Jammu, July 17, 2017: In the latest instance, Pakistan troops on Monday violated ceasefire along the Line of Control in Poonch’s Balakote and Rajouri’s Manjakote of Jammu and Kashmir which claims the lives of an eight-year-old girl and a soldier.
The girl, identified as Saida of Balakote in Poonch district, died when she was hit by a Pakistani shell. Whereas, the soldier, identified as Naik Muddasar Ahmed, belonging to J&K’s Tral, lost his life in Rajouri sector.
After resorting to unprovoked shelling and firing in Bhimber Gali sector of the Line of Control earlier on Monday, the Pakistani troops began heavy shelling and firing in Mendhar and Balakote sectors.
Defence Ministry spokesman Lt. Col. Manish Mehta said the firing exchanges are still ongoing.
The Indian Army was retaliating strongly and effectively, he added.
Meanwhile, the Directors General of Military Operation of India and Pakistan held talks on Monday over the repeated exchange of fire along the LoC in Jammu and Kashmir, during which the Indian side pointed out that all the ceasefire violations were being initiated by the Pakistan Army.
The Indian DGMO highlighted that “all ceasefire violations were initiated by the Pakistan Army and the Indian Army only responded appropriately,” an army statement said.
The Indian officer also put across emphatically that the “trend of infiltration along the LoC continued with the active support of Pakistan forward posts.”