Jadhav case: ICJ asks India to make submission by Sept 13, Pak by Dec 13 | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Jadhav case: ICJ asks India to make submission by Sept 13, Pak by Dec 13 – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

India

Jadhav case: ICJ asks India to make submission by Sept 13, Pak by Dec 13

Published

on

Kulbhushan Jadhav

New Delhi/Islamabad, Jun 16 : The International Court of Justice (ICJ) has asked India to make its submission in the Kulbhushan Jadhav case by September 13, the Ministry of External Affairs said today and debunked Pakistan’s claim that its request seeking more time in case had been rejected.

Pakistan has been asked by the court to complete its submission by December 13 this year, External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Gopal Baglay said.

Asked about Pakistan’s claim that India’s request for more time in the case has been rejected by the ICJ, Baglay said it was not true as India had sought four months and had got that with the court fixing the deadline in September.

Earlier, Pakistan’s Attorney General Ashtar Ausaf Ali was quoted by Dawn News as saying that, India had asked the ICJ to offer it time till December to file pleadings in the Jadhav case, however, “the court has dismissed their request”.

“India had adopted the stance that the matter was one of life and death, but Pakistan had stated that the ICJ is not a court of appeals. The ICJ is supposed to conclude whether or not Jadhav can receive consular access, for which a time period of two to three months is more than enough to file a response,” he said.

Baglay said the timelines had been decided in the June 8 meeting ICJ President Ronny Abraham had with agents of the two countries.

Asked if the hearing in the case would begin after the submissions of the two countries, Baglay said the court will decide if it needs more submissions and then take a call on the future course of action.

In a hearing of the case on May 18, a 10-member bench of the ICJ restrained Pakistan from executing 46-year-old Jadhav, a retired Indian Navy officer who has been awarded death sentence by a Pakistan army court for alleged “involvement in espionage and terrorist activities in Pakistan”.

India moved the ICJ against the death sentence on May 8, describing the charges against Jadhav as “concocted” and his trial as “farcical”.

India

‘Why are forces vacating our land at LAC’? Congress

The reports say that disengagement between Indian and People’s Liberation Army (PLA) troops happened as per the agreed terms in the Corps Commanders’ meeting.

Published

on

India China Ladakh Border

New Delhi, July 7 : The Congress has questioned the government on reports of withdrawal of Indian troops from Galwan valley in Ladakh.

Congress chief spokesperson Randeep Surjewala said that the country wants response on it.

Surjewala said in a tweet “Respected Prime Minister, do you remember your words and do your words mean something and will you tell that why are our forces leaving our motherland?”

The Congress leader was commenting on reports of Indian and Chinese troops have retreated two kilometres each along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the Galwan Valley, where 20 Indian and unknown number of Chinese soldiers were killed in a violent face-off last month.

The Congress questioned the Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s statement during the all-party meting held in June where the party said that the Prime Minister had claimed no one had occupied Indian territory and so it demanded Modi should apologise for that statement.

The reports say that disengagement between Indian and People’s Liberation Army (PLA) troops happened as per the agreed terms in the Corps Commanders’ meeting.

With the retreat from both sides, a four kilometre no-man zone has been created. “Four kilometres in the highly mountainous terrain like Galwan valley, deprives both sides to see each other’s installations and reinforcements,” sources said.

The two sides have also agreed, sources said, not to do any aerial surveillance of the retreated area, to rebuild trust which was badly damaged due to the June 15 clash.

Continue Reading

Business

Economic mismanagement a tragedy, will destroy millions: Rahul Gandhi

The Congress leader has been raising the issue of economic problems Indians are facing due to the lockdown amid coronavirus pandemic.

Published

on

Rahul Gandhi

New Delhi, July 7 : Reacting to a research report that Indians are worst-hit on the economic front and that 8 out of 10 rural households had lost income during the coronavirus pandemic, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday alleged that the economic mismanagement was a tragedy that was out to destroy millions.

“India”s economic mismanagement is a tragedy that is going to destroy millions of families,” he tweeted.

He said that it would no longer be accepted silently.

The Congress leader has been raising the issue of economic problems Indians are facing due to the lockdown amid coronavirus pandemic.

Rahul Gandhi was quoting research by University of Chicago and Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy, which said that 80 per cent rural and 75 per cent urban households have suffered loss in income.

Congress General Secretary KC Venugopal in a statement on Tuesday said that the country lost nearly 13 crore jobs, with many states reaching unemployment figures of 40 per cent.

Continue Reading

India

May-June status can’t be new normal at LAC: Shashi Tharoor

The Congress has been targeting the government on the Chinese incursions in the Galwan Valley for quite some time.

Published

on

By

Shashi-Tharoor

New Delhi, July 7 : Congress leader and former Union Minister Shashi Tharoor, reacting to the disengagement at the LAC, cautioned the government that the May-June status cannot become the “new normal.”

He emphasised that status quo ante should be restored at the LAC.

“Disengagement” is welcome, but means little unless the status quo ante is restored, said Tharoor.

The Thiruvananthapuram MP said that “Otherwise we”ll yet again see both sides declare peace, with China having changed the “facts” on the ground and moved the LAC closer to where it wants.”

“The May-June status cannot become the “new normal,” added Tharoor.

Taking to Twitter, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi had asked when national interest is paramount then “why has status quo ante not been insisted on?”

He also raised questions on why was China allowed to “justify” the murder of 20 unarmed Indian soldiers in our territory? Why is there no mention of the territorial sovereignty of Galwan valley?

The Congress has been targeting the government on the Chinese incursions in the Galwan Valley for quite some time.

Indian and Chinese troops on Monday retreated two kilometres each along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the Galwan Valley, where 20 Indians and an unknown number of Chinese soldiers were killed in a violent face-off last month.

The disengagement between India and the People”s Liberation Army (PLA) happened as per the agreed terms in the Corps Commander”s meeting.

With the retreat from both sides, a four kilometre no-man”s land has been created. “Four kilometres in the highly mountainous terrain like Galwan valley, deprives both sides from seeing each other”s installations and reinforcements,” sources said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular