on the second floor of the trauma center building at around 7 pm. Fire tenders from the Chowk fire station rushed to the spot and the rescue operation is underway.

Witnesses said fire alarm at the ward did not work and authorities detected the blaze only after smoke had filled second and third floors of the six-storey building.

Doctors, paramedics, attendants and security personnel had a tough time evacuating the about 200 critical patients amidst the bellowing smoke. The evacuation process continued till late in the night. Several door and window panes had to be broken in a bid to let the smoke escape and facilitate evacuation that continued till late in the night.

A critically ill woman, who left Trauma Centre for Lohia Hospital after the incident, reportedly died on the way.

As it was night time, patients had great difficulty in moving out and they had no idea where to go or whom to contact. Many patients were seen crying for help, while the ‘inadequate’ security personnel could manage to rescue only a few of them.

lucknow fire

Patients who were at the causality ward or at the diagnostic centre for X-ray, CT scan etc at the ground floor were seen coming out on stretchers with the help of their attendants. Some of them were being administered normal saline and they came out with great difficulty.

Within minutes dozens of stretchers were seen outside the centre as patients and attendants moved out in panic. Evacuation was not easy as only the main exit was opened. Later more doors were opened by breaking the locks.

Some patients were shifted to the adjacent Shatabdi Hospital and Lari Cardiology and some were referred to Balrampur hospital and Dr Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital.

Those admitted in the ICU too had to be brought out as electricity supply was hit after the fire.

According to SN Sankhwar, CMS Trauma, no person has died because of fire and all were relocated on time.

Chief minister Yogi Adityanath has ordered an inquiry into the incident. Early probe indicated there was short circuit in the store on the second floor.

As per the latest reports, all patients have been relocated. A Kumar, Principal Secy of Health while interacting with media said that an Investigation is on and Trauma Centre services will be restored in 24 hrs.

WeForNews Bureau

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top