Heavy, tall kids at higher risk of kidney cancer | WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs Heavy, tall kids at higher risk of kidney cancer – WeForNews | Latest News, Blogs
Connect with us

Health

Heavy, tall kids at higher risk of kidney cancer

Published

on

Kidney Cancer
Heavier and taller children are at higher risk of kidney cancer (Representative Image)
London, April 30: Heavier and taller children are more likely to develop kidney cancer as adults than their average-sized peers, warn researchers.

“We know that overweight in adulthood is associated with an increased risk of renal cell carcinoma (RCC). We also know that cancers take many years to develop. We, therefore, had a theory that already being overweight in childhood would increase the risk of RCC later in life,” said lead author Britt Wang Jensen from Bispebjerg and Frederiksberg Hospital in Denmark.

RCC is the most common form of kidney cancer found in adults.

For the study, the researchers included 301,422 individuals from the Copenhagen School Health Records Register born from 1930 to1985.

The weights and heights were measured at the ages seven to 13 years, and body mass index (BMI) was used to categorise the children as normal-weight or overweight, suggested by the International Obesity Task Force.

During a median of 32 years of observation, 1,010 individuals (680 men) were diagnosed with RCC.

Among men and women, significant and positive associations were observed between childhood BMI and height, respectively, and RCC risk.

Children who grew from average to above average height had an eight per cent increased risk of RCC, the study said.

“Our findings that heavier and taller children have increased risks of RCC open the door to new ways to explore the causes of kidney cancer,” Jensen said.

The study was presented at the European Congress on Obesity being held in Glasgow, Scotland from April 28 to May 1.

IANS

Health

Coronavirus: Fourth person in Mumbai Hospital for possible exposure

Published

on

By

Coronavirus

Mumbai: A 36-year-old man fourth person has been admitted in the isolation ward of a civic-run hospital on suspicion of possible exposure to the novel coronavirus, officials said on Monday.

The man, a resident of Tardeo in south Mumbai, is currently kept under observation at Kasturba Hospital in the city, they said.

Three persons were last week admitted in the hospital for possible exposure to the virus strain, after screening of passengers was done at the Mumbai international airport. All the three were hospitalised as precaution, officials had said on January 25.

Continue Reading

Election

Sandeep Dikshit lashes at Kejriwal for ailing health system

The Congress leader said hospital projects, launched by the previous governments, in Madipur, Sarita Vihar, Vikaspuri and Burari had remained incomplete.

Published

on

Sandeep Dixit

New Delhi, Jan 26: Congress leader Sandeep Dikshit accused the Arvind Kejriwal-led Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government of just doing a “make-up and plastic surgery” on the health system in Delhi.

The Delhi health system was developed by then Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, said two-time former Congress MP in his video series ‘Kaam ki Baat’. He is late Sheila Dikshit’s son.

Raising question over Mohalla Clinics, Dikshit said Kejriwal came up with the idea to hide his failure of not improving the health facilities. The AAP government had not opened a single hospital in the last five years, he added.

“The Delhi government (headed by the Congress) increased the number of hospitals from 18 to 39, beds from 4,000 to 12,000, doctors from 440 to 2,400 and dispensaries from 180 to 650,” the Congress leader claimed.

The Congress government had set up the best liver, cancer and orthopaedic hospitals, apart from trauma centres where anybody could seek free health services, Dikshit added.

The Congress leader said hospital projects, launched by the previous governments, in Madipur, Sarita Vihar, Vikaspuri and Burari had remained incomplete.

Many hospitals with finalised DPR could not be opened in five years, including the Mother and Child Hospital in Trilokpuri, he alleged.

The former MP said the free treatment touted by the AAP government was a farce as the facility was already in place for trauma cases when the earlier Congress government demitted the office.

Continue Reading

Blog

Is China suppressing the corona virus infections!

American cities are on high alert as two coronavirus cases are confirmed in Chicago and Washington while 1,000 Americans have been told to evacuate Ground Zero in Wuhan.

Published

on

By

Coronavirus

New Delhi, Jan 27: China is facing accusations from the world community of suppressing and playing down the coronavirus outbreak and the scale of infections which some reports say now I as high as 90,000 while the official Beijing figure is just 1,975.

International media reports have said cited a nurse treating coronavirus sufferers in China who claims 90,000 people have already been infected.

A nurse wearing a protective suit and face mask treating the sick in Wuhan has claimed that 90,000 people have already been infected by the coronavirus. However, the nurse’s report has been viewed almost two million times on YouTube. In the footage, she warns people not to go outside and to refrain from celebrating the Chinese New Year.

The animal virus epidemic originated in China, where it has infected more than 1,970 people and killed 56, and has spread worldwide.

International critics are saying that the China is censoring the numbers and sanitising videos from the internet. China’s President Xi Jinping has already warned of ‘grave situation’ as killer coronavirus accelerates.

American cities are on high alert as two coronavirus cases are confirmed in Chicago and Washington while 1,000 Americans have been told to evacuate Ground Zero in Wuhan.

Canadian authorities on Saturday confirmed the first case of coronavirus – a man in his 50s from Toronto.

The countries which have reported these cases include Singapore, Malaysaia, South Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Australia, Nepal, France, Canada, the US, Thailand, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau.

But the Global Times revealed that vital resources, including masks and goggles, were urgently needed. The accusations of a cover-up echo the furore surrounding the SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) epidemic in 2002 when the government concealed the existence of the illness not just from the outside world but from its own people.

Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam on Saturday declared a virus emergency in the city of 7.3 million, extending school cancellations until February 17 and cancelling all official visits to mainland China.

China has quarantined three cities in an effort to contain the spread of the coronavirus — encompassing a total population of some 35 million people.

Other reports say several cities are under lockdown with a combined population of 47 million including Wuhan, Huanggang, Ezhou, Chibi, Jingzhou, Zhijiang, Qianjiang, Xiantao, Xianning, Huangshi, Dangyang, Enshi, Xiaogan. Jingmen and Shantou.

Reports say that Wuhan continues to be under complete lockdown. Police have been stationed at the borders of Wuhan to block the roads preventing any sort of movement into the quarantined city. The city’s pharmacies have been swamped by people wanting to stock up on medicines.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Most Popular