India's plan to douse Baghjan fire receives international endorsement | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs India’s plan to douse Baghjan fire receives international endorsement – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

India

India’s plan to douse Baghjan fire receives international endorsement

The Singapore-based emergency management firm has been trying to plug the leakage of gas and oil condensate for more than two weeks now.

Published

on

baghjan oil india gas well fire

New Delhi, June 13 : India has received international endorsement over its plans to tackle the Baghjan natural gas blowout and the subsequent fire which still rages on for the fifth consecutive day in the Baghjan oil field and its surrounding areas in Upper Assam”s Tinsukia district.

According to highly placed sources, India and the US held talks on Friday over the incident and to chalk out plans for an eventual remediation process.

The process in this case will involve dousing of the fire and capping of the natural gas well.

Overall, the meeting held under the bilateral strategic energy partnership, saw specialists from the two countries and Singapore participate.

Accordingly, the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas constituted Crisis Management Team held detailed discussions with senior officials of the US Department of Energy (DOE) and US specialists on oil and gas disaster control on Friday.

“The US side shared their experience in dealing with similar gas blowout incidents in the US,” sources said.

“The US DOE and experts have broadly endorsed the steps taken so far by the OIL and ONGC experts, and also the plans outlined in containing the fire as well as to cap the well,” they added.

The development comes after OIL prepared a ”roadmap” to douse the fire, which continues to blaze for the fifth day on Saturday. It has till now claimed two lives.

In a statement on Friday, OIL said that a “roadmap” for the well control operation by the experts” team from Singapore based M/s Alert, along with ONGC, Crisis Management Team and V.P. Mahawar, Ex-Director (Onshore) of ONGC, has been prepared to put out the inferno and plug the 17-day long leakage of gas and oil condensate in an OIL”s oil well in Tinsukia district.

It also added that a high discharge water pump was placed at the site while suitable place for stacking of materials and equipment was being mobilised from ONGC to be used for the control operation has been identified.

Engineers accompanied by experts from Singapore firm and National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) have further intensified their efforts to tame the blaze.

At least two firefighters of OIL were killed and four others, including one from ONGC, were injured near the oil well blowout site last Wednesday.

The Singapore-based emergency management firm has been trying to plug the leakage of gas and oil condensate for more than two weeks now.

India

Congress protest at Rajnath’s residence over Ministry of Defences report

The protest was led by IYC General Secretary Harish Pawar as hundreds of IYC activists raised slogans against the government.

Published

on

By

Indian Youth Congress Protest

New Delhi, Aug 7 : Indian Youth Congress (IYC) activists on Friday staged a protest outside Defence Minister Rajnath Singhs residence over the disappearance of a report from the Ministry of Defences website which admitted to intrusions by Chinese troops in Indian territory in eastern Ladakh.

The protest was led by IYC General Secretary Harish Pawar as hundreds of IYC activists raised slogans against the government.

IYC’s national media co-ordinator Rahul Rao questioned why Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the all-party meeting on June 19 had claimed that there was no intrusion by Chinese troops in Indian territory.

The IYC leader said that this demonstrates a clear attempt by the Ministry of Defence to save the Prime Minister from embarrassment and questioning on account of the MoD report.

Continue Reading

India

Investigation was quarantined, says Bihar Cop on Sushant Singh Rajput case

Published

on

Vinay Tiwari IPS

Patna/Mumbai, Aug 7: Commenting on Mumbai police probe into actor’s death, Bihar IPS officer Vinay Tiwari said that not only he but Bihar Police’s investigation into actor Sushant Singh Rajput’s death was also “quarantined and obstructed”.

Tiwari arrived in Mumbai to probe the case but was quarantined in Mumbai after his arrival and Mumbai authorities said it was done in line with COVID-19 protocols relating to inter-state travel.
IPS Officer was released and allowed to return to home.
Tiwari will now leave for Patna this evening, according to news agency ANI.

“I would say I wasn’t quarantined. The investigation was quarantined. Investigation of Bihar Police was obstructed,” Mr Tiwari, whose release had been requested by the Nitish Kumar government, told ANI.

After he arrived on Sunday, Tiwari, City Superintendent (central Patna), had been asked to stay in quarantine till August 15. City authorities insisted this was common procedure during the coronavirus outbreak and said Tiwari would have to make an application for exemption. In the meantime, they said, he could conduct his business via video conferences with the help of software like Zoom.

Bihar police chief Gupteshwar Pandey, however, claimed the officer had been “forcibly quarantined”. Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said: “Whatever happened to him is not right, It is political”.

Continue Reading

India

Rains triggers landslide in Kerala : 15 dead

Published

on

Thiruvananthapuram, Aug 7: At least 15 people have been killed after heavy rain caused a landslide in Kerala’s Idukki district early this morning, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan said Friday evening, While announcing Rs 5 lakh as compensation for the families of those killed, the chief Minister said that the cost of treatment will be borne by the state.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted Friday afternoon to say he was “pained by the loss of lives” and to announce compensation, from the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund, of Rs 2 lakh each to family members of those who had died and ₹ 50,000 to those who were injured.

Fifteen others have been rescued so far and are undergoing treatment at the Tata General Hospital in Munnar. An NDRF (National Disaster Response Force) team is engaged in rescue operations.

Officials say the landslide happened in the Rajamalai area of the district, which is around 25 km from the tourist town of Munnar. Around 80 people lived in the area, officials said, adding that they do not know, at this point, how many more are trapped under the mud.

A connecting bridge was swept away making access to the area difficult.

A 50-member strong special task force of the state fire service – who have been equipped for night-time work – are among the emergency services personnel sent, Chief Minister Pinaryai Vijayan has said.

Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan tweeted that a second team, based in Thrissur, was also en route and police, fire service personnel and forest and revenue officials had been instructed to join rescue efforts.

A 50 member strong special task force team of the Fire Force has been dispatched to Rajamalai in Idukki for rescue efforts. They have been equipped for nighttime rescue activities. #KeralaRainspic.twitter.com/olo1eraMNV

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular

Corona Virus (COVID-19) Live Data

COVID-19 affects different people in different ways. Most infected people will develop mild to moderate illness and recover without hospitalization.