Iran threatens to breach uranium enrichment limits

Donald Trump Iran Flag

Tehran, June 17 : Iran has announced that the country will breach on June 27 the limit on its stockpile of enriched uranium that was capped under a 2015 nuclear deal with world powers. In response White House has termed it as “nuclear blackmail.”

The Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) said that Tehran has increased the speed of low-grade uranium enrichment four times since it announced in May that it would stop complying with parts of the nuclear agreement, the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), after the US unilaterally withdrew from the deal.

The country had said earlier that it would quadruple its production of low-enriched uranium in retaliation for sanctions reinstated by Washington, Iranian news agency Mehr reported.

“We will cross (limit of) 300 kg (for the production of low-grade enriched uranium) by June 27,” Behrooz Kamalvandi, the spokesman for the AEOI told reporters.

The pace of enrichment will even be faster after that, he added.

Under the nuclear deal clinched between Iran and world’s six major powers in 2015, Iran accepted to stockpile low-grade enriched uranium by 300 kg.

On May 8, President Hassan Rouhani announced that Iran would stop observing restrictions on its stocks of enriched uranium and heavy water agreed under the 2015 nuclear deal.

He said the move was in retaliation for the unilateral US withdrawal from the accord a year earlier.Rouhani said that his ultimatum last month was intended to “save the (deal), not destroy it”.

Under the agreement, Iran pledged to reduce its nuclear capacities for several years and allow international inspectors inside the country to monitor its activities in return for relief from international sanctions.

Total
0
Shares
Related Posts