June 19, Monday: Today the ruling party BJP nominated Bihar Governor Ram Nath Kovind as its presidential candidate who belongs to Dalit community. Kovind was born on October 1, 1945 in Village Paraunkh, Tehsil Derapur District Kanpur Dehat.
Ram Nath Kovind is a member of the Parliament since 1994 and by profession, he is a lawyer and BCom Graduate.
Mr. Kovind, was Central Government Advocate in Delhi High Court from 1977 to 1979 and Centre’s Standing Counsel in Supreme Court from 1980 to 1993. He became registered advocate of the Supreme Court of India in 1978.
He was elected to Rajya Sabha from Uttar Pradesh during the two terms of 1994-2000 and 2000-2006.
Kovind is a former President of the BJP Dalit Morcha (1998-2002) and he also served as President of the All-India Koli Samaj.
Not only this, he was also a national spokesperson of the Bhartiya Janta Party.
He was appointed as the Governor of Bihar on 8 August in 2015 by the President of India.
Mr Kovind has done lots of work for the welfare of backward castes, is emerged as a champion of Dalits and comes from a humble background.
He served as a member of several prominent committees and such as:
- Parliamentary Committee on Welfare of Scheduled Castes/Tribes.
- Parliamentary Committee on Home Affairs.
- Parliamentary Committee on Petroleum and Natural Gas.
- Parliamentary Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment.
- Parliamentary Committee on Law and Justice.
- Chairman of Rajya Sabha House Committee.