Connect with us

India

Kazakh government orders 60 Indian workers to leave after mass brawl

Published

on

Abu Dhabi Plaza

New Delhi/Astana, Sep 9 : The Indian embassy in Kazakhstan said it is closely monitoring the situation after a mass brawl broke out at a construction site in capital Astana and the government ordered the expulsion of 60 Indian workers from the country.

“Following media reports about an incident at the Abu Dhabi Plaza construction site on the evening of September 2, we have been informed that this happened when one of the workers had trouble swiping the access card to enter the construction site, which led to an altercation.

“Unfortunately, this incident, a company administrative matter, escalated into a brawl between the workers and security staff. Since the incident, the workers and security staff have returned to normal duties.

“We have been advised by the concerned parties that about 60 workers and security staff have been subjected to disciplinary measures including repatriation. We continue to closely monitor the situation,” the Indian Embassy said in a post on its Facebook page.

According to Eurasianet.org, a massive brawl broke out in Astana late on September 2, provoking a diplomatic scandal.

It all reportedly began when Indian labourers hired to build the high-rise Abu Dhabi Plaza went on a drinking spree, seizing the opportunity of a day off work on the Islamic holiday of Eid al-Adha.

Police representative Almas Sadubayev said that the first clash occurred when a group of the Indians, who live in housing units on the building site, attempted to leave the territory but were prevented from doing so by a security guard concerned at their inebriated state. The labourers ganged up on the guard in force and physically assaulted him. Local colleagues came to the defence of the guard, giving rise to the brawl, eurasianet.org said.

It quoted the New Times website as saying that the fighting drew in as many as around 700 people, who pelted police with stones when reinforcements were called in.

The deputy head of the General Prosecutor’s Office, Andrei Lukin, said 41 people were detained, all of them Kazakhstani citizens.

Astana Mayor Aset Isekeshev, India’s Ambassador to Kazakhstan, Harsh Kumar Jain, and leading representatives from the company building the Abu Dhabi Plaza went to the scene of the unrest.

Isekeshev said later on his Facebook account that there had been negotiations and that the tensions had been defused. The mayor also urged people to refrain from idle commentaries on the situation to avoid sowing further trouble.

India

Kovind, Modi mourn Sridevi’s death

Published

on

Sridevi
Veteran Actress Sridevi passed away (File Photo)

New Delhi, Feb 25: President Ram Nath Kovind and Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday mourned the death of veteran actress Sridevi, who died in Dubai after suffering a cardiac arrest.

“Shocked to hear of passing of movie star Sridevi. She has left millions of fans heartbroken. Her performances in films such as ‘Moondram Pirai’, ‘Lamhe’ and ‘English Vinglish’ remain an inspiration for other actors. My condolences to her family and close associates,” the President tweeted.

Modi also took to Twitter, saying: “Saddened by the untimely demise of noted actor Sridevi. She was a veteran of the film industry, whose long career included diverse roles and memorable performances. My thoughts are with her family and admirers in this hour of grief. May her soul rest in peace.”

Sridevi, 54, was in Dubai to attend the marriage function of actress Sonam Kapoor’s cousin Mohit Marwah, accompanied by her husband Boney Kapoor and younger daughter Khushi Kapoor.

Sridevi has known for her performance is some of the iconic films like “Mr India”, “Nagina”, “Sadma”, “Chaalbaaz”, “Chandni” among many others. The Padma Shri recipient was last seen in “Mom” in 2017.

In 2013, she was given Padma Shri, India’s fourth highest civilian award.

IANS

Continue Reading

India

Pranab stresses on education, skills and employability

Such a situation is “unacceptable” and the youth must a celook inward” if they are keen to end this.

Published

on

pranab-mukherjee

Kolkata, Feb 24 : With India set to become home to the world’s largest working population by 2022 and a global supplier of workforce, education, skill development and enhancing employability are the most urgent needs, former President Pranab Mukherjee said on Saturday.

If India harbours the hope of reaping demographic dividends, it must make sure its people are educated and skilled enough, Mukherjee told a large assembly of young entrepreneurs at a special session organized by Young Indians, the youth wing of the Confederation of Indian Industry.

India’s potential is huge, but the failure to tap the potential in the right manner will frustrate its aspiration to become a global power, he said.

“The oldest civilisation will be younger and younger. The responsibility lies on you to remove disparity, inequality and provide leadership. Otherwise, I am afraid, demographic advantage will turn into a demographic disaster,” Mukherjee said.

He exhorted the country’s youth to work towards ending the growing wealth gap. There is an emerging divergence of haves and have-nots, he said, adding disparity exists not just on health and education parameters, but also on income distribution.

Such a situation is “unacceptable” and the youth must a celook inward” if they are keen to end this, Mukherjee said.

According to the former head of state, developmental paradigm must be shifted to equality and harmony.

“A recent report on the Indian economic situation between 2013 and 2017 states that 71 per cent of the total wealth generated in India is accumulated by 21 per cent people; while remaining 79 per cent of the population are left with 29 per cent of the wealth. This cannot go on for long. Change has to be brought about by the young people, not by me, not by anybody else,” he said.

The former President cited yet another study that brings to fore some other social disparities. As per the report, 40 of the least developed countries have only 13 per cent of the girl child getting enrolled in schools; and just 11 per cent of the men and women have access to some sort of healthcare.

Continue Reading

India

PNB says Virat Kohli continues to be its brand ambassador

Published

on

Virat Kohli PNB

New Delhi, Feb 24: The $1.8 billion fraud hit Punjab National Bank (PNB) has said that Indian skipper Virat Kohli continues to be its brand ambassador.

“There are reports in the media that Virat Kohli, Bank’s brand ambassador is going to discontinue his endorsement with Punjab National Bank. The same is again totally false and incorrect. Virat Kohli is our brand ambassador,” the bank clarified through a public notice.

The notice further clarified: “There are media reports that the bank has engaged PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) to conduct an investigation into the alleged fraud and PwC has been asked to gather evidence that can be used against Nirav Modi and his associates in the court. The news is totally incorrect.”

It also said that media reports saying Reserve Bank of India and government asking PNB to make payment of the fraudulent amount to other banks is also incorrect.

The bank reiterated that the bank has the capacity and capability to handle the situation and protect the interest of the institution, customers and stakeholders.

IANS

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular