New Delhi: The Centre has extended the nationwide lockdown for two more weeks until May 31 with significant relaxations. In an order, the Ministry of Home Affairs issued guidelines for the fourth phase of the lockdown. According to the guidelines, barbershops, salons, shopping complexes and markets can now open starting Monday. However, domestic flights, schools/colleges and hotels will continue to remain shut throughout the country.
The government has also allowed inter-state movement of passenger vehicles and buses with mutual consent of states. Barring containment zones, there are no zone-wise restrictions from the Centre and the states can decide delineation of red, green and orange zones.
Earlier today, Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu joined Punjab and Mizoram in extending the lockdown till May 31. Telangana has already extended it till May 29. Karnataka became the third southern state to extend the lockdown. However, unlike other states, Karnataka has extended it only for two more days till May 19. The government officials clarified that all orders in force from May 4 will continue.
The nationwide lockdown was first imposed for 21 days starting March 25 and then extended on April 15 and later on May 4 with an aim to stem the spread of novel coronavirus (Covid-19). As India entered the 54th day of the lockdown, the total number of coronavirus cases in India surpassed China’s tally with 90,927 infections and death toll soared to 2,872 on Sunday. China, which has a total of 84,649 cases, stopped adding new cases for the last two months now, while India has been detecting almost 4,000 cases every day for the last few days.
- Shops to ensure six feet distance among customers, not allow over 5 persons at a time in Lockdown 4.0
- More than 50 persons not allowed in marriage related gatherings, social distancing mandatory
- Paan, gutka, tobacco consumption in public place to remain banned in Lockdown 4.0
- Staggering of work, business hours at work places, offices, markets in Lockdown 4.0
- All domestic, international air travel, save medical services, to remain prohibited in Lockdown 4.0
- Sport complexes, stadias permitted to open only for sporting activities but no spectators
- No Metro services, educations institutes to stay closed in Lockdown 4.0
- Inter-state movement of vehicles allowed with consent from both states/UTs involved
- Online, distance learning to continue, be encouraged in Lockdown 4.0
- Hotels, other hospitality services to remain closed in Lockdown 4.0. Restaurants may operate for home delivery of food items
- Cinema halls, shopping malls, gymnasium, bars, theatres to stay shut in Lockdown 4.0
- Delineation of red, green and orange zones to be decided by states/UTs
- Night curfew between 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. to remain in Lockdown 4.0
- Movement of persons above 65 years and below 10 yes, persons with co-morbidities, pregnant women not allowed in Lockdown 4.0