Attackers were 'highly politically motivated',cops did nothing: Kanhaiya tells Supreme Court panel | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Attackers were ‘highly politically motivated’,cops did nothing: Kanhaiya tells Supreme Court panel – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

India

Attackers were ‘highly politically motivated’,cops did nothing: Kanhaiya tells Supreme Court panel

Published

on

Kanhaiya-kumar-wefornews

Arrested JNUSU president Kanhaiya Kumar said his attackers in court seemed “highly motivated” while police didn’t intervene.

Kanhaiya told a Supreme Court-appointed lawyers’ probe panel that he was beaten up, pushed to the ground and injured by men in lawyers’ robes before the police, when he was brought to the Patiala House court premises on February 17. “The police escorting me tried to save me but they were also beaten up,” he said adding that in another instance when he was attacked, the police did not do anything.

Kanhaiya Kumar, in a video , said the the mob that beat him up at the Patiala House Court seemed to be “highly politically motivated” and “well prepared for the attack”.

Kanhaiya Kumar and a few journalists were assaulted at the Patiala House Courts complex on February 15 and 17.

The Delhi Police did not take any action while the attackers escaped, he said in the video which CNN-IBN said is footage of Kanhaiya Kumar testifying before a Supreme Court-appointed panel investigating the court violence.

Kanhaiya Kumar said the lawyers’ mob was prepared since as soon as they saw him at the entrance of the complex, he heard them calling other people to tell them Kanhaiya had arrived.

The lawyers started attacking me while raising slogans, he added.

He also told the panel that the mob also attacked the police officials who escorted him.

“The lawyers kept beating me right from the front gate till the court room. One of the attackers managed to enter the corridor of the court with me. He was also present in the room adjoining the court room, where proceedings were scheduled to be held,” said Kanhaiya Kumar.

“I informed the Delhi Police present in the court that he is the person who attacked me. The attacker was not even dressed in lawyer’s uniform. Delhi Police didn’t even try to arrest him and the attacker fled from the spot. I was disrobed during the attack and also lost my footwear,” he added.

Asked by the panel how police failed to provide securityand allowed the attacker inside, Deputy Commissioner of Police, New Delhi, Jatin Narwal said that he immediately rushed to the spot but could not recognize the attacker since he came with the South district personnel, while an official from the South district said the man claimed to be Kanhaiya Kumar’s lawyer.

Outgoing Delhi Police Commissioner B.S. Bassi on Saturday said he has asked the case be transferred to the Special Cell, since it needed “focused investigation” and local police “would not be able to put the focus which the case demands as they have to deal with numerous routine law and order affairs”.

India

COVID-19: Sanitisation drive taken up at Parliament

After an inspection by Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla to prevent the spread of Covid-19 in Parliament House, the Lok Sabha Secretariat had previously conducted a similar exercise on March 21.

Published

on

By

Parliament of India

New Delhi, May 30 : In the face of six novel coronavirus cases reported in Parliament so far, different civic agencies on Saturday undertook a sanitization drive in all buildings of the British-era complex.

Central Public Works Department (CPWD), New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) and other agencies participated in the drive that included sanitization of all indoor and outdoor areas, individual offices, restrooms, and all common areas.

After an inspection by Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla to prevent the spread of Covid-19 in Parliament House, the Lok Sabha Secretariat had previously conducted a similar exercise on March 21.

On that occasion, Birla said that awareness and restraint are key to corona prevention.

Thereafter, several such exercises were undertaken on a periodic basis.

In the exercise held on Saturday, CPWD, NDMC and other allied agencies, working within the Parliament, used specialized equipment and strong chemical disinfectants like Sodium Hydrochloride to ensure sanitation in and around Parliament.

The sanitation drive was conducted as a precautionary measure and to minimize contact between officials working within the complex. Currently, as per Lok Sabha Secretariat orders, a certain number of officers and staff are required to work from home.

Continue Reading

India

Govt in lockdown exit mode limits curbs to containment zones till June 30

Night Curfew shall continue to remain in force on the movement of individuals for all non-essential activities. However, the revised timings of the curfew will be from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.

Published

on

By

delhi hotspot coronavirus

New Delhi, May 30 : The Centre on Saturday took an exit step from the 68-day nationwide lockdown, declaring that the restrictions will be limited only to containment zones up to June 30 and that the prohibited activities will be opened in a phased manner in areas outside these zones, allowing restaurants, malls, religious places and education sectors to open in a phased manner.

Applicable from Monday, June 1, the fresh order issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) spoke of the expanded fresh guidelines a day ahead of the end of lockdown 4.0.

“In exercise of powers under section 6 (2) (i) of the Disaster Management Act, 2005, the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) has directed the undersigned to issue an order to extend the lockdown in containment zones up to June 30, and reopen prohibited activities in a phased manner in areas outside the containment zones,” the order read.

“Therefore, in exercise of the powers conferred under section 10 (2)(l) of the Disaster Management Act 2005, it is directed that the guidelines will remain in force up to June 30. With effect from June 1 to June 30, the lockdown 5.0 will be limited only to containment zones and only a elimited number of activities will remain prohibited throughout the country'”, it added.

As per the order, international air travel, operation of Metro Rail, cinema halls, gymnasiums, swimming pools, entertainment parks, theatres, bars, auditoriums, assembly halls, and political, sports, entertainment, academic, cultural and religious functions, and other large congregations will remain prohibited.

Based on extensive consultations held with the states and Union Territories (UTs), the guidelines have allowed all activities that were prohibited earlier in areas outside the containment zones in a phased manner, with the stipulation of following the standard operating procedures (SOPs), to be prescribed by the Health Ministry.

The Covid-19 pandemic has so far infected over 1.73 lakh people in India, claiming the lives of 4,971 people across the country.

During lockdown 5.0, in Phase I, religious places and places of worship, hotels, restaurants and other hospitality services, and shopping malls will be permitted to open from June 8. The Health Ministry will issue SOPs for the above activities, in consultation with the Central ministries, the concerned departments and other stakeholders, for ensuring social distancing.

In Phase II, schools, colleges, educational, training and coaching institutions will be opened after consultations with the states and UTs.

As per the MHA order, state governments and UT administrations have been advised to hold consultations at the institution level with parents and other stakeholders. Based on the feedback, a decision on the re-opening of these institutions will be taken in July.

In Phase III, dates for their opening will be decided based on the assessment of the situation.

The lockdown shall continue to be implemented strictly in the containment zones. These will be demarcated by the state and UT governments, after taking into consideration the guidelines issued by the Health Ministry.

Within the containment zones, strict perimeter control shall be maintained and only essential activities will be allowed. There shall be no restriction on inter-state and intra-state movement of persons and goods.

No separate permission, approval or e-permit will be required for such movements. However, if a state or UT, based on reasons of public health and its assessment of the situation, proposes to regulate movement of persons, it will give wide publicity in advance regarding the restrictions to be placed on such movements.

Night Curfew shall continue to remain in force on the movement of individuals for all non-essential activities. However, the revised timings of the curfew will be from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.

States and UTs, based on their assessment of the situation, may prohibit certain activities outside the containment zones, or impose such restrictions as deemed necessary.

Vulnerable persons such as persons above 65 years of age, persons with co-morbidities, pregnant women and children below the age of 10 years are advised to stay at home, except for meeting essential requirements and for health purposes, the order said.

Continue Reading

Cities

20 new containment zones formed in Delhi; 122 total

Covid cases in the national capital crossed the 18,000 mark on Saturday.

Published

on

By

covid lockdown delhi

New Delhi, May 30 : The number of Containment Zones in the national capital rose to 122 on Saturday with 20 new being formed in the last 24 hours, according to Delhi Government.

Among the 20 new containment zones, one is in East, three in North, three in south-east and 13 in West zone.

The highest 24 containment zones are in the North district. The South East has 17 containment zones while the South district has 12 zones.

Among those having the least zones is the New Delhi district with three zones.

The South West has 12 such zones while the North West districts has 13 containment zones.

The Central district has seven zones and the North East district has four zones while Shahdara district has eight zones.

Six containment zones are in the East district.

So far, total 53 zones have been de-contained, as per the data shared by the Delhi government on Saturday — the highest 12 from the West district. On Saturday, three zones were freed — two in the south-east district and one in the South district.

Covid cases in the national capital crossed the 18,000 mark on Saturday.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular