New Delhi, March 16: The Delhi High Court on Thursday dismissed NRI televangelist Zakir Naik’s plea challenging a ban on his NGO Islamic Research Foundation (IRF), saying that the home ministry has “sufficient material for the immediate ban”.
Justice Sanjeev Sachdeva while rejecting Naik’s plea, said: “Immediate action appears to have been taken in the interest of sovereignty, integrity and maintenance of public order.”
Naik had filed a plea against the November 17, 2016 notification imposing an immediate ban on the IRF for five years under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.
The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) had earlier showed confidential documents before the court following which the decision to ban the foundation was made.
The government had contended that the IRF was banned as there was fear that youths could be “radicalised or motivated” to join terror groups.
Challenging the ban, the IRF had told the court that the notification did not give sufficient reasons and materials for taking such a step and that the ban was imposed without giving any showcause notice.