NEW DELHI: Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, who is in Talkatora Stadium for the Congress Working Committee meeting, is addressing the convention. The convention – named the Jan Vedna Sammelan – that began at around 10 am today discussed matters on Congress’ future course of action for protest against the government’s demonetisation move. Rahul Gandhi said it is a clash between two philosophies. Congress says ‘don’t fear’ and BJP says ‘fear’, ‘scare them’. He also questions PM Modi’s demonetisation move and asked him how much black money came back from foreign bank accounts after the currency was banned. “While the honest people stood in line, the corrupt sat at home,” Mr Gandhi said.
Here are the highlights:
- We told the farmers not to fear anybody…your land is yours…Never have fear…but what did Narendra Modi do? Instill fear in the minds of people…farmers fear that their land will be taken from them.
- Wherever he goes…whichever state it may be…he creates fear and these people then convert fear to anger. We are quite the opposite. We in fact, protect the people and encourage them to be fearless.
- Modi ji said demonetisation is a surgical strike on corruption.
- Talking about surgical strikes, let me tell you something – they said after surgical strike, India’s army is like the Israeli Army. Does that mean they were lesser than the Israeli Army before that? On the other hand, we say that India’s Army was, is, and forever will be better than the Israeli Army.
- He is fooling the people by saying ‘Make in India’, ‘Skill India’, ‘Digital India’, ‘Swachh Bharat’. He thinks only he is wise and the rest of India is foolish.
- We are a wise country and we sent the British back, we won’t be fooled by you. You tell me can one man run a country alone?
- Think about it, your entire future is in Modi ji’s hands alone.
- Modi ji speaks of black money. I ask him where is the black money? How much did you bring back from foreign bank accounts.
- Modi ji did a surgical strike on the poor, the farmer, the middle class without consulting the RBI, within a matter of hours, demonetisation was announced. The entire institution of RBI was destroyed in a matter of hours.
- Demonetisation was done just so that the bad loans worth 8 lakh crore, that Modi ji’s friends are responsible for, can be written off. The rest of India was made to pay for this. Mark my words, this will happen.
- The poor man’s money will go into the pockets of these people –Gareebo ka paisa kheencho, Ameero ko seecho.