Kanpur, Nov 21: The number of people who lost their lives in the deadliest train tragedy that took place when the Indore-Patna Express derailed near Kanpur, rose to 142 on Monday, officials said.
However, “133 bodies have been found so far, out of which 110 have been identified,” according to IG (Kanpur range) Zaki Ahmad.
More than 150 people who were travelling in the Indore-Patna Express injured in the accident which held on Sunday when at least 14 coaches of the train derailed near Pukhrayan station.Meanwhile, Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu on Sunday night visited the hospitals where the injured were being treated. He also ordered for a high-level probe into the tragedy.
However, the toll could still rise as some passengers are stated to be in critical condition.
While the cause of the derailment is yet to be ascertained, Sinha had earlier said that the accident could have been caused due to rail fracture.
The worst hit were the sleeper coaches S1, S2, S3 and S4.This accident is the worst train accident in the country after the May 2010 disaster in West Bengal involving Gyaneshwari Express in which some 170 people were killed.
However, Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu has gained lot of criticism from all around after this incident, as maximum train accidents took place in his tenure.
As the another reason behind the high casualties in Sunday’s accident is that the Indore-Patna Express had ICF coaches, which are considered prone to accidents — a feature that distinctly separate them from the modern Linke Hoffman Busch (LHB) coaches that make up premium trains such as the Rajdhanis and Shatabdis.
Prabhu had promised in the 2015-16 Budget that all trains would eventually have LHB coaches and that the ICF coaches would be phased out.
Read More: Indore Patna Express Train derails