At least 36 people killed and 60 others were injured in a triple suicide bombing and gun attack at Istanbul’s main International Ataturk Airport on Tuesday night, the media reported.
According to sources, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim on Wednesday blamed the Islamic State (IS) for the bombing attacks.
While addressing the press at the airport, the premier said the attacks were carried out by three suicide bombers and all blew themselves up, media reported.
US officials said the attack bears the hallmarks of IS because of the target and method, CNN reported.
However, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the attack should serve as a turning point in the global fight against militant groups, BBC reported.
“The bombs that exploded in Istanbul could have gone off at any airport in any city around the world,” Erdogan said.
Turkish Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag said earlier in Ankara that one terrorist opened fire with a Kalashnikov rifle and then blew himself up.
A Turkish official was quoted as saying on Twitter that the vast majority of casualties are Turkish citizens, with foreigners among the dead and wounded.
The police have closed the entrances and exits of the airport, and some inbound flights to the airport have been diverted in the aftermath of the attacks, press reports said.
Prime Minister Binali Yildirim has ordered the formation of a crisis desk.
Kerem Kinik, the head of Turkish Red Crescent, has appealed for blood donation.
The security situation in Turkey has deteriorated over the past year, with Istanbul, the national capital of Ankara and other cities having already been hit by a number of bombing attacks.