Connect with us

Africa

Islamic State announces new Boko Haram leader

Published

on

boko haram

The Islamic-State affiliated West African terror group Boko Haram has a new leader, Abu Musab al-Barnawi, the IS announced in one of its magazines.

Barnawi, who was previously spokesman for Boko Haram, replaced Abubakar Shekau, IS said in the latest issue of its weekly Nabaa magazine.

It did not say what has happened to Shekau, who was last heard from in an audio message in August 2015, saying he was alive and was still Boko Haram leader. An IS video released in April made the same claim.

The Nigerian army has frequently tried to kill Shekau, who became the Boko Haram leader in 2009.

Under his leadership, the Islamist group swore allegiance to IS and became more radical, carrying out more killings, attacks and violent acts.

These included the April 2014 abduction of over 200 schoolgirls from the town of Chibok in Borno state, northeast Nigeria, where the group is based.

Boko Haram has lost most of the territory it controlled 18 months ago and its seven-year insurgency aimed at overthrowing Nigeria’s government has left at least 20,000 people dead.

Africa

South African President Jacob Zuma resigns

Zuma, who has been in power since 2009, faces numerous allegations of corruption.

Published

on

Jacob Zuma

Johannesburg, Feb 15 : South African President Jacob Zuma on Wednesday resigned from his office with immediate effect making the announcement in a televised address to the nation.

The 75-year-old has been under increasing pressure to give way to Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa, the ANC’s new leader.

Zuma, who has been in power since 2009, faces numerous allegations of corruption.

His resignation came at the end of a long speech in which he said he disagreed with the way the ANC had acted towards him.

According to BBC, he said he did not fear a motion of no-confidence, adding: “I have served the people of South Africa to the best of my ability.”

Zuma also said that violence and division within the ANC had influenced his decision to step down.

“No life should be lost in my name and also the ANC should never be divided in my name. I have therefore come to the decision to resign as president of the republic with immediate effect,” he was quoted as saying.

“Even though I disagree with the decision of the leadership of my organisation, I have always been a disciplined member of the ANC.

“As I leave I will continue to serve the people of South Africa as well as the ANC, the organisation I have served… all of my life.”

Meanwhile, the ANC said Zuma’s resignation provided “certainty to the people of South Africa”.

Deputy Secretary General Jessie Duarte told reporters: “President Zuma remains a principled member of the ANC. The ANC wants to salute the outstanding contribution he has made.”

Continue Reading

Africa

South Africa’s graft-tainted president announces anti-corruption probe

Published

on

Jacob Zuma

JOHANNESBURG – South Africa’s president says he is appointing a commission of inquiry to look into corruption allegations that have led to calls for his ouster and weakened the ruling party.

President Jacob Zuma’s statement Tuesday night says “this matter cannot wait any longer” and that any further delay will make the public doubt the government’s revolve to fight graft.

The announcement comes amid opposition calls for Zuma’s impeachment and as the ruling African National Congress holds a high-level meeting this week, with the president’s fate a certain topic of discussion.

Rising public frustration over multiple corruption allegations against Zuma have led some in the ANC to call for him to step aside so the party can be in a stronger position to contest elections in 2019.

Continue Reading

Africa

Kenyan Supreme Court Cancels Presidential Election Due To Irregularities

Published

on

Supreme court of Kenya

Kenyan Supreme Court on Friday, September 1, nullified the result of the August 8 presidential election which was won by President Uhuru Kenyatta.

The Presiding Judge, Justice David Maraga said the electoral board committed “irregularities and illegalities” during last month’s vote, harming the integrity of the election.

The East Africa’s apex court also ordered another presidential election to be held within 60 days, with the nullification becoming the first in the history of Kenya.

“The declaration [of Kenyatta’s win] is invalid, null and void,” said Judge David Maraga, announcing the verdict of four out of the six judges.

The Judge added that the election commission “failed, neglected or refused to conduct the presidential election in a manner consistent with the dictates of the constitution”.

Reacting to the judgment, Kenyatta’s attorneys said the court’s nullification was a “very political decision” but assured that they will live with the decision.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular