Iranian Muslims to miss annual hajj pilgrimage – official

hajj pilgrimage

Iranian Muslims will miss the annual hajj pilgrimage in September, the IRNA news agency said on Thursday. Tehran and Riyadh failed to agree organizational details after they cut diplomatic ties in January, said Tehran’s Islamic Guidance and Culture Minister Ali Jannati, who blamed Riyadh for the impasse.

Last year’s hajj was marred by the deaths of over 2,000 pilgrims, 464 of them Iranian, in a crush during the crowded pilgrimage in Mecca, Saudi Arabia. Tensions led to Riyadh breaking off diplomatic ties in January after protesters in Iran attacked Saudi diplomatic missions there following the execution of a prominent Shiite cleric in the Sunni-led kingdom.

Total
0
Shares
Related Posts