India calls for changing Pakistan's 'mindset' that unleashes terror on India, Afghanistan | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs India calls for changing Pakistan’s ‘mindset’ that unleashes terror on India, Afghanistan – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

World

India calls for changing Pakistan’s ‘mindset’ that unleashes terror on India, Afghanistan

Published

on

Syed akbaruddin
Syed akbaruddin India's Permanent Representative to UN

United Nations, Jan 20: Pakistan’s “mindset” that unleashes terrorist attacks on India and Afghanistan must change, India has told the Security Council.

Only by changing the terror mindset can peace come to Afghanistan, India’s Permanent Representative Syed Akbaruddin said on Friday during a high-level Council meeting dealing with Afghanistan.

“Terrorism and externally induced instability pose the gravest threat to Afghanistan’s peace, stability and prosperity,” he said. “And the growing arc of terrorist violence endangers our entire region.”

New Delhi has been working with regional and international partners to bring security, peace and development to Afghanistan, he said.

To further these objectives and promote peace, Prime Minister Narendra Modi stopped over in Lahore in December 2015 on his way back from inaugurating the Indian-built parliament house in Afghanistan, he said.

But “a heinous and barbaric terrorist attack” was launched on the Pathankot airbase in a week’s time by “the very same mindsets which attack the spirit of Afghanistan every day,” he said.

“These mindsets differentiate between ‘good’ and bad terrorists,” he said. “These mindsets refuse to see reason in peace. They are mindsets that are reluctant to join hands in moving the region forward to build a shared future for our people and our youth.”

“These mindsets,” Akbaruddin declared, “need to change.”

The high-level Council meeting was presided over by Kazakhstan’s Foreign Minister Kairat Abdrakhmanov and focused on regional cooperation to promote development and security in Afghanistan. Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov was among those attending the session.

Terrorism has taken a huge toll on Afghanistan, Akbaruddin said backing up his assertion with World Bank statistics.

Afghanistan recorded a 9.6 per cent annual economic growth rate from 2003 to 2014, but it has fallen to 2.2 per cent in 2016 as terrorism increased and it was 2.6 per cent last year, according to the bank.

Illustrating how terrorism impacts development, he said that a disproportionate amount of resources are diverted from the aid projects to protecting them rather than building more projects.

The New Development Partnership between India and Afghanistan cover education, health, agriculture, infrastructure, renewable energy, drinking water supply and human resource development, he said.

The recent visits by Afghanistan’s President Ashraf Ghani and Chief Executive Dr. Abdullah Abdullah have given the partnership a boost, he added.

India pledged a $1 billion package for Afghanistan last year.

IANS

Tech

Rawalpindi cops banned from posting on TikTok

Police officers in Rawalpindi have been banned from posting on the short video-making app, TikTok, after a video went viral, the media reported on Tuesday

Published

on

Tik Tok

Police officers in Rawalpindi have been banned from posting on the short video-making app, TikTok, after a video went viral, the media reported on Tuesday.

The police department of the Pakistan twin city has warned that if a video of any officer goes viral on social media, irrespective of whether it is TikTok, Facebook or YouTube, strict departmental action will be taken, The Express Tribune reported.

The new rules were communicated on Monday in a letter issued by Rawalpindi CPO Ahsan Younas to divisional SPs, circle officers and station house officers.

The letter stated that posting videos on social media and going viral presents a negative image of the department.

After the video went viral, at least one officer has been suspended.

Continue Reading

India

India, US need to jointly confront China’s threats to security: Pompeo in New Delhi

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Tuesday in the national capital said that India and the US need to jointly confront China’s threats to security in the Indian subcontinent and the Indo-Pacific

Published

on

mike pompeo

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Tuesday in the national capital said that India and the US need to jointly confront China’s threats to security in the Indian subcontinent and the Indo-Pacific.

Speaking at the third India-US 2+2 ministerial dialogue in New Delhi, amidst the ongoing face-off between Indian and Chinese troops along the Line of Actual Control in Ladakh, Pompeo discussed several issues from “cooperating on defeating the pandemic that originated in Wuhan, to confronting the Chinese Communist Party’s threats to security and freedom, to promoting peace and stability throughout the region”.

As per an official statement of the US government, Indian Minister of External Affairs S. Jaishankar at the meeting raised the issue of security threat India is facing from China. “In the area of defence we are challenged by reckless aggression on our northern borders,” he said at the bilateral dialogue.

The meeting assumes significance because the US secretaries of the Trump administration travelled to New Delhi amidst Coronavirus pandemic even as an intense ongoing campaigning for the Presidential elections due on November 3 was underway in the US.

“Our friendship and commitment to a free and open Indo-Pacific was clearly, clearly highly on display when we were in Tokyo this past week and a half for the Quad meeting that Minister Jaishankar and I had with our Australian and Japanese friends earlier this month,” Pompeo told his counterpart.

The US secretary of state said, “Today is real opportunity for two great democracies like ours to grow closer, as I said on my trip to India last year when I called for a new age of ambition in our relationship. I think we’ve delivered on that over this past year. There is much more work to do for sure.”

Together, India and the US are building a better future for “our people based on our shared set of values and our cultures, our defence ties, our scientific collaboration, and mutual prosperity. I thank you for your leadership to each of you to build what ought to be a defining partnership of democracies in the 21st century,” he added.

Jaishankar, at the 2+2 Dialogue said that as the global economy has taken a massive hit due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Indian government has to quickly make up for the losses as economic downturn will have both domestic and external consequences.

According to the US Department of State statement, Secretary of Defence Mark T. Esper, at the meeting with his counterpart Defence Minister Rajnath Singh pointed out that Tuesday marked the 15th anniversary of the first US-India Defence framework.

“We have strengthened our defence and security partnership considerably since then, especially over the past year, during which we advanced our regional security, military-to-military, and information-sharing cooperation. Our focus now must be on institutionalizing and regularizing our cooperation to meet the challenges of the day and uphold the principles of a free and open Indo-Pacific well into the future,” he said.

The two sides discussed key opportunities to expand their efforts on “regional security concerns” and to advance their “defence priorities”, to include increasing information sharing and mutual logistics operations between their militaries.

Jaishankar in his remarks said that at a time when it is particularly important to uphold a rules-based international order, the ability of India and the US to work closely in defence and foreign policy has a larger resonance. “Together we can make a real difference when it comes to regional and global challenges, whether it is in respecting territorial integrity, promoting maritime domain awareness, counterterrorism, or creating prosperity,” he added.

Continue Reading

World

7 dead, 70 injured in Peshawar madrasa blast

At least seven people were killed and 70 others injured during a blast at a madrasa in Peshawar, according to authorities

Published

on

Peshawar madrasa blast

At least seven people were killed and 70 others injured during a blast at a madrasa in Peshawar, according to authorities.

The incident took place “during a Quran class” in the Jamia Zuberia madrasa located in the city’s Dir Colony, reports Dawn news.

According to a spokesperson in Peshwar’s Lady Reading Hospital, four of the victims were students between the ages of 20 to 25.

Meanwhile, a senior police official confirmed that two teachers were among the wounded.

Senior Superintendent of Police (Operations) Mansoor Aman confirmed the explosion, saying that initial reports suggest an improvised explosive device (IED) was used.

“Five kgs of explosives were used in the blast,” Dawn news quoted Aman as saying.

No terror group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far.

After visiting the blast site, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Health Minister Taimur Saleem Jhagra told reporters that the focus was on providing the injured the best possible treatment to increase their chances of recovery.

Prime Minister Imran Khan “strongly condemned” the blast and prayed for the quick recovery of the injured.

Former Prime Minister and PML-N supremo Nawaz Sharif also condemned the blast, saying that those who targeted the madrasah “could not be Muslims”.

Continue Reading

Most Popular

Corona Virus (COVID-19) Live Data

COVID-19 affects different people in different ways. Most infected people will develop mild to moderate illness and recover without hospitalization.