Kin of MH370 victims demand fresh search | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Kin of MH370 victims demand fresh search – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

World

Kin of MH370 victims demand fresh search

Published

on

mh3701-wefornews

Kuala Lumpur, March 8: Relatives of the 239 passengers, who disappeared with Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 in 2014, on Friday called for a fresh search to find the aircraft on the fifth anniversary of its disappearance.

The Beijing-bound plane disappeared off the radar on March 8, 2014, about 40 minutes after take-off from Kuala Lumpur when someone had turned off the communication systems and changed the aircraft’s route, according to an official report.

The investigation concluded that the plane crashed in a remote area of the southern Indian Ocean, where 232,000 kilometres of the sea bed have since been combed unsuccessfully in search operations.

Grace Nathan, whose mother was aboard the plane, rued the lack of progress in resolving “one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history” and called for a new search for the plane, Efe news reported.

“Another search is not a waste of time or money. It’s a matter of preventing this from happening again,” she said.

“Every day people fly and there is a possibility that another plane could vanish. It’s an experience that we know and that we don’t want to happen again to other people,” added the Malaysian woman, who is a member of Voice MH370, an association representing the families of the victims.

In May 2018, Malaysia’s Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad said his government may resume the search if new evidence came to light.

So far, fragments or suspected fragments of the aircraft have been recovered from beaches in Reunion, Mozambique, Mauritius, South Africa and Pemba Island (Zanzibar).

Experts said that three wing parts found in Reunion, Mauritius and Pemba belonged to MH370 and another seven pieces – including parts of interior of the cockpit – were “almost certainly” from the missing plane, while another eight were “highly likely” to be from it.

The fragments were believed to have been swept across the Indian Ocean by currents.

Some of these pieces were displayed to the public for the first time on Sunday at an event in Kuala Lumpur in memory of the victims.

Malaysia, Australia and China, who carried out the first search at a cost of over $151 million, agreed to suspend it in January 2017 until the appearance of new solid evidence.

The US-based seabed exploration company Ocean Infinity, which conducted a second search, has offered to carry out another under the same no-find no-fee conditions.

IANS

Disaster

Iran’s Khamenei says all must help fight ‘tragic’ virus resurgence

Published

on

Ali Khamenei

Everyone must help fight the “tragic” resurgence of the novel coronavirus outbreak, Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei says.

Speaking in a video conference to parliamentarians, Khamenei stated that Iran’s “enemies” fail to achieve their “anti-Iran goals” despite strong pressure on Tehran.

Earlier, Khamenei criticized the US for using “knee on neck” policies on the whole world and also accused the US of creating COVID-19.

Continue Reading

Disaster

China raises flood response to 2nd-highest level

The water level in Taihu Lake, the country’s second-largest freshwater lake, has risen above the alert level for 15 consecutive days, said the MWR.

Published

on

By

Flood in China

Beijing, July 12 : China on Sunday raised the emergency response for flood control to Level II, the second-highest in the response system, as heavy rains continued to lash vast stretches of the country.

Since July 4, alert-triggering floods have been observed in 212 rivers nationwide, among which 19 topped previous water level records, Xinhua news agency quoted the Ministry of Water Resources (MWR) as saying.

By Sunday afternoon, floods in 27 provincial regions, including Jiangxi, Anhui, and Hubei had resulted in the deaths or disappearance of 141 people, and 2.25 million emergency relocations this year.

Around 28,000 homes were flattened and 3.53 million hectares of crops affected, with the direct economic loss at 82.23 billion yuan ($11 billion).

The water level in Taihu Lake, the country’s second-largest freshwater lake, has risen above the alert level for 15 consecutive days, said the MWR.

China’s State Flood Control and Drought Relief Headquarters also lifted the emergency response to Level II later Sunday, following its last upgrade from Level IV to Level III on July 7.

The announcement came after Poyang lake, China’s largest freshwater lake located in Jiangxi province, saw its water level at the Hukou station nearing the guaranteed level of 22.5 metres at 4 p.m. on Sunday, indicating an extraordinary emergency of flood control.

Due to severe flooding, the headquarters, the Ministry of Emergency Management, and the National Food and Strategic Reserves Administration on Sunday allocated disaster-relief supplies to Jiangxi, Hunan, and Guizhou.

Continue Reading

World

Thousands march in UK in support of Black Lives Matter

The Sussex force said the man was arrested and became aggressive towards officers before being placed on the ground.

Published

on

By

Black Live Matter Protest Brighton

London, July 12 : Some 5,000 people took to the streets of UK’s Brighton city in support of the Black Lives Matter movement, the media reported.

Large crowds of demonstrators set off from the city’s Palace Pier on Saturday afternoon, with many carrying signs that read “Decolonise everything” and “Defund the police”, the Metro newspaper reported.

Protesters shouted “black lives matter every day” and “UK is not innocent” as they walked together along the seafront and were serenaded by a string quartet as they passed the Brighton war memorial.

Congregating at The Level, thousands of demonstrators called out together: “It is our duty to do this every day. It is our duty to fight for racial justice. It is our duty to win. We are stronger together.

“We are here with love, peace and solidarity. We have nothing to lose – too many have already lost too much.”

Saturday’s march came days after footage of a young man being held down by police emerged, according to the Metro newspaper report.

He shouted “I can’t breathe” during the incident, complaining that one of the officers was putting pressure on his neck.

The Sussex force said the man was arrested and became aggressive towards officers before being placed on the ground.

The incident has been referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).

Saturday’s demonstration follows mass anti-racism protests across the world in response to the death of George Floyd, an unarmed African-American who died under police custody in Minneapolis on May 25.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular