ICC World Cup: Kiwis beat Windies in dramatic affair | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs ICC World Cup: Kiwis beat Windies in dramatic affair – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

Sports

ICC World Cup: Kiwis beat Windies in dramatic affair

Published

on

Shai Hope

Manchester, June 23 : New Zealand defeated West Indies by 5 runs in a World Cup round robin match here on Saturday.

Asked to bat first, New Zealand posted 291/8 in their 50 overs.

In reply, West Indies were all out for 286 in 49 overs.

Carlos Brathwaite was the top scorer for the West Indies with 101 runs off 82 balls.

West Indies had suffered an early setback when in-from opener Shai Hope was bowled by a Trent Boult scorcher in the third over.

But star opener Chris Gayle posted an uncharacteristically patient 87 off 84 balls while Shimron Hetmyer scored 54 off 45 as the Windies attempted a comeback.

Gayle and Hetmyer added 122 runs between them to bring the West Indies to a relatively comfortable position by the 22nd over.

But as has been the case in all their matches, the West Indies started losing wickets at regular intervals from that point.

Despite Brathwaite”s heroic century, the other West Indies batsmen came and went at the other end as the men from the Carribean islands eventually succumbed to yet another defeat.

Boult was the most successful among the Kiwi bowlers with figures of 4/30. Fellow pcer Lockie Ferguson also bowled well for his 3/59. Matt Henry, James Neesham and Colin de Grandhomme bagged a wicket each.

Earlier, West Indies pacer Sheldon Cottrell recorded his name in the history books as he removed both New Zealand openers — Martin Guptill and Colin Munro — for golden ducks in a dramatic first over.

It was only the second time both openers in any World Cup had fallen for first-ball noughts, with Sri Lanka”s Lahiru Thirimanne and Tillakaratne Dilshan collecting golden ducks against Afghanistan four years ago.

But they had fallen to two different bowlers — Dawlat Zadran and Shapoor Zadran.

After West Indies captain Jason Holder won the toss and put New Zealand to bat, left-arm quick Cottrell was on target first ball with a delivery that thudded into the pads of Guptill.

Umpire Ruchira Palliyaguruge initially said “not out” but the West Indies successfully reviewed the decision, with replays showing the ball had pitched in line and would have hit the leg stump.

Guptill, who made a World Cup record 237 not out when New Zealand beat the West Indies in a 2015 quarter-final in Wellington, had to go and the Black Caps were none for one.

Misfielding by Carlos Brathwaite allowed New Zealand captain and new batsman Kane Williamson, fresh from his match-winning century against South Africa, to get off the mark with an all-run four.

Williamson then cover-drove Cottrell for three off the fourth ball of the over to leave Colin Munro, his side”s other opener on strike.

He too fell first ball, beaten completely by another yorker that smashed into his stumps.

For the second time in the over, Cottrell, still a serving member of the Jamaica Defence Forces, greeted a wicket with his trademark military salute.

Ross Taylor hit a three off the last ball of an extraordinary first over to leave New Zealand 10-2.

Sports

My eyes fixed firmly on Women’s World Cup trophy: Mithali Raj

The right-handed bastwoman, one of India’s most successful female cricketer, has so far scored 6888 runs in 209 ODIs, 663 runs in 10 Tests and 2364 runs in 89 T20Is.

Published

on

By

Mithali Raj

New Delhi, Aug 8 : Veteran India batter Mithali Raj has said that she is “definitely looking” at the ICC Women’s World Cup, which has been postponed to 2022 and has added that her eyes are firmly fixed on the trophy.

On Friday, the International Cricket Council decided to postpone the World Cup, originally slated to be held in New Zealand in 2021, until February-March 2022 because of the impact the coronavirus pandemic.

“Whilst this is never great news to wake up to. I can understand the reasons why given the lack of cricket in some countries. I just hope those players who were planning to retire after the World Cup can hold on for one year…right Mithali Raj, Jhulan Goswami and Rachael Haynes,” cricketer-turned-commentator Lisa Sthalekar tweeted following ICC’s decision to postpone Women’s World Cup.

To this, Mithali replied: “Oh absolutely, my eyes are fixed firmly on the trophy. With all niggles recovered, mind and body fresh and stronger than before, I am definitely looking at World Cup 2022.”

Mithali had led the Indian eves to the final of the showpiece event in 2017 where they had to face a heart-wrenching defeat against England in the summit clash at the iconic Lord’s.

The right-handed bastwoman, one of India’s most successful female cricketer, has so far scored 6888 runs in 209 ODIs, 663 runs in 10 Tests and 2364 runs in 89 T20Is.

The 37-year-old has already retired from T20 cricket and now aspires to win India their maiden World Cup for which she will now have to wait at least until 2022.

Continue Reading

Sports

Madrid Masters tennis tournament cancelled: organisers

Published

on

By

Madrid Masters tennis

The Madrid Open that was scheduled to take place from Sept. 12-20 has been cancelled due to the rise of COVID-19 cases in the Spanish Capital, Organisers said on Thursday.

“As an act of responsibility in view of the current situation caused by COVID-19 and having thoroughly evaluated the circumstance that the pandemic continues to generate… it has been decided that 2020 Muta Madrid Open will not take place this year,” organisers said in a satatement.

The tounament, which was to feature both men’s and women’s draws, was seen as an important event for players to prepare for the Frech Open which begins on Sept. 27.

Continue Reading

Sports

BCCI issues SOP; players must sign consent form before resuming training

BCCI is responsible for ensuring the resumption of cricketing activity in India to help secure employment of all its workforce and also provide a source of entertainment to the fans at the earliest.

Published

on

By

bcci

New Delhi, Aug 2 : The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on Sunday issued the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) to the state associations for the resumption of cricket. While these will help the state bodies restart cricketing activities, all players will have to sign consent forms before getting back to training.

In the 100-page SOP, accessed by IANS, the BCCI has touched on principles while returning to training, ground and practice facilities preparation with an eye on the pandemic, gymnasium protocols, physiotherapy and medical protocols as well as protocols to manage a suspected COVID-19 case.

It also has the consent form where the players have to acknowledge that there is risk associated with resuming training and that the player has been informed about the protocols in place and the precautions taken by the association.

The player also needs to acknowledge that the association can’t guarantee complete elimination of risk despite taking necessary precautions and that the player is willing to resume training.

With an eye on the whole situation with regards to the coronavirus pandemic, the BCCI has shared its views with the state bodies with regards to resumption of cricket.

“The BCCI as the governing body for the sport of cricket in India is responsible for ensuring that appropriate protocols are put in place to protect the health and safety of players, staff and all stakeholders. Covid-19, an infectious disease primarily affecting the lungs, poses a serious threat to the health of individuals as is evident from its spread to almost all countries around the world with more than 17.5 million infections and over 0.6 million deaths as on 1st August 2020. As the world grapples with Covid-19, cricketing activity has come to a standstill and players confined to the four walls within their homes.

“It is said that cricket is a religion in India and the fanfare and fervor that cricket commands are far greater than any other sport or event in the country. Besides, it also helps generate tremendous revenue and employs players and staff across 38 State teams, both in the men and women category. BCCI is responsible for ensuring the resumption of cricketing activity in India to help secure employment of all its workforce and also provide a source of entertainment to the fans at the earliest.

“However, the BCCI is concerned about the high infectivity rate of SARS CoV-2 and in the interest of health and safety of all players, staff and stakeholders, the BCCI would not like to compromise on the preventive measures by resuming too soon,” the SOP read.

“The purpose of these protocols is to ensure the safe resumption of cricket activities and the below guidelines may be amended from time to time as may be required depending on the existing Covid-19 situation in the country and the guidelines issued by the Government of India at appropriate times. These guidelines have been prepared by the BCCI Medical Team.

“All BCCI affiliated State Cricket Associations will adhere to these guidelines and take additional measures as may be necessary to prevent the spread of Covid-19 infection. Approvals must also be sought from local administration and health authorities before commencing any cricket activity. The health and safety of players, staff and stakeholders will be the sole responsibility of respective State Cricket Associations.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular

Corona Virus (COVID-19) Live Data

COVID-19 affects different people in different ways. Most infected people will develop mild to moderate illness and recover without hospitalization.