Gujarat : Fodder poisoning kills 65 cows in Kutch

Ahmadabad, July 6:  At least  65 cows and calves found dead due to fodder poisoning in Rapar taluka of Gujarat’s Kutch district on Sunday.

The post-mortem has revealed cyanide poisoning is the reason behind the death of cows as per The Indian Express report.

However, this the second instance reported from Kuch in about a year.

The incident took place at the Bakna Vid cattle pound of Shri Jivdaya Mandal, popularly known as Rapar panjrapol , which is located 7 km from Rapar town.

Rapar Panjrapol runs three cattle pounds in Rapar and its a home of around  8,000 animals.

Rajendra Kothari, Manager of the Shri Jivdaya Mandal, told IE , “After our caretakers complained of animals falling unconscious, we rushed some veterinarians to the spot. Unfortunately, of 95 sick cows and calves, we could save only 30.”

Rapar witnessed heavy rainfall last Thursday and it is reported that moderate rain also continued over the next two days. Following this earlier, it was speculated that flooding of the pound due to the rain caused the incident, but later the authorities refused it.

Shailesh Chaudhary, a government veterinary officer in Rapar ended the speculation by saying “Post-mortem of the cows  revealed that cows were died of cyanide poisoning, which had accumulated in green fodder they were fed Saturday afternoon. Cyanide content remains high in tender fodder, and drinking water after consuming such fodder can prove fatal for the cattle. However, these deaths are not related to rain.” IE qouted.

Meanwhile Kothari stated the millet fodder had bought from nearby villages like Kakarva, Adoi and others.

Wefoprnews Bureau

Total
3
Shares
Related Posts