The art of healing dates to centuries, much before the invention of modern medicine. These healings were based on the concept of faith, and inner strength of people that would help them tide over the treacherous times. One such powerful healing is the Hawaiian prayer of healing through forgiveness, the Ho’oponopono. The word literally translates to make right. Ho’o means ‘to make ‘and pono ‘right‘– the double use of pono means with both yourself and others. It helps in restoring harmony within the soul and with others.
Ho’oponopono can be regarded as a miracle healing element where the one practicing is responsible for his own emotions, feelings & life experiences. The concept of exterior world affecting one’s life and decisions is a concept that is alien to this prayer & healing technique. In fact, those who practice Ho’oponopono believe that it is something within us, a certain darkness or block in the consciousness that is acting as a catalyst for the negative scenario that we experience in our lives from time to time. This ancient healing practice is regarded as a spiritual cleanser and when practiced daily, performs a regular deep cleaning of the mind, body and soul.
The Elements of Ho’oponopono
Ho’oponopono has helped several people who digress from their respective paths and derelict their duties. This true story of a Hawaiian therapist, Dr. Hew Len, who cured an entire ward of criminally insane patients, without ever meeting any of them or spending a moment in the same room through Hooponopono. He reviewed each of the patients’ files, and then he healed them by healing himself. Such is the power of this healing method. Since faith and belief transcends all physical elements, it is not necessary for the affected and the healer to share a common physical space. This is the beauty of Ho’oponopono.
Ho’oponopono stands on the pillars of “I am sorry. Please forgive me. Thank you. I love you.” The right way of practicing it is to adhere to the following practices diligently.
● Admitting responsibility, “I’m sorry” – It is not easy to accept responsibility and apologise for the wrong doings. Since Ho’oponopono believes that it is our internal conundrum that is resulting in unpleasant situations outside, the first step to healing is admitting to the fact that there is something wrong dwelling inside you. However, for many, saying sorry is easier said than done. This takes time and, in some cases, wisdom.
● Asking for forgiveness, “Please forgive me” – Now that you have accepted the responsibility of the misgivings externally, it is time to acknowledge it by asking for an apology from the universe. Asking for forgiveness is like a soothing balm on scalding wound.
● Expressing gratitude, “Thank you” – Next step to healing is by expressing gratitude. Saying thank you is a way of accepting the change that came in via responsibility and forgiveness and you are truly glad that things are taking a positive turn. Gratitude is an emotion that can be understood by any living creature. You can say you’re thanks to the divine or to the universe, it is your choice, but it is a very important step towards healing.
● Giving love, “I love you” – Like gratitude, love is a universal feeling as well. When someone feels loved, they feel a bundle of emotions like happiness and security of being wrapped in a warm cocoon. Love is one of the most prominent universal forces and by saying ‘I love you’ you are not only relaying your thoughts of care and affection but also emitting feelings of endearment and tenderness helps accelerate the healing process.
It is imperative that as you repeat the prayers, you should hold the vision of what you are clearing out. You can repeat it multiple times, any time of the day to accelerate the healing process. Those practicing Ho’oponopono, can undertake the following routine to get the best out of this healing session.
● Repeat the prayer several times.
● Practice this first thing in the morning as our minds are fresh, clear and in a meditative state that can allow deeper concentration & penetration.
● Practice this before sleep as the prayers will seep into the subconscious mind for a deeper healing.
● Maintain a healing cycle of 21 days. It is said that it takes 21 days to reprogram the subconscious mind and form a habit.
● Feel the words that you say and if you feel overwhelmed, let it all out. This is important as it rids of the clog and allow the flow of natural energy.
Unlike many healing processes, Ho’oponopono does not require any sort of intervention of a third party. This healing process can be carried on our own, in one’s privacy. You can say the prayer in your head or out loud. All that matters is the intent, feeling and the willingness to heal.
● Reduces stress and improves your quality of life
● Deals with negative feelings when someone has upset you or hurt you
● A powerful forgiveness mantra
● Helps to approach the future with a clean slate
● Improves mental and physical health
● Improves relationships with others (living & dead)
● Helps in better dealing of emotions
● Helps in depression & anxiety
● Resolves conflicts
● Helps to better understand our deeper self and improve inner strength
The solution that Ho’oponopono offers is to clean the debris from our minds and hearts. It is a mindfulness technique that helps you focus on the present. Call it a reset button which when pushed, catapults our mind to the state zero, a clean slate from which we can start our journey again with no malice or darkness following us.
With a fresh start, you will be able to evolve yourself into a wiser being and elevate your mind to greater heights to achieve peace, tranquility and true happiness.