New Delhi, October 20: To combat rising ire of students over the inaction in missing JNU student’s case, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh has directed Delhi Police to set up a special task force to trace Najeeb Ahmed, who is missing from past five days.
According to Home Ministry spokesperson K.S. Dhatwalia, Home Minister Rajnath Singh has spoken to Delhi Police Commissioner Alok Kumar Verma today. He has asked him to make a special team and submit a report on the whole episode.
Delhi Police also announced a reward of Rs 50,000 for information about missing Najeeb Ahmed.
JNU VC rejected allegations of inaction and said said they had written to the police and an inquiry by the university will be expedited and the “guilty” will be punished. He also warned students of action against them due to heavy protests.
He said university is sincere in locating Najeeb but few students are continuing with their “illegal” activity and “the law will take its course.”
Addressing a press conference today, the VC said: We have been confined illegally in the administration building since 2.30pm yesterday (Wednesday). We had a series of meeting with the students explaining the number of steps that we have taken in search of the missing student. However the students are very adamant and not letting us go out of this building. They said they have several demands and the administration has to concede those.
“It is very wrong to confine the vice-chancellor and other officials of the university. JNU is a big institution. Students should concentrate on studies. They should carry all their activities within the frameworks of law and order,” Rijiju told reporters.
Yesterday agitated JNU students confined the vice chancellor, M Jagadesh Kumar along with 12 other officials in the university’s administrative building in the afternoon. The siege is ended now.
The student, Najeeb Ahmed, is missing since Saturday after a brawl in the campus, the previous night. A large section of students has been staging protest in the campus since then.