Connect with us

Cities

I-T detects Rs 871 crore scam in Rajkot bank

Published

on

black money
File Photo

NEW DELHI, 9 Jan: The income tax (I-T) department has found huge alleged discrepancies in the transactions of a Rajkot based cooperative bank.

Reportedly Rs 871 crore deposits were made, over 4,500 new accounts opened and over five dozen accounts were found of having same mobile number initiated, making it one of the biggest cases of black fund generation post-November 8.

The department’s Ahmedabad probe wing has now launched an inquiry under tax laws and has sought complete details from the bank after it conducted survey operations against it sometime back and found large irregularities.

Accoridng to the officials, the department’s investigation till now has found that cash deposits of Rs 871 crore, widely through old notes of Rs 500 and Rs 1000, was made in this bank between November 9-December 30 last year while Rs 108 crore was withdrawn during the same period in a highly suspicious manner not commensurate with the bank’s activities during the same period in 2015 or at other times.

The sleuths have identified at least 25 high value cash deposits post demonetization where Rs 30 crore monies have been transacted in an alleged suspicious and unsatisfactory manner and in accounts with purported weak KYC norms in place. An I-T analysis report prepared in this regard states that Rs 10 crore funds were deposited in a number of “dormant” accounts post the currency scrap, including in that of a petroleum firm where Rs 2.53 crore was deposited.

What has startled the taxman has been the fact that a total of “4,551 new accounts were opened in the bank post demonetization as against the average 5,000 of such accounts usually opened in the full year while 62 of these were opened using one mobile number.” It was detected, they said, that there were blatant discrepancies in the pay-in slips filled to make the deposits as none of them had PAN numbers quoted, many had no signatures of the depositor even as none had any documents to reflect the source of these amounts.

“It was found that the son of bank’s ex-director has received Rs 1 crore through cash deposits in 30 bank accounts. All the pay-in slips were filled by the same person. “Also, the mother of the vice-chairman of the bank has received 64 lakh of cash deposits which have ultimately been transferred to a jeweller,” the report alleged and added the funds moved through RTGS and other banking transfer channels.

Wefornews Bureau

Cities

Bihar: 2 Bombs found in Bodh Gaya, security beefed up

Published

on

Patna, Jan 20: At least two bombs were found at one of the emergency gates of the Maha Bodhi temple in Bihar’s Bodh Gaya on Friday late night. 

Additional forces of Central Reserve Police and Bihar Military Police have been deployed at the pilgrimage centre.

The news comes amid tight security measures in view of Tibetan religious guru Dalai Lama’s stay.

Gaya Senior Superintendent of Police Garima Mallick told News18 that bombs were safely removed from Kalchakra Maidan, where Dalia Lama takes spiritual lessons during the day and taken away near river Falgu where Bomb disposal squad will defuse it.

Lama is on his visit to the city since January 2.

Significantly, the Mahabodhi temple complex had been the target of serial bomb blasts in July 2013, injuring five people, including two monks.

WeForNews 

Continue Reading

Cities

West Bengal: 7 killed as bus slipped of road in Beldanga

Published

on

Kolkata , Jan 20: At least seven people dead, 20 injured after a bus slipped of the road in Beldanga on Saturday. Kolkata , Jan 20: At least seven people dead, 20 injured after a bus slipped of the road in Beldanga on Saturday. 

WeForNews 

Continue Reading

Cities

EC recommends disqualification of 20 AAP MLAs

An angry AAP said the Election Commission had never “touched this low”, and insinuated that the prime minister was behind the action.

Published

on

kejriwal-sisodia

In a blow to Delhi’s ruling Aam Admi Party, the Election Commission on Friday recommended to the President the disqualification of 20 of its MLAs for holding office of profit, setting the stage for their ouster from the Assembly

In its opinion sent to President Ram Nath Kovind on Friday morning, the Election Commission said the MLAs, by occupying the post of parliamentary secretaries between March 13, 2015 and September 8, 2016, held office of profit, and were liable to be disqualified as legislators, highly-placed sources said

The President is bound to go by the recommendation of the Commission. Under the rules, petitions to the President seeking disqualification of lawmakers are referred to the EC

The poll panel takes a decision and sends its recommendation to the Rashtrapati Bhavan which is accepted

In the present case, the petition was made to disqualify 21 MLAs, but one resigned a few months back

Once the President accepts the opinion, by-elections will have to be held for the 20 Assembly seats

The AAP has a massive majority in the 70-member Delhi assembly with 65 seats, and the impending disqualification will not endanger the Arvind Kejriwal government though the number of party MLAs will come down to 45

An angry AAP said the Election Commission had never “touched this low”, and insinuated that the prime minister was behind the action

“The EC should not be the letter box of the PMO. But that is the reality today,” AAP leader Ashutosh tweeted

The Congress, which ruled the state for a long time, welcomed the EC decision, with its Delhi unit chief Ajay Maken saying Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has lost the right to be in power after the EC decision

Regretting that the Election Commission allowed “undue” adjournments to AAP MLAs that cost the people of Delhi dearly, the BJP’s Delhi chief Manoj Tiwari said the party stands prepared for elections “any moment”

“We welcome the EC decision disqualifying 20 AAP MLAs

Arvind Kejriwal should take responsibility for moral defeat and resign,” he said

There, however, was no official word from the Commission

When contacted, Chief Election Commissioner A K Joti said since the matter is sub-judice, he would not offer any comment on the issue

The 20 MLAs set to be disqualified include, Adarsh Shastri (Dwarka), Alka Lamba (Chandni Chowk), Anil Bajpai (Gandhi Nagar), Avtar Singh (Kalkaji), Kailash Gahlot (Najafgarh) — who is also a minister — Madan Lal (Kasturba Nagar), Manoj Kumar (Kondli), Naresh Yadav (Mehrauli), Nitin Tyagi (Laxmi Nagar), Praveen Kumar (Jangpura)

Others are: Rajesh Gupta (Wazirpur), Rajesh Rishi ( Janakpuri), Sanjeev Jha (Burari), Sarita Singh (Rohtas Nagar), Som Dutt (Sadar Bazar), Sharad Kumar (Narela), Shiv Charan Goel (Moti Nagar), Sukhbir Singh (Mundka), Vijendar Garg (Rajinder Nagar) and Jarnail Singh (Tilak Nagar).

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular