Jadhav row: India has a very good case at ICJ against Pakistan, says Rohatgi | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Jadhav row: India has a very good case at ICJ against Pakistan, says Rohatgi – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

India

Jadhav row: India has a very good case at ICJ against Pakistan, says Rohatgi

Published

on

Mukul Rohatgi
File Photo

New Delhi, May 15, 2017: Attorney General of India Mukul Rohatgi on Monday indicated hope that Indian National Kulbhushan Jadhav will be freed by saying India has a very good case against Pakistan at the International Court of Justice (ICJ).

Speaking to media, Rohatgi underlined that “Pakistan had “violated all rules, both in trial and human rights.” “I cannot say how much time it will take or what will be the actual result but I think India has a very good chance.”

The Hague-based ICJ is expected to hear today the case of Kulbhushan Jadhav, the alleged Indian spy sentenced to death by a Pakistani military court.

An Indian legal team led by former Solicitor General Harish Salve is already in the Hague.

“We may have a hearing on Monday…,” Salve said after India won the stay over Jadhav’s death sentence at the ICJ last week.

India is scheduled to first argue its case. This would be followed by arguments from the Pakistan team led by Attorney General Ashtar Ausaf.

The Indian team is expected to focus on the violations of the Vienna convention by Pakistan on the issue of denying consular access to Jadhav, and on the lack of transparency in the Pakistani military court, which India said was “illegal”.

India moved the ICJ last week to save Jadhav after Pakistan denied consular access despite 16 requests.

Pakistan has said the Indian move to approach ICJ was an attempt to divert attention from “state-sponsored terrorism in Pakistan” and that it was analysing the ICJ’s authority in the matter.

Read More: ICJ to hear India’s plea for suspension of Jadhav’s death sentence today

Wefornews Bureau

India

‘Why are forces vacating our land at LAC’? Congress

The reports say that disengagement between Indian and People’s Liberation Army (PLA) troops happened as per the agreed terms in the Corps Commanders’ meeting.

Published

on

India China Ladakh Border

New Delhi, July 7 : The Congress has questioned the government on reports of withdrawal of Indian troops from Galwan valley in Ladakh.

Congress chief spokesperson Randeep Surjewala said that the country wants response on it.

Surjewala said in a tweet “Respected Prime Minister, do you remember your words and do your words mean something and will you tell that why are our forces leaving our motherland?”

The Congress leader was commenting on reports of Indian and Chinese troops have retreated two kilometres each along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the Galwan Valley, where 20 Indian and unknown number of Chinese soldiers were killed in a violent face-off last month.

The Congress questioned the Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s statement during the all-party meting held in June where the party said that the Prime Minister had claimed no one had occupied Indian territory and so it demanded Modi should apologise for that statement.

The reports say that disengagement between Indian and People’s Liberation Army (PLA) troops happened as per the agreed terms in the Corps Commanders’ meeting.

With the retreat from both sides, a four kilometre no-man zone has been created. “Four kilometres in the highly mountainous terrain like Galwan valley, deprives both sides to see each other’s installations and reinforcements,” sources said.

The two sides have also agreed, sources said, not to do any aerial surveillance of the retreated area, to rebuild trust which was badly damaged due to the June 15 clash.

Continue Reading

Business

Economic mismanagement a tragedy, will destroy millions: Rahul Gandhi

The Congress leader has been raising the issue of economic problems Indians are facing due to the lockdown amid coronavirus pandemic.

Published

on

Rahul Gandhi

New Delhi, July 7 : Reacting to a research report that Indians are worst-hit on the economic front and that 8 out of 10 rural households had lost income during the coronavirus pandemic, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday alleged that the economic mismanagement was a tragedy that was out to destroy millions.

“India”s economic mismanagement is a tragedy that is going to destroy millions of families,” he tweeted.

He said that it would no longer be accepted silently.

The Congress leader has been raising the issue of economic problems Indians are facing due to the lockdown amid coronavirus pandemic.

Rahul Gandhi was quoting research by University of Chicago and Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy, which said that 80 per cent rural and 75 per cent urban households have suffered loss in income.

Congress General Secretary KC Venugopal in a statement on Tuesday said that the country lost nearly 13 crore jobs, with many states reaching unemployment figures of 40 per cent.

Continue Reading

India

May-June status can’t be new normal at LAC: Shashi Tharoor

The Congress has been targeting the government on the Chinese incursions in the Galwan Valley for quite some time.

Published

on

By

Shashi-Tharoor

New Delhi, July 7 : Congress leader and former Union Minister Shashi Tharoor, reacting to the disengagement at the LAC, cautioned the government that the May-June status cannot become the “new normal.”

He emphasised that status quo ante should be restored at the LAC.

“Disengagement” is welcome, but means little unless the status quo ante is restored, said Tharoor.

The Thiruvananthapuram MP said that “Otherwise we”ll yet again see both sides declare peace, with China having changed the “facts” on the ground and moved the LAC closer to where it wants.”

“The May-June status cannot become the “new normal,” added Tharoor.

Taking to Twitter, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi had asked when national interest is paramount then “why has status quo ante not been insisted on?”

He also raised questions on why was China allowed to “justify” the murder of 20 unarmed Indian soldiers in our territory? Why is there no mention of the territorial sovereignty of Galwan valley?

The Congress has been targeting the government on the Chinese incursions in the Galwan Valley for quite some time.

Indian and Chinese troops on Monday retreated two kilometres each along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the Galwan Valley, where 20 Indians and an unknown number of Chinese soldiers were killed in a violent face-off last month.

The disengagement between India and the People”s Liberation Army (PLA) happened as per the agreed terms in the Corps Commander”s meeting.

With the retreat from both sides, a four kilometre no-man”s land has been created. “Four kilometres in the highly mountainous terrain like Galwan valley, deprives both sides from seeing each other”s installations and reinforcements,” sources said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular