Connect with us

India

LeT top leadership in Kashmir Valley wiped out

Published

on

Hajin encounter

Srinagar, Nov 19: The Army said on Sunday that the top leadership of the Pakistan-backed Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) in the Kashmir Valley has been wiped out with the killing of six militants in Jammu and Kashmir’s Bandipora district.

Lt General J.S. Sandhu, who heads the Srinagar-headquartered 15 Corps, told reporters: “With the elimination of six of its terrorist commanders yesterday (Saturday), the top leadership of LeT in the Valley has been wiped out.”

Giving details about Saturday’s operation, he said: “Hajin was an area of concern for us. Terrorists had killed some people in the area.

“We inducted Special Forces into the area. Good information started pouring in. We were keeping Chandegeer village on our radar.

“These terrorists had been staying there in a house for two to three days.”

The General identified one of the terrorists killed as Osama Jungvi or Owaid, a nephew of Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi and probably the son of Zakiur Rehman Makki.

Six Pakistani militants including Owaid and two other top commanders of LeT, Zargar and Mehmood, were killed on Saturday. An IAF commando was also killed in the gunfight.

“We look forward to continue the operations and restore peace in the Valley very soon,” the General added.

“We are working on two lines,” he added. “One is counter terrorism and the second is that we want the local terrorists to return.

“We pulled out and saved an injured militant in Kulgam and saved his life. The local terrorists must realize whether they are ‘Mujahids’ (Islamic fighters) or proxies of Pakistan.”

Jammu and Kashmir Director General of Police S.P. Vaid refuted the claims of the Islamic State that claimed that the Zakura, Srinagar, attack on Friday in which a police officer and a militant were killed was the first IS attack in Kashmir.

Asked to comment, he said: “No, it is yet to be verified. I don’t think ISIS has any presence here.”

Vaid complimented the Army, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Police and intelligence agencies for Saturday’s killings of militants.

“Hajin was witness to terror for the last year or so. Fortunately, yesterday’s operation has cleaned up the area and people will live free of terror.”

A senior CRPF officer added: “The synergy among the security forces has been excellent and this is significantly responsible for the successes we have been getting.

“A large number of boys about to join militancy have been weaned away. With the surrender of footballer Majid Khan, we are entering a field where lot of local boys are willing to come back.

“Many boys willing to come back do not know the ways and means. We have opened helpline numbers so that contact can be established with us by those who want to come back.”

IANS

Disaster

NDRF teams sent to Assam, Arunachal Pradesh after warning by China

Published

on

Yarlung zangbo

Guwahati, Oct 20 : The Centre has sent eight companies of National Disaster Rescue Force (NDRF) to Arunahal Pradesh followed by six others to Assam after intimation from the Chinese government that landslide has blocked the Milin section of the main stream of Yarlung Zangbo or Brahmaputra river recently and that it might impact the lower reaches of the river.

The Arunahal Pradesh government as well as the Assam government has instructed and alerted all the districts located near Siang and Brahmaputra river which might be affected due to the water flow of the river in near future.

It is believed that the sudden blockade caused by the landslides might burst anytime and cause flash floods in downstream areas in Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.

While the Arunachal Pradesh government has alerted the people living in periphery of Siang river not to venture out in the river for collection of firewood or for fishing.

Assam chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal on Friday said that six NDRF companies are on the way to Assam from Kolkata, which will be stationed in Sensitive districts.

Sonowal has also asked the disaster management authorities in Dhemaji, Dibrugarh, Lakhimpur and Tinsukia districts to remain alert for any probable flash flood-like situation and any kind of eventuality.

Continue Reading

Disaster

Congress chief Rahul Gandhi asks state govt, party workers to provide immediate relief

Published

on

rahul gandhi

Congress chief Rahul Gandhi asks state govt, party workers to provide immediate relief at Amritsar train accident site.

The disaster happened when a large number of people were watching the Ravan effigy in flames while standing on the railway tracks near Jora Phatak when the train crushed them.

Continue Reading

Cities

Khasi woman accuses two Catholics priests of sexually abusing her

Published

on

Rape Victim

Shillong, Oct 19 : A tribal Khasi woman in Meghalaya on Friday took to social media #MeToo campaign accusing two Catholic brothers of sexually abusing her since she was five years old.

Mary Therese Kurkalang, who said she attempted suicide thrice in the past, in her Facebook post named two Catholic brothers “Br Francis Gale of the Christian Brothers and Br Muscat of Don Bosco” for sexually abusing her since she was 5.

Kurkalang told IANS over phone that she had consulted her lawyers to understand the repercussion before she put her statement on Facebook against the two Catholic brothers.

“I don’t know yet my next steps… I have taken the first steps for now and these were not easy,” she said.

Detailing her ordeal in her Facebook post, Kurkalang said, “It’s a long journey and an ongoing one to stay whole, balanced, and sane as someone who was sexually abused through my childhood, age 5 till age 12. I have attempted suicide 3 times as a teenager and young adult, twice I landed in hospital in a serious condition.”

Alleging that Gale of the Christian Brothers congregation had “sexually abused her for eight years”, the 40-year-old woman said, “He (Gale) was a trusted friend of my family and was held in great esteem as a religious man. I was sent to him for tuitions — I was 5 when he first showed me his XXXX and asked me to touch it.”

Kurkalang said that she never got the support of her family members, one of whom instead “slapped” her when she informed them about the sexual abuse committed by Gale.

“I never spoke about it again, the abuse continued all the years till, when I turned 12 and started menstruating, I mustered the courage to refuse to meet this man (Gale) or talk to him,” she said.

In her Facebook post, Kurkalang said Muscat of Don Bosco abused his victims by giving them sweets and toffees kept in a huge desk.

“He would call children to his side of the table and ask us (children) to choose toffees from his drawers and while we did, he would slide his hands up,” she said.

Kurkalang said that she never told anyone about the sexual abuse committed by Muscat because of the larger abuse she faced from Gale.

“The #MeToo movement has triggered a lot of distress, but it also brings me hope and belief that justice will come, that we, each of us who have suffered silently will finally be heard, we might not be believed by everybody but we will be believed by many, and that matters,” she said.

“Some might ask why now? Why did I wait? I did not wait, I did act then, in the ways I knew how and the little agency I had as a child. But everywhere and every one I reached out to then, did not help. I lost hope in the very idea of justice. All I knew after my failed attempts of suicide was that I had to survive and win, to live a life that I choose as an adult, or I would have let my abusers destroy my present and my future too,” she said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular