New Delhi, Sep 4: Bollywood has only one filmy khandaan and that is the Kapoor Khandaan. India’s tryst with films began with Prithviraj Kapoor and the real meaning of films and acting was brought out by Raj Kapoor. The generations that followed have continued with the legacy and were the best of their times!
Rishi Kapoor is the third generation of this Khandaan! The actor, who has turned 65 today,is one of the finest actors who could play the role of a romantic hero or a blood-chilling villain with equal dedication and emotion!
Rishi Kapoor, who became the heartthrob of millions after Bobby (1973), held his crown of one of the most liked Bollywood romantic heroes of all time till mid 90s. Then he switched to author-backed character roles.
The veteran actor of bollywood was born on 4th sep, 1952. His nick name is chintoo.
He kept himself relevant with films like Luck By Chance, Agneepath, Aurangzeb and D Day. He is still a favourite with filmmakers ready to experiment with older characters that require an established face.
He received the National Film Award for his debut role as a child artist in his father Raj Kapoor’s 1970 film Mera Naam Joker (1970).
Kapoor had his first lead role as an adult opposite Dimple Kapadia in 1973 with the film Bobby and received the Filmfare Best Actor Award in 1974. Bobby’s worldwide success launched him as a global movie star, domestically in India and overseas in the Soviet Union.
Subsequently, he played leading roles as the romantic lead in 92 films between 1973 and 2000. For his performance in Do Dooni Chaar, he won the Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor in 2011, and for his role in Kapoor & Sons, he won the Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor in 2017.
He was honoured with the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award in 2008. He appeared opposite his future wife Neetu Singh in twelve films from 1973 and 1981.
On his 65th birthday, here are some of his lesser known facts:
1. Very few are aware that Rishi was first seen in the film shree 420(1955) as a todler in the song”Pyar Hua Ikraar Hua”.
2. 20 Bollywood Actresses made debut opposite him.
3. Being a teenager, Rishi was in a relation with a girl named Yasmin.
4. Both Rishi Kapoor and his son and actor Ranbir Kapoor had done a ‘towel dropping’ scene in their debut films. Rishi had it in his debut film ‘Bobby’ in 1973 and Ranbir Kapoor had it in ‘Sawaariya’ in 2007.
5. He made his directorial debut with Aishwarya Rai and Akshaye Khanna starrer ‘Aa Ab Laut Chalen’.
6. It was actors Anuskha Sharma and Abhishek Bachchan who insisted him to join Twitter.His tweets had created storms on the internet. Sometimes fans came in his support, sometimes they refrained, but nothing stopped him.
7. For the film ‘Kapoor and sons’ he took 12-13 hours to wear the make up.
8. It was rumoured that he had an affair with his Bobby co-star Dimple Kapadia.But the relation did not last long.
9. In the film Amar Akbar Anthony, Rishi called Neetu with her real name ‘Neetu’ in the first scene. The scene was accidently not corrected and is still there in the film.
10. Neetu Kapoor’s mom was against her going out with Rishi and would send Neetu’s cousin to tag along every time the couple went out for a date.
This is our way of saying “Thank You” for having entertained us through the years, and continuing to surprise us with some great performances.
WeForNews Wishes the Veteran actor a very Happy and Healthy Birthday!